PDA

View Full Version : Post your favorite baby gear/gadgets!

jendalymd
07-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Hi. From these boards, I have learned about and bought all sorts of awesome "makes-life-easier" baby gear/gadgets. I want to know if there are any more "can't-leave-the-house-without" or "wish-I-knew-about-it-sooner" type things out there for me to buy.

So far I have:
1. Me Too Hook-on chair $40 - LOVE IT! We take it everywhere.
2. Tiny Diner placemat $10 - okay, use it sometimes
3. Sewcuteboutique shopping cart cover - just ordered it!
4. Bumpkins (sp?) bibs
5. BabyTrilogy Corner crib - Love it! great for small apts. (not really a gadget, but just so unique I had to mention it)

5. Will probably buy a snacktrap later when DS is a little older.

What is your favorite baby gadget?

supercalifragilous
07-22-2004, 04:27 PM
What a great idea for a thread!! This should be interesting! You might also want to post on the Around The House boards!

Anyway, I saw a co-op for the SnackTrap and other little gadgets on the Around The House boards in case you're interested: I think it runs until July 26??

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=19450&mode=full&page=

Dining:
I've looked into hook-on high chairs but I think DD is too heavy & tall now at 26 pounds and 32 inches... I would LOVE the convenience of one though!

We like the Snoozy sleeved bib but I might look into getting the nylon Bummis sleeved bib or Bumkins smock since they can be easily wiped.

The Kipiis bib clips look like a great idea - I've been trying to order but there's some trouble with their website on the ordering page.

For airport ease:
I'd die without our Sutemi gear pack, our Ride-On Carry-on, and our SafeFit carseat carrier with wheels.

Have you seen www.inventiveparent.com? They have lots of cool ideas there.

Emmas Mom
07-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Oh ITA, great topic!

Hey supercal...are you still having trouble with the Kipii's site?? I ordered from them a week or so ago & got mine pretty quickly with no problems. Haven't tried it out yet in a restaurant but am looking for the opportunity to do so! :)

What's the Me Too hook on chair & Baby Trilogy corner crib??

I've found out about here & love:
1. Land End DIA diaper bag (with the long shoulder straps), updated Little Tripper & old version Little Tripper...all in red
2. P3 Stroller (Metallica)
3. Cosco Regal Ride (for our 2nd car)
4. Nuby sippy cups
5. Philips Ultra Compact Baby Monitor
6. Leapstart Learning Table

I'm sure there's more too, I'm always finding great ideas in these forums! :D Gotta try out the snack traps too.

Dscvrlifewith3
07-22-2004, 05:04 PM
I loved the Fisher Price Take Along Swing.
I have had two slings, the Maya Wrap and the Native American Baby Carrier, both were great.
I also have a Wendy Bellissimo Moses Basket that I adored. It was great for traveling when our babies were infants.
Well, I am not sure if this would count, but my Medela Nursing Bras. I didn't discover them until I had my youngest but so glad I did. Great support though pricey!

lmariana
07-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Fun, fun, fun!

1. The Bumbo Babysitter! I take this thing everywhere, and Gabe rarely uses a highchair any more.
2. Skip Hop diaper bag- awesome bag and cool concept
3. Bugaboo Stroller- did really know why it was so cool until these boards. Now it's completely indispensable for me
4. Covers4Kids.com- cart covers (I like the less fluffy alternative to the Floppy seat)
5. Kiwi E3 Stroller- awesome stroller, would have never known it existed without those stroller baords!
6. Hyland's Teething Tablets- never knew these existed!
7. Hanna Andersson- not a gadget, but I would have never discovered her clothes if I wasn't on these boards

I'll probably think of five more things after I post this!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)

pamela mom of 3
07-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Well i would say,

*my shopping cart covers, one is the buggy bagg the other from covers4kids, they certainly are something helpful and i am glad i bought them ;)

*my Kelgar stroller swiveller hooks, really cool stroller gadjet

*my cozy rosie, great keep 'em warm and cozy type thing, can even work in carseats safely

*my i'm still me tote is pretty handy also, the pockets have been great for bringing 3 water cups LOL

*If we're going to talk strollers ;) my mountain buggy's, luv them :D

*Skip-hop bag, great stroller bag..very handy

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

peasprout
07-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Where did you find the me too chair for $40? That's a great deal!

