PDA

View Full Version : Goldilocks needs help from the experts please.

jennifer13
07-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Ok, for 2 kids- baby and toddler, I can't figure out if the Alpha 7 is too small. And it does NOT have a changing pad, right? AND, I really want exterior pocket for the sippy cup. And I know it's too much to ask for an exterior pocket to hold a sippy with handles, so I won't, but it sure would be nice. BUT, I don't want something huge and bulky either.

I'd say I'm a medium packer. I need ONE bag. I have a big one for overnights, so I need an everyday bag, big enough to go out with snacks, change of clothes, bottles/cups, a few small toys, my wallet, etc., but not so bulky to be a total PITA.

Is the mothership too big? Is the Alpha too small? And what about the un-diaper bag at Babystyle? Or the Oi Oi? Loom? Or something else I don't know about? Cheaper is better, but I'm willing to spend the $150 for the MS if it is SOOOO much better.

Ok, enough questions. I am literally dreaming about this, I just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

Truska
07-21-2004, 07:25 PM
It sounds to me like you pack pretty much how I do...everything you listed that you pack, I pretty much do (or have tried in the Alpha), and to be honest, I don't think it's *quite* big enough for that amount of stuff, especially if you're going to put the sippy cups inside (Playtex ones *will* fit in the side pockets, believe it or not, it's a tight fit, and they are hard to get out, but it does work!).

This is what I pack in my Alpha, for my two girls (ages 2.5 and 15 months)...I tend to pack weird though!
~3 size 3 diapers and an extra diaper/pull-up
~soft, disposable package of wipes
~a full canister of wet-nap type things (I need to just get the pre-packaged one), I use these pretty frequently, so they're handy!
~stain stick (because I'm freaky about stains!)
~a pair of socks for each of the girls
~a bib for Teagan
~snacks
~a cosmetics case with the little stuff (creams, lotion, hairclip...)
~I also have hand sanitizer, etc., in the front pocket and a cell phone

There is room left, but I found with an extra change of clothes (or two), it wasn't closing properly, and just lost a lot of it's shape. There is still the back pocket (where the backpack straps are stored) that has nothing in it. And the side pockets, which I know some people put stuff in there as well (apparently, I've just learned that the wristlet fits in there well!).

Oh, and it does come with a changing cloth...it's not padded, but it serves the purpose!

If I need a change of clothes (honestly, I don't carry these with me all the time) or more space, I take a bigger bag!

Good luck!

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
07-21-2004, 07:58 PM
I have an almost 11 month old and a 2.5 year old, I take 2 sippy cups everywhere with me, and I have or have had the Marsupial, Mothership and Alpha 7. I am finding that I use either the Marsupial or Mothership ( I sold the Alpha). The Marsupial and Alpha hold about the same amount of gear. However, the Marsupial has the best organization and the 2 outside insulated bottle/cup pockets work great for me. When I use the Mothership I use the 2 inside cup holders. The construction/ease of use of the Marsupial is really wonderful. I have been quite happy with it. When I have alot to carry, the Mothership is ideal- you can just fit a ton of stuff in there! Now, I love the look of the Alpha and may get one if the redesign fixes the things I'm just not crazy about (the outside pockets are just not that functional for me). Here is a link to pics I took awhile back with each filled with the same gear.
HTH

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=7396&mesg_id=7396&listing_type=search

MichelleRC
07-21-2004, 08:29 PM
I am in the same position!
I am usually a medium packer too and think the Alpha will most likely be too small for 2 kids. I used the Alpha for a while, but sold it because I am expecting #2 in a few weeks and the bag was pretty much full when I used it for just myself and my toddler. (I have other medium bags I prefer so I couldn;t justify keeping it).
I have now been revisiting the idea of the Mothership once I saw the Houndstooth pattern coming out in September. That would defintely fit all the stuff you need for a baby and toddler.
I had also bought and returned the Loom--too boxy for me I prefer something "cuter".
Haven't heard great things about the Oi Oi or Un Diaper bags but I have no first hand experience with either.
Good Luck!!

marnay
07-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Don't rule out the Kecci bag! It is about the same size at the Alpha but has nice big pockets on the outside for a sippy, the pocket has elastic at the to to help hold the cup in. It does come with a padded changing pad but I don't use it as it is very bulky.

Plus for around $50 it is an awesome value.

jennifer13
07-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks that was all really helpful- and thanks for posting the pics. The marsupial is apparently bigger than the MS- it looks huge on the model on diaperbags.com. I'm going to also look into the Kecci, and maybe even a Timbuk2 messenger bag- it seems like people here are happy with those too.

Thanks again for the help and I will let you know what i decide!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03