PDA

View Full Version : Whimsical Wears or Ella Bag?

LaurelC
07-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Okay, ladies...I am trying to decide on an Ella Bag or WW bag. I have seen pics of all your WW bags, and they are truly gorgeous.
What are the pros/cons of each of these?? Does anyone have both and prefer one over the other?

If you have any pictures of either of these, I'd love to see 'em!

I have to admit, I am leaning slightly toward the Ella because of the 25% discount code...does anyone know of any discounts applicable to WW bags?

twofallbabies
07-19-2004, 11:22 AM
The one thing I like more about Ella is that they offer the metal clasp closing on their bags, and WW does not. But if price is a factor, I'd go with WW, because I think theirs are a little less expensive, even with the Ella discount. Plus, the Ella discount only applies if you buy 2 bags, I believe. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, though! :)

Ooops, wait, correcting myself: Read this post about the 25% discount: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=11347&mode=full&page=

Jessica, MD mama to
Dillon (9/18/98)
& Lucas (10/24/02)

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

pritchettzoo
07-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Hands down, Whimsical Wears. I have had two Ella diaper totes and a cosmetic case. One was a gift, and it was the better made of the bags (thank goodness!). Mine was absolutely hideous. I ordered the bags during the original co-op. I had to call about 3 times to get my order placed as messages and emails went unreturned. Then I got an email saying my bags had shipped. Then I got a call from Ella saying they'd lost my order. The bags arrived, but the straps on mine were the wrong length. I called and they said they would make another bag and have it ready to go when the other one arrived, and they suggested ordering a cosmetic case to make refunding my shipping easier. I was trying to be nice, so I did--and didn't get the co-op price on the cosmetic case. I was glad they were going to remake my bag because it was sewn terribly--the stitching was all over the place, the trim was way, way off where it came together, etc., etc. Well, when I got the bag back, all they had done was ripped out the straps and either put in longer ones or pulled the old ones out a couple of inches. The reason I could tell was that the old stitch holes were still in the "vinyl" lining. The new stitching was even worse, and the snap they added to the straps was way off center. By this time, the "vinyl" lining (really some sort of iron-on stuff similar to Contact paper) was all creased. I was so disgusted. I emailed Ella about the problem and got a fairly snotty response saying something about the problems being the mark of an artisan. I replied and got another response from a different person at Ella which was nicer, but after that, my emails and phone calls went unreturned. I'll attach the pictures so you can see the bag for yourself. I eventually gave up and donated the bag. I haven't bothered to take pictures of the cosmetic case, but it's got gaps and bulges in the stitching, and the zipper tag ripped out the first time I opened it. I found it in the PNP when I cleaned it out the other day--I totally forgot to include it with the bag.

Then the Whimsical Wears co-op came along. I ordered a bag to replace the Ella. Kim called when the fabric arrived because it was a very vibrant fabric and she wanted to make sure it would be okay--she even offered to order different fabric if I didn't think I would like the first, which would have meant her losing money to make a customer happy. I decided to go with the original fabric, and it turned out beautifully. The WW bag used far better materials (Ella's inside broadcloth was very cheap--you could count the thread count with the naked eye) whereas the WW bag had thick, smooth inner fabric. The WW pockets were deeper, a double layer of fabric, and completely finished; the Ella pockets were a single layer of cheap broadcloth and not finished inside so the raw edges showed. The WW bag had straight stitching! Kim is a fabulous seamstress. Oh, and the WW bag was less expensive than the Ella, even though more expensive materials and far more time went into it. The picture of my Whimsical Wears bag is on the front page of the website: www.whimsicalwears.com

Even without being on sale, the WW bag is probably less expensive than the Ella. I know her backpacks are 20% off this month. But if you want a bag for the fall, I've emailed Kim about doing another co-op. It won't start until mid/late August though. If you want a backpack, the 20% off is a great deal.