JP

essnce629
07-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Here's just a few things that I can think of right now:

* Zolo cotton sling (use it daily)
* Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece pouch (great when weather's cooler)
* Twingles stroller tray (about to order)
* Babu Go-Anywhere tray (about to order)
* SewCuteBoutique shopping cart cover (just got it and already love it)
* Kolcraft Universal Car Seat Carrier (wonderful invention)
* Bundle Me (I'm about to order the Bundle Me Big)
* Robeez shoes
* Fisher Price Healthy Care booster seat (I keep it in my car at all times-- it's so easy to clean)
* Leap Frog learning table
* Kiddopotamus Ray Shade (love it)
* Fisher Price Stay-In-View infant car seat (great invention)
* Lansinoh nursing pads (loved these- they never leaked once)
* Bumkins bibs (I'm about to order the long-sleeved one)

That's all I can think of for now.

ETA:
* Tot Loks (they're great and our cabinet doors don't budge when my son tries to hang off the door handles with his feet dangling in the air! AND I found them at Big Lots for $.99 each!)
* Medela steam sterilizer bags
* Fiona Lang diaper bag (I love it)
* Dr. Brown's bottles for my ebm when my son was in daycare (my son NEVER had a day of gas and not once did I see a single bubble in the bottle like the hundreds I see in the Avent ones)
* Baby Einstein videos/DVDs (the only way I get a shower in)
* Britax Roundabout (so easy to use)
* My Brest Friend nursing pillow (have used it every single day for the past 11 months and it's still looks brand new)
* Disposable pocket Bibsters (for when we're away from home)

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03

murpheyblue
07-22-2004, 08:48 PM
The two things I probably couldn't live without are my sling and my Learning Links, those plastic links that you can form into a chain. I hook DD's pacifiers and toys to them and them and then clip them to her car seat, stroller, shopping cart cover. Keeps her from dropping everything.

The things I love are (in no particular order):
-my sling and my Moby wrap
-my Zippy and it's one handed fold
-Leap Start Learning Table
-Shopping cart cover
-Signing Times DVDs and CD
-Kettler trike

masetane
07-22-2004, 09:07 PM
What are the Hyland Teething Tablets? Nicholas is teething terribly - I'm at wits end.

My fav things are
-3 Compartment dispenser for formula/snacks
- Toddler Toastie (like a big quilted Bundle Me)
- Tupperware cups/tumblers
-Child size cutlery by WFM (i think taht's the name)
- Gripe water for the first few months (reduces gas/fusiness)
-small roll of bags for my diaper bag
_****folding/portable potty - fantastic for emergencies for my 3 year old. BEst money I ever spent***

Caroline
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

murpheyblue
07-22-2004, 09:11 PM
They're homeopathic teething tablets. You just put them in baby's mouth and they dissolve. We love them too!

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=38156&catid=26946&trx=GFI-0-MWS&trxp1=26946&trxp2=38156&trxp3=1&trxp4=1&btrx=BUY-GFI-0-MWS

megulis
07-22-2004, 09:43 PM
My turn!

Ergo Baby Carrier http://www.ergobabycarrier.com
(How can you not have a carrier with a 25 lbs. 10 months old?)

Sandra Boynton Books http://www.sandraboynton.com / Songs http://www.boyntonfordmusic.com
(Wakes up to Hey Wake Up!, goes to sleep with Pajama Time, Going to Bed Book, and Silly Lullaby song, and in between gets sung Snuggle Puppy)

Signing Time! http://www.signingtime.com
(30 minutes? of peace and quiet. Yesterday night, he wouldn't stop crying. I put on Signing Time!, and he was so calm!)

