PDA

View Full Version : Skip Hop Organizational Questions

mom2bes
07-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi,
I posted before that I was interested in getting a Skip Hop for my P3. I went to Norsdstroms yeserday to check them out, but didn't get one yet.
My concern: I don't think I can fit everyting in! I am curious how others are organizing their bags.
I usually carry 3 Avent bottles (9oz) in a bottle bag & a Sassy formula dispenser with me....these things alone pretty much filled the main compartment! I also usually have: a change of clothes, diapers, wipes, pacifier, burp cloths, etc (the usual). My bottles seem to be the problem! I am interested in hearing what the rest of you are doing.
Also, I usually fill my bottles with hot water before leaving the house & put them in an insulated bottle bag to keep them warm...then mix the formula when it's feeding time. Is there a better way???
TIA!!

heatherlynn
07-20-2004, 10:59 AM
I keep looking at the Skip Hops; I like the way they look, as well as the organization, but I don't think it will hold enough for me either. I think it would be better for a toddler when you don't have to carry so much stuff, although everyone says that it can hold a lot. I went w/ an Alpha7 for now. I've thought about getting a Skip Hop for later, but by then, something better/improved may come out.

Re: the formula - well, when my dd was a baby, one night she screamed so loud waiting for us to warm the bottle, that we just decided to give it to her practically cold. She was fine with that and that's how we did it from then on. No problems. With this guy, I plan to just give him room temperature formula (fill bottles w/ water, let them sit out, and put formula in when he's ready to eat. We'll see how it goes, though.

Oh, one thing about the Alpha - I don't think the Avent bottles fit in the side pockets, but I'm not sure. I can't remember if people said they didn't fit or if it was just a tight fit.

Good luck.

H-
Heather
dd Gabrielle 3/98
ds 8/04

lmariana
07-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Hi!

About the formula...
In the beginning I tried every single way imaginable! I would pack up to 8 feedings in bottles in my Baby Sherpa cooler compartment, buy the expensive Enfamil ready-to-feed Nursettes, bring the whole container of formula...etc. Here's what I do now. I carry a formula container and a clean bottle, that's it. Our ped told us to just use cold tap water for mixing. Gabe actually prefers his bottle a little cool or room temp!

If you're having to do multiple feedings while out, have you considered the Playtex Nurser bottles? You just buy a couple bottles, and then get the liners and nipples separately. This is my favorite way to travel, because you don't have to wash bottles! I just bring one Playtex nurser bottle, a bunch of liners, and several nipples. That way you just toss the used liners and hand wash the nipples...much easier and hand washing a ton of bottles. :)

I switched from the Avent bottles after some bad, bad leakage issues that destroyed one of my diaper bags. :( Oh, I'll also mention something I've learned about formula. In my experience...Enfamil is the hardest to mix at room temp, Similac is pretty good, but the generic Walmart formula is the easiest to mix at room temp. My ped. suggested it and said it is actually made by Similac...just priced a lot cheaper! It's like $10 less per tub.

About the Skip Hop...
Based on how you pack now, the Skip Hop is too small, and so is the Alpha 7 (the exterior bottle pockets are too narrow). You'd like the Fleurville Mothership size though. Although it seems really large at first, once you pack it up you will see why many of us love it.

I feel like I'm rambling, but I hope this helps a bit!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

icunurse
07-20-2004, 11:32 AM
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the Skip Hop IRL! I wondered how I would fit everything in it. But then I took inventory of my current bags and realized that, if I ever got one, it would be more of an "outing" bag, meaning I would use it for short errands or a run to the mall. For anyone who uses one - do you feel like you have to pile things on top of each other at all?
As far as the formula issue goes...I just keep the gallon of nursery water out for room temp feedings. DS has never complained and it makes it a lot easier when out and about to not have to heat up the water.
Traci
~Connor's Mom~

debbiet.
07-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Hello All,

I e-mailed Skip Hop a week ago, asking them if they will be doing any new bags.

The answer was yes, a wider bag is coming in the early fall with even more pockets. I will be looking out for that! I really need something when I fly with Joelle, especially since I am always bringing the stroller! I am such a heavy packer for he plane. Tons of food, drinks, and layers of clothing, plus toys, books etc! You would think we'd be on that plane for a month :)

Debbie
Mommy to Joelle

Chelsey333
07-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Maybe you should try the Loom Marsupial or Alpha 7 instead? They would probably fit your bottle bag. I have the Skip Hop but don't use bottles much yet. That is a great idea, to travel with water that is already warm - I never thought of that when I had my first.

urbanmama
07-20-2004, 03:09 PM
I definitely agree with Mariana. I think that the Skip Hop is waaaay too small for everything you carry. Mine is filled up pretty well and I don't have to carry bottles, formula, a change of clothes, a burp cloth, etc. You really might want to consider the Mothership.