Ella Bag pics
The stitching inside (and it was this uneven all around the outside too):
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9351.jpg

The poorly matched band:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9352.jpg

The off-center snap:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9353.jpg

My second Whimsical Wears bag:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9354.jpg

Anna

lmladuke
07-19-2004, 11:48 AM
I only own a WW - so I can't give your a pro/con opinion based on personal experience. But it seems to me that if you are thinking of a tote or bakcpack, alot of the sizes and fabrics are similar. I think each designer offers certain accessories that the other does not - so it really depends on what you are looking for.

I must say though, that my personal experience working with Kim at WW on my bag was so pleasant. She is super helpful, has a wonderful personality, has a great sense of what will work (or won't work) She won't just sell you something to make $$ if she does not think it will come out good (I'm not saying Ella-bags does that - I am just saying Kim is a GREAT businesswoman) and her work is wonderful.

I think Kim will do another co-op soon as I know she is working on some new styles - but she got so slammed with orders from the last one, she is probably just getting time to breathe!

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan 7/27/01
and to Baby Girl EDD 7/31/04

saschalicks
07-19-2004, 03:47 PM
I too have no experience with the Ella bag, but my WW experience like everyone elses was fantastic. Kim is one in a million. She called me as well to inform me that my choices were going to be "too busy" together. We discussed alternatives, but what she put together was far better than I expected. My only prob was once I got it, I realized it was too small for my newborn's needs. I got the Elizabeth in case you are wondering. I can't wait until I can size down what I bring along, so that I can begin using my one of a kind bag. Working with Kim is worth not having a discount. I hope that helps.

LaurelC
07-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Wow, thanks all for your input. After reading your posts (and seeing the pics - thanks Anna!) I am no longer considering an Ella Bag.

I don't need the bag now...so I think that I will wait and see if there is indeed a coop.

thanks again!

anna - sorry you had such a bad experience, yuck!

lmariana
07-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Personally, I prefer my Ella over the WW bag. I've always had great customer service from Ella Bags and everything I've ever received from them has been perfect. I know they stand behind their product 100% (as I'm sure WW does too), and I know they will gladly work with you to guarantee your satisfaction. I think whenever you look at getting a "custom" bag, the designers will all take good care of their customers to protect their good name.

I love the new stabilizer that the Ella Bags is using now. It gives the bags a serious strength and durability. Two big thumbs up!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

kelly ann
07-19-2004, 07:19 PM
Laurel-

I have yet to read a post about WW where the poster does not rave about the product. In addition, Kim from WW allowed you to pick almost any fabric in the last co-op so it really opened up the doors for some unique and fabulous combinations.

Myself and others have had quality issues with Ella bags, but I like to think it just may have been a "glitch" in their normal production since I have not heard of any quality problems lately.

Have you looked at ISM bags? I think they are a little more expensive, but the quality is excellent and they use some heavy weight fabrics.

bethdg1
07-19-2004, 07:20 PM
I have no experience with Ella bags but I simply adore my WW bag. I receive compliments and inquiries everywhere I take the bag.

jasabo
07-19-2004, 07:32 PM
I have an Ella and a WW and I've been happy with them both. Yes, Ella has had some "quality assurance" problems in the past that have been posted on this bb, but there are many people that have received wonderful bags and are very happy with them. Also, I understand they've started using a new stabilizer/interfacing which works very well and they've got some new additions - metal strap clasps, etc., which WW doesn't offer. I personally really like the metal clip fastener thingy (I'm terrible at explaining things - sorry) that Ella offers. And I also like those new square metal strap attachments - Gina had them on the bag she just ordered and it looked amazing. WW makes beautiful bags too though. Very substantial and workmanship is wonderful.

I've had good customer service with both companies. I ordered my Ella "rush" because I wanted it right away, and I had it within one week and received great customer service. I've also received fabulous customer service from Kim at WW. She's so friendly and wonderful to work with.

I'd recommend going with whichever company makes the bag you like at the price you can afford just because you'll hear good and bad stories about both. JMO though.

Have fun shopping!!

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

lmariana
07-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Very well said Lisa!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003