Swimming Aid Blow Up Arm Floats http://www.leapsandboundscatalog.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=134&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=134&change=118&cm_ven=Google&cm_cat=Top100&cm_pla=Top100&cm_ite=null
(Kind of like that but bought it at Price Chopper for $.97. My ds has eczema. While diapering, he always starts scratching his groin. He can't scratch himself with these around his hands. With these, I don't dred changing him anymore!)

Canon S40 Digital Camera http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons40/
(Love to take pictures!)

BuggyBagg Shopping Cart Cover http://www.buggybagg.com/
(Germs! Yuck!)

Yamaha Keyboard, Changing Table, & Picture Flash Cards
(I set up his changing table over the keyboard. He would look at his picture flash cards over the changing table, and I would occupy him with playing the keyboard. 4 o'clock in the morning, it was one of the only things that he would be okay with while not being held.)

Scholastic Language Launcher http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000859T9/qid=1090542654/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-8162779-5451214?v=glance&s=toys
(This is what he bangs on while I exercise! Keeps him occupied!)

Homemade Taggies! http://www.taggies.com/
(He loved and loves just putting this in his mouth and looking at the different tags. One of the first "toys" he liked.)

Discovery Toys Animal Tower http://www.discoverytoysinc.com/toys1a.htm
(Just right size for him to grab and put in his mouth!)

Multicolored Ball
I bought this at Wordsworth in Boston, MA, but I don't remember the name of it. The Ball is made of a web of circles. Because of these circle holes, my son can grip it very easily.)

I am sure there is more, but that's IT for now!

boys2enough
07-22-2004, 10:11 PM
1. Oh, I just discovered the Nuby Sippy cups at Walmart as well. No valves to wash or to lose. (My Dh always forgets to put the valve in for the Playtex ones). The price is great at $1.50ish.

2. I just got the Snack Trap and really like them. My ds was entertained the whole time at a restaurant with French fries inside the Snack Trap.

3. Have to second the Me Too chair (and the Tiny Diner)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

jendalymd
07-22-2004, 10:15 PM
I believe the Me Too hook on chair has a weight limit of 40 lbs! (probably cause the table would tip over with more weight). It is made of aircraft aluminum so it is superlightweight, only 2 lbs., folds flat, is super easy to clean, and we just keep it in the basket underneath our stroller.
People stop us ALL THE TIME to comment on it, ask about it, etc. Engineers especially are very attracted to it. It is a very ingenious design and simple to use.
The only time we can't use it is when the table is too thick or if it has some kind of weird lip.

It is my DH's favorite baby product and to think he was so anti before when I told him about it. Definitely get it! By the way, I don't work for them, I just really like this product.

www.metooproducts.com

Emmas Mom
07-23-2004, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the link. Hope this doesn't sound too dumb but can you buy them online? I couldn't find a link on the website or how much they retail for. Also, I've seen similar things like this, what makes it better? That it's lightweight & folds compactly? Thanks! :D

anutalp
07-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Mariana,
Which color did you get for you Bumbo? I'm considering one for my DS and was wondering how the colors look like IRL?
Thanks,

lmariana
07-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Ana, I got the Lime green, and it's VERY lime green! We love our Bumbo, and it's been super helpful. Let me know if you want a photo!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)

jendalymd
07-23-2004, 10:20 AM
I was just wondering if you use the ride-on carry on, then does that mean you checked the stroller? Or did you not bring a stroller at all? Wouldn't you want your stroller at your destination?
I guess it would be good if you have a stop on your trip, so you can use it at the airport.

I'm confused. I usually just gate check my stroller.

jendalymd
07-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Yes, I bought mine online. I can't remember who I ordered it from. I just usually search google and look for the cheapest retailer. But, I think I got it for around $40, maybe a little more. This one just seemed to be the most compact, lighweight, and folds flat, and easy to use. If your diaper bag is big enough, you could even fit it in there or just leave it in the stroller (like we do) or in the trunk of your car.

icunurse
07-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Well, DS is not even 6 months old, but these are my favorites so far....