Marie

mom2bes
07-20-2004, 07:34 PM
WOW....thanks for all the feedback!
Unfortunately, I don't think a Fleurville bag is really in the budget right now :-(
I guess I'll keep using by backpack for now. I just hate how it seems to be "crushing" the canopy of my P3 when the seat it reclined (I loop the backpack straps over the handles)....that's why I was really hoping the Skip Hop would work.
Maybe I'll try to hold out until fall & the larger Skip Hop will work.
BTW....does ANYONE who uses bottles / formula use the Skip Hop? If you do...I'd love to hear your packing process.
Thanks again everyone!!

saschalicks
07-20-2004, 09:35 PM
OK, I have the Skip Hop and use formula. I packed two bottles empty into the bag (I use Dr. Brown's bottles), a formula dispenser, two outfits, burp cloth, bib, 3 diapers, changing pad, wipes holder, rattle, roll of bags (used for picking up dog poop, but I use it for dirty diapers) and all of the little bottles of powder, etc. I put a bottle of Aquafina water in the outside mesh pocket. When it was time to make a bottle I just pored the water in to the empty bottles and then mixed in the formula. DS likes his bottles room temperature, so I don't worry about the water being cold/hot.

I pack the blanket and extra outfits at the bottom then the burp cloth and bib on top of that. One of the zipper pockets I use for the little bottles, pacifier and other baby needs the other pocket holds my wallet and personal stuff. The front pockets hold toys and my sunglass case the inside pockets hold the formula dispenser and the wipes holder. I put the two empty bottles in the big compartment on the side of the clothes and blanket. Changing pad, diapers and roll of bags goes in the back pocket. By the way, I use the changing pad that came with it, and I have another cloth one in there as well.

I really like the Skip Hop b/c like you I didn't have the $$$ for a Mothership, which is my dream bag. I know that I will get one for the holidays. I've already told DH that's what I want. Until then the Skip Hop is really working out well. I love the way it fits on my Combi Ultra Savvy.

I hope this helps!

kseltmann
07-20-2004, 09:50 PM
OK, I formula feed, but when we are out, we are not out all day... This is what I carry in my Skip Hop:
Large back outside pocket:
Burp Cloth
Changing Pad
Small left front outside pocket:
Teethers and small toys for DD
Small right front outside pocket:
Keys
Sunglasses
Snack Bar
Gum/Mints
Cell phone
Back Zippered top pocket:
Wet ones Hand Wipes
Purell hand wipes
immunization and Check-up book
1 Huggies disposable changing pad
Front Zippered top pocket:
Coach wristlet (I use as a wallet and holds lipgloss etc.)
Inside left pocket:
4 size 4 pampers cruisers
Inside right pocket:
Wipes
Diaper garbage bags
Purell travel size
Inside main compartment:
At the bottom I use my zippered pouch from a LE large tailored tote with a change of clothes in it. It fits perfectly there and makes the bag seem less deep.
Anna Banana or Max the Monkey or other toy
Outside Cell phone pocket:
DD has her own first years "phone" and we can't be without it lately. I keep it there since my phone is so little it fits in the pocket in the front.
Outside bottle pocket:
I either have an Avent bottle for DD in there (a second would fit in the main compartment) or if I have a bottle, I move her bottle to the main compartment and put my bottle in there.

Since this is long, feel free to PM me any questions! Boy, I hope this helps!
If we are going to be out for the whole day, I might use my LE large tote, but for the most part the Skip Hop is my everyday bag.

twofallbabies
07-20-2004, 10:01 PM
HI there,
If you really like the idea of the Mothership bag, there is a company in Canada, Dinatelli, that is making "knock offs" and selling them at Walmart. There are a few very kind Canadian mommies out there who have bought some to ship to us here in the states, and if you ask, they might be able to help you out. Good luck!

Jessica, MD mama to
Dillon (9/18/98)
& Lucas (10/24/02)

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

mom2bes
07-21-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the info!
After reading your post & the previous post...I am thinking that maybe I could make it work!
Maybe I'll just pick one up at Nordstroms & try it out....at least I can return it if I don't buy on line :-)