PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Ellington Reversible Mom Tote from BabyStyle

robmab719
07-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Some of you may remember that I ordered the Reversible Mom Tote at BabyStyle last week. It's a great price -- $34.99 (comes out to around $40 with shipping), but it's not exactly as they described it.

First, the positives: absolutely love the fabrics! The outside is a kind of medium denim-colored canvas. This would look fabulous with khaki, black, red, brown...basically any color. The inside is a cream and dark red paisley print -- very cute! It has two leather handles and a leather tie closure, and the bag is well-made. The handles are a good length...if the bag is on your shoulder, it hits right beneath my bra line. I was afraid the bag would be too big, but it's a nice size. It is very long/wide, but not very tall, so I don't think you'd have trouble losing things. Another great feature is that the bag is reversible. You can turn it inside out so that paisley is on the outside and it looks great that way, too. Unfortunately, looks aren't everything.

The negatives: there is no way in H*LL that tie closure would ever stay tied. Ever tried to tie a leather bow? It ain't easy. That's just more trouble than I need right now. Also, the BabyStyle site basically lied about the pockets (which I have since pointed out to them). It says "lots of pockets inside and out" --- there is ONE looooong zipper pocket on the inside that extends almost the entire length of the bag. It's probably 5-6" deep, but would not keep a bottle from tipping over unless you stuffed burp cloths all around it. Might work for books or diapers or wipes case, but one inside pocket just doesn't really do it for me. (Maybe I'm just spoiled by Fleurville.) There is also ONE side pocket on the outside. So a total of TWO pockets on the entire bag, neither of which is very functional, IMO. That's why this bag is on its way back to BabyStyle.

I will say that BabyStyle was pretty cool and sent me a pre-paid shipping label for the return. They are not, however, refunding my original shipping cost, so I'll be out the 7 bucks for that. Live and learn.

So another bag bites the dust! lol