* Ultimate Crib Sheet (he's a big drooler and it's so much easier than changing the whole mattress)

* Dr Browns Bottles (he hasn't had any problems with gas - could be them or could be just luck. Don't want to find out)

* Baby Einstein Activity Gym (DS has loved it from the start, especially the musical/light-up star)

* Freehand Mei Tai (more comfortable than the Bjorn, and easier to use)

* P3 stroller (SO much better than my Graco)

* Triple Paste (only thing that works for DS's butt)

* Knock-Knock Blocks (quickly becoming a favorite of DS)

Traci
~Connor's Mom~

Jeanmick
07-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Here are my faves:

1. Bumpkins bibs
2. Snack trap
3. Plastic chain links (you can hook your Snack trap or other toys to the links when your child in the stroller/cart so it doesn't always fall to the ground)
4. Cart cover (we use the Floppy seat)
5. Disposible sippy/straw cups and spoons
6. My Peg Perego Pliko 2001 stroller (LOVE, LOVE this thing!)
7. Zip lock bags...all different sizes (LOL!)

Can't think of anything else at this point. HTH!

Edited to add: The list above are for things when we we're out and about.

KYBelle1102
07-23-2004, 03:16 PM
The things I couldn't have made it this far without...

1) Ocean Wonders Aquarium bouncer...DS loved the bouncer chair and watching the fish on it. He didn't like the vibration in the seat though.

2) Baby Einstein videos...in combination with the bouncer, I could actually get stuff done. He LOVES these videos (Neptune and Van Gogh are his faves).

3) LE Little Tripper bag...DH loves this bag. We fight about which bag to take. This carries the essentials for the trips to church, errands or dinner.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the must haves for us

jendalymd
07-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Has your baby outgrown the Bumbo? When do they outgrow it?

tina-t
07-23-2004, 06:00 PM
1. Inglesina Zippy
2. LE Little tripper (old style)
3. Loom marsupial
4. Baby Einstein dvds
5. FP Aquarium swing (when he was smaller)
6. Ultimate crib sheet
7. Sandra Boynton books
8. Zolo sling

anutalp
07-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Can you please post the picture of your baby in bumbo? Or you can send me email with a picture.
Thanks a lot,

anutalp
07-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Well, I have a long list, most of the items I bought I love and thanks to that boards I almost didn't buy anything that was useless.

1. Bugaboo stroller - my best life purchase, with Graco car seat and adaptor it is my lifesaver!
2. Kick-n-Play - DS loves it.
3. Graco pack-n-play - I put a Tiny Love mobile on it and my DS is used to lay there after the feedings and look on the mobile.
4. Baby movement and sound monitor - after the Bugaboo, on the second place, can't live without it, take it everywhere (vacations).
5. video monitor - the same as above.
6. Graco swing - DS's first nap (2.5 hours) is always in his swing.
7. Tiny Love Gymini
8. Hanna Andersson cloth - I'm deeply in love, thanks to that boards!
9. Dr. Browns bottles - the best, I tried everything.
10. Medela PIS - my "dear friend"
11. Lansinoh breast milk bags
12. Avent sterilizer - use it every day.
13. Diaper bags - Loom, Kecci, MS, can't wait for my 2 Timbuk2 to arrive.
14. Huggies diapers (hate Pampers)
15. Mustela anything for bath
16. Burt' Bees buttermilk lotion and diaper cream - the best!
17. Fisher Price learning Dome - perfect for beach, backyard
18. Baby Einstein DVDs
19. Robeez
20. Fisher Price backseat car mirrow
Well, that's a long list, I'm sure there are more.

marnay
07-23-2004, 09:52 PM
It's funny, things loved with my first child, I never really used with my second.... different kids, different needs.

The few things that I adored though were well used and loved!

1. Bobux shoes (like Robeez)
2. Hanna Andersson clothes (my younger child is now wearing her sis's hand-me downs
and they are perfect still!)
3. My E3 (I only wish I had bought this with my first child)
4. Floppy Seat
5. Gerber cloth diapers (best burp cloths, and my yougest still sleeps with one at almost
2 yrs old)
6. The Mothership

Naydene

AvasMama
07-23-2004, 10:19 PM
1. Bugaboo stroller w/ Graco carseat adapter
2. Miracle Blanket for swaddling
3. Sling (hotslings.com) -- can't imagine why anyone would want a Bjorn if they've tried a sling!
4. Purely Yours breast pump
5. Lansinoh cream for the first few weeks of bf'ing
6. Hanna Andersson for clothes -- for some reason, Ava has been able to wear these for months longer than other brands and they are SO soft
7. Naartjie clothes -- pretty and unique, great prices!
8. Roundabout car seat
9. Boppy -- not for bf'ing, but for naps early on and sitting support now
10. Wipes warmer -- a must for a winter baby

Robyn & Ava

boys2enough
07-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Engineers especially are very attracted to it. It is a
>very ingenious design and simple to use.
>It is my DH's favorite baby product and to think he was so
>anti before when I told him about it.

Hi, Jennifer, just need to give you a shout out and say, ITA!! :)

I really think it appeals to engineers (including my DH and his friends). And of all the baby "crap" that I bought (my dh's words), this is his favorite. (He was practically shouting NO when I first told him about it). He actually gets disappointed when I forget to bring the chair with us now. He wants to show it off. lol.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

twofallbabies
07-24-2004, 01:04 AM
I thought the Nubys were aweseome too, but after using them for a few weeks, the "spillfroofness" of them seems to just vanish. Maybe it wears out and the material isn't as tight anymore, I don't know, but we switched back to Playtex. Although they're so cheap that I guess I could have just gotten new ones, but the replacements valves cost about the same for two anyway.

Edited to fix a typo.

Jessica, MD mama to
Dillon (9/18/98)
& Lucas (10/24/02)

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

masetane
07-24-2004, 01:07 AM
I just bought one today because of recommendations here. I was also thinking about the Inglesina b.c it had more padding. should I be concerned for comfort at the lack of padding on the arms and back of the Me too? It will be used for restaurants and grandparent trips. The ease of fold is not a priority to me
Caroline
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

DeborahM
07-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Here's the top of my list:

1. Stroller swivel hooks
2. Snacktraps
3. Bibsters with pockets for eating out
4. Baby Einstein videos
5. Baby signing board books
6. Fisher price swing
7. Mesh "net" bags that hook onto strollers
8. Soothie pacifiers w/ the animal attached - "wubbanubs" (actually, this should be #1!!)

Deborah
Mom to Thomas (6/2002) and brand-new baby Rachel (7/16)

jasabo
07-24-2004, 07:20 PM
When the boys were younger:

1. Fisher Price Aquarium Swing - both boys LOVED this - we actually bought a second swing (cheaper one though, not another Aquarim swing)
2. Bouncy seats
3. Gymini
4. those mirrors that you put on the back seat head rest so you can see the baby when they're still rear facing
5. double Snap n Go stroller - made travel SO easy!
6. sleep gowns - I HATE PJ's with snaps - took way too long

Now that they're "older" :) :

1. Alpha 7 diaper bag - love this!
2. disposable bibs
3. Ulitimate crib sheets - these are the best thing ever invented!
4. double shopping cart cover (angelynrose)

Also, our best "cheap" expenditure was the plain old primary color bedding from BRU - bumper and ruffle were like $40 total, so $80 for both boys' bedding. We only used the bumpers for about 6 months, and they use their wubbies for blankets, so I'm really glad we didn't shell out a bunch of money for bedding they wouldn't even have used very long.

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

twofallbabies
07-24-2004, 11:47 PM
My current faves are the Snack Trap, and the Take N Toss sippy cups.

Other current and past include:

~Elizabeth Lee Designs nursing patterns. I sewed a ton of nursing tops for myself when DS was tiny.

~Playtex nursers, for older DS as a baby.

~Lansinoh nursing pads (they're the ones in the purple box @ Walmart, right?)

~Fisher Price Bouncer Seat was great for both my boys. Swings were a waste for both though, they didn't care for them

~Stork Savers cloth dipes are awesome, and made quite a few of my own as well. Now that we're in daycare though, it's Luvs for my lil one.

Jessica, MD mama to
Dillon (9/18/98)
& Lucas (10/24/02)

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

PurpleDog
07-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks to this board, I have the following splendid list:

1. Timbuk2 Messsenger Bag: Went through many diaper bags. This one is indestructable, waterproof, spacious, and easily but not fussily organized.
2. Fisher Price Jumperoo: This was hilarious entertainment for company. George jumped up and down and laughed uproariously with everybody else.
3. Nuby Spoons: I don't know why, but these things rock.
4. Inglesina Zippy: I'm always afraid to gate check this gem of a stroller, but when you've got a baby and a carry on and God only knows what else the Zippy flopping open (and closed) with one hand is a godsend. Wthe trunk of your rental car is loaded with luggage and other crap, the Zippy's compactness can save your bacon.
5. Kolcraft Universal Carseat Carrier: Cheap, awesome for shopping. Can't beat it.
6. Ziplock bags: My life would be empty without.
7. Hotsling: In those early, screaming, colic days nothing but nothing spared our eardrums from the screaming howler monkey like the Hotsling did.
8. Yakima Beetle: For $100 at Overstock.com the most rocking jocking stroller!
9. Lansinoh Nursing Pads: Thin. Comfortable. No leaks. Big Dolly Parton Breasts in a tshirt look okay with these pads.
10. Medela Microwave Sterilizer Bags: I'm a physician and pumped 20 minutes three or four times a day between patients (who are scheduled every 10 minutes which defies the laws of physics). Without these bags I would have lost my mind cleaning all my pumping stuff.
11. Nojo Breastfeeding Pillow: I got the only one at Baby Depot for like $11 and I've never seen another one. It was perfect for my big comfy breastfeeding couch in front of the t.v. I could lean back and relax when I was done and George would snooze on the pillow.
12. Ralph's World DVD/CDs: Silly, infectious, happy, and not too saccharine. M-O-M-M-Y needs C-O-F-F-E-E . . .

That's enough!

Vicki

MichelleRC
07-25-2004, 09:04 PM
I don;t think I have much new to add, but here's my list (in no particular order)

1. Buggy Bag (I am a little germphobic)
2. Dr. Brown's bottles--I threw all the parts in the dishwasher basket, so the extra pieces never bothered me. The only bottle that worked for us.
3. Ultimate crib sheet-easy for middle of the night changes
4. FP bouncy seat and cradle swing
5. Baby Einstein videos
6. Old Navy socks--the only ones that stay on
7. Carters sleepers--I was crushed that they only went up to 9 months
8. PP Atlantico stroller--or as we call it "the Barcalounger on wheels"
9. Pampers Cruisers--we love the elastic and velcro closures
10. Sassy links--good on their own or to attach other toys to the stroller

priscilla73
07-26-2004, 02:13 AM
My favorite things

1) Peg Perego P3 - I bought just about 6 other strollers only to come back to my P3!
2) Shopping cart cover - We use cleanshopper.com - It's a necessity, IMO
3) Restaurant high chair cover - We use the one by Fisher-Price $11.99!
4) Stick on placemats - I make "to go kits" myself with sandwich baggies that include 1 placemat, 1 disposable bib, 1 take n toss spoon
5) Alpha 7 - I love mine so much I bought another color
6) Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium for the crib
7) Britax Marathon car seat
8) Baby Bjorn - I found out about the sling style carriers too late

For Travel

9) Inflatable/Portable Bath tub for travel - I will NOT let my kids sit in a bath in a hotel tub when we travel....YUK!
10) Antibacterial wipes to wipe everything down in the hotel ie remote, doorknobs, everything in the bathroom, everything!

I also ask housekeeping for a couple of sheets to cover the bedspreads with so that we aren't sitting on them. They are so germy and they don't wash them in between guests. Ewe! Yes I am a germophobic...and proud of it! lol

Priscilla

ShayleighCarsensMom
07-26-2004, 12:29 PM
I could have written this post re: the hotel travel!
We just stayed at the Hyatt in Monterey and I kid you not, someone elses clothes were in the dresser, half the towels were not on the rack (like the previous guest used half and housekeepeing just kept it that way) and we lost count on how many curly hairs were in the bathtub (IYKWIM>>>)
Needless to say, my children had diaperwipe baths!
GROSS.......

priscilla73
07-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Valerie OMG! That's sick! I can tell you that I have been there, done that. We take sometimes 3 trips to Disney a year, and I've been unlucky enough to find hairs in bathrooms. That's like a definate sign that they aren't cleaning like they should be. And how do we know that they aren't wiping the sink with the same rag that they just wiped the toilet with??? We don't know! So I just assume that they are. I err on the side of caution and do a good scrub down on everything myself as soon as I walk in the door.

We are planning on taking the kids to Monterey in a few weeks. I don't think I'll book the Hyatt.

I now stick to the Disneyland Resorts when I go to Disneyland. I'd rather pay a little more and not feel like I'm staying in a petre dish.

Priscilla

angelfan25
07-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Our favorites so far are:

1) Bugaboo Frog stroller - LOVE IT worth every penny

2) Skip*Hop diaperbag - perfect since the underbasket of the frog is tiny

3) Aquarium sing - DS loves this so much!

4) taggies small blanket

5) disposable Avent bottles

newmomto1
07-27-2004, 10:51 AM
I am sure I'll have more to add, but here's what comes to mind right now:

-FP Ocean Wonders Aquarium Swing...a LIFE SAVER for us early on!!! We had many nights with DS crying endlessly! This was the only thing that seemed to soothe him & allow us to get some rest! (He still likes it!)

-FP Deluxe Take Along Swing...LOVE this!! Have it in our bedroom. DS STILL loves to sit and/or swing in this. Uses it while I take a shower.

-Baby Einstein DVDs

-Ocean Wonders Aquarium that fits on the crib rail...DS has loved this since the first time we used it with him! It helps him relax & lulls him to sleep!

-Carters Sleepers...made so much nicer than other brands we've tried!

-Pampers Swaddlers & Cruisers....we tried them all, these are our favorite!!

-FP Sounds & Lights Monitor...works great in our house!

-Babytrend Snap & Go...so easy to use & convenient when DS was a newborn!!!!!!!!!!

-Peg Perego P3...LOVE this stroller!!!

-Bibsters

-Especially for Baby brand bottle sterilizer...I am a germ freak & this one is much cheaper than the Avent & works GREAT!!

-JLChildress Maxicool bottle bag...fits in my diaper bag perfect & holds 3 Avent bottles!

-JLchildress StrollerCool...use it on my the side of my P3 to store DS toys...works GREAT!

I know there's more...but need to go to playgroup :-)

Oh my gosh...have to add (even though it's not exactly gear or gadgets):
-Aveeno Baby Bath products & lotions (ESPECIALLY the "Calming Comfort" lavender & vanilla - smells AWESOME!)....Aveeno is the BEST! My DS had a lot of problems with dry skin & rashes, started using these products, & now his skin is perfect!

-Also, not really a baby product, BUT...we purchased an inexpensive CD player for DS nursery. We play classical CDs in there every night at bedtime. Very soothing!!

-Again, not TRULY a baby product..purchased "Util-a-Mat" at Sams Club...bright colored, interlocking, soft rubbery square pads. They are perfect for DS to play on & they protect the carpet!!

Ooh, sorry so long...I got carried away :P

MichelleRC
07-27-2004, 06:43 PM
after discovering today that it removes crayon from ceramic tile. I have a feeling I will be buying these in bulk for the next few years!

sophiesmom
07-27-2004, 11:37 PM
LOve the idea for the 'to go kit'!!

Things I've loved thru 2 kids...

1. Britax Marathon!
2. Table Toppers
3. My Graco double stroller
4. Land's End Squall coats for winter
5. Antibacterial wipes/ also keep bath and body kids hand wipes in car, my 3 year old loves them!
6. shopping cart cover from BRU, DS falls asleep in it! looks pretty comfy too!
7. Gerber sippy cups (except didn't like new version of training cups w/ handles, they changed the spout to soft stuff, the valve would always fall out and then cup leaked)
8. I also bring a blanket to hotels, to lay over bedspread... did you ever see those reports on hotel rooms?!
9. Pamper's Cruisers for my little boy who would leak thru any other diaper... and Huggies Overnights for him at night.
10. Sheet savers when babies
11. Graco Kite Literider, light, yet still has parent tray/shade/ and huge basket, plus snack tray
12. Baby Bargains book of course ;-)
13. Kolcraft car seat carrier stroller. bought when i had baby #2 actually and still used it a lot.

that's all i can think of for now,, getting tired!

supercalifragilous
07-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Sorry I totally forgot to reply! I didn't mean to ignore you!

I don't check a stroller at all b/c we only fly to grandma's house. If we fly anywhere else we'll probably just pick up a cheapo umbrella stroller there.

Before we got the Ride-On Carry-On, we were carrying her around in a Sutemi Pack. If you can envison this - I had her in the Sutemi in front, my PPB backpack on the back, and wheeling a suitcase. DH has the OSA backpack (for meds & emergency changes) and is either wheeling or backpack-wearing the Marathon carseat with the Safefit carrier. If we have another suitcase, he's got that too!

.....I think we overpack, considering DH & I have 2 changes of clothes at Grandma's and she DOES have a washing machine..... :P But in our defense, we do go for 2 weeks at a time...

We got a "scratch & dent" Ride-On Carry-On for $25 on their website and as far as I can tell the frame has a small scuff mark but the rest is absolutely perfect! It's great for people who don't need or use a stroller.

mamarazzo
07-28-2004, 07:34 PM
* False Bottoms - snap-on cloth strips for extending the life of bodysuit shirts, from One Step Ahead. Fantastic! Babycenter carries a similar product by iPlay, but user reviews seem to indicate they don't fit as many brands.

* Nurse EZ Twin nursing pillow - I don't have twins, but this has been a wonderful nursing pillow. Probably the single most-used baby item I own. I started with a Boppy, but it didn't fit very well.

* Sony babyCall monitor - I love the multitude of channels to choose from, for better chance of avoiding interference. We've had no problems.

* Bumkins Junior Bibs (the big ones with arm holes) - I used the smaller Super Bibs for some time and loved them, but they weren't up to the task of toddler meals. Fortunately I came across the Junior Bibs with their increased coverage over the lap, which made a world of difference. And he's not able to tear these off, like the others.

* Fisher-Price Nesting Action Vehicles - a favorite toy for months, and still going. For ages 6 months and up, they're a set of 4 cars that nest and stack, and each has a different little fun thing about it. So many ways to play with them, and my guy does every day.

* Lamaze baby mirror - I thought $20 was too much when I bought it, but it's still a favorite a year later, so I'd say I got my money's worth.

* second-hand Cosco stationary bouncer - a discontinued model jumper that sits in a frame on the floor. Fisher-Price recently came out with something similar, but at the time there were none others around. My little jumping bean absolutely adored it, and it could be placed anywhere.

* Gladware mini round plastic containers (4 oz), perfect for freezing homemade baby food, and much cheaper than Rubbermaid and similar containers. Using ice cube trays is fine, but individual containers had many advantages.

MR