PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Now Post things that were a waste of money!!!!

jendalymd
07-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Wish I didn't buy:
1. Arm's Reach mini cosleeper - DS just sleeps in our bed
2. Baby clothes - expensive ones, especially, although all were gifts
3. Tot locks- my DH can't figure out how to use them on our cabinets
4. Zooper Buddy stroller- still like it, but it's soo heavy and folds very bulkily, probably should have gotten an MBUS instead.

Dscvrlifewith3
07-23-2004, 10:58 AM
I wish I hadn't have bought a Diaper Genie.
With my first child, a regular swing and a crib. We never used either.
A playpen. I took it back to BRU and got a full refund.
Baby Monitor. I also took this back to BRU.

lmariana
07-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Hmmm...

1. Peg Perego Aria Stroller- hated the steering and the recline, felt so flimsy
2. Dr. Brown's Bottle- I like them, but the three-piece system is a pain in the butt to clean
3. Pampers Diapers- they never worked for us, always had issues with leaks, and I swear they smell funny
4. Generic Baby Wipes- I like how the feel, but I have to use a ton to get the job done...not worth the savings
5. Avent Sterilizer- I'd rather just boil water in a pot and save the cabinet space
5. Burp Cloths- I was dumb and actually bought fancy burp cloths! A few packs of Gerber cloth diapers works so much better and is so much cheaper.
6. Gowns- Gabe hated having his legs and feet exposed, and I just couldn't bring myself to out him in a "dress"

ETA: 7. Baby Bjorn- never fit me right, always made my back hurt, even when he was very little.
8. Water Saftey Toy- those things that tell you if the bath water is too hot or not...they don't work. My hand does just as well.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)

icunurse
07-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Well, so far....

*Baby Monitor (haven't used it much, usually only when we are outside)

* Baby Bjorn (can't say enough how much I don't like it...uncomfortable, tight, ugh.)

* Graco Quatro stroller (it's nice for a while, then the weight and size kick in - but we basically received it free for buying the Snugride)

* Bought way too many crib sheets and mattress pads (we use the Ultimate Crib Sheet, so now we don't need as many)

* Desitin (doesn't work for DS, still have a brand new one)

Traci
~Connor's Mom~

urbanmama
07-23-2004, 12:22 PM
Hmmm... I'm sure I'll think of more, but here are a few:

1. Century travel system with my first child-- I hated the stroller; such a waste of money
2. Combi Travel Savvy-- so flimsy!
3. Graco Pack 'n Play-- hardly ever used it with either of my children
4. Inexpensive baby clothes-- I never liked how they looked or how the fabric felt. I refused to hand any of them down to DD#2. Now I just buy the better brands (Gymboree, Baby Gap, Hanna, Janie & Jack, etc.) on sale.

Marie

robmab719
07-23-2004, 01:08 PM
My list:

Cradle swing - DD hated the side-to-side motion, so ended up using only the regular back & forth. I would NEVER buy another swing that you can't get baby into from the top!

Crib sheets - we also use the Ultimate Crib Sheet, so I've never needed more than two crib sheets (of the probably 10 that I have)

Baby nail clippers - DD won't sit still for me to clip her nails. The one time I actually tried it while she was squirming I cut her pinky finger and felt like the worst mom on the face of the Earth. Never tried it again. Just use a file now.

Gowns - I hate these. Give me a footed sleeper anyday.

Fancy clothes in 0-3 months - we hardly left the house when DD was small enough to wear this stuff (which wasn't long). Wish I'd just gone with 3-6 and had it be a bit big those first few weeks.

Newborn diapers - I had to give these away. DD was too big for them from the day she was born.

Baby bathrobe - I can't figure out when you're supposed to use this? You get the baby undressed, put her in the tub, take her out, wrap her in a towel, then get her dressed. This must just be something for photo ops?

Chelsey333
07-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Tell me more about the Ultimate Crib Sheet. My ds spits up a lot and I find changing the sheet to be a real pain.

Chelsey333
07-23-2004, 02:28 PM
That is funny about the bathrobe. I have 2, that I reveived for gifts, and I also don't know when is a good time to use them! THey are cute though, but I don't want more laundry to do, for baby to wear for 3 minutes.

jk3
07-23-2004, 02:37 PM
1. Peg Perego Venezia- We used this for 4 months. It was my dream stroller which turned into a nightmare. Too big + bulky + difficult to steer.

2. Swing- DS hated this.

3. Bedding Set- The bumpers did not fit the crib properly and the beautiful quilt is in DS's closet. I love the bedskirt!

4. Plaid Gap Jacket - I loved this jacket but it's an over the head kind + DS screamed every time I put it on.

5. Bottles other than Avent. We tried a few less expensive brands but Avent worked best for us.

Jenn
DS 6/03

KYBelle1102
07-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi...Occasional poster throwing in her 2 cents worth. Some of these are duplicates.

1) Quattro Tour stroller. Like the big basket, but it's a bear to haul in and out of the trunk of my Maxima.

2) So many 3-6 month clothes. I probably never needed to do laundry since DS easily had a different outfit for every day in that size. (We had 5 Christmas outfits if that tells you anything!)

3) Swing...he liked it okay, but in our small house, there just wasn't a convenient place for it.

4) Side snap tshirts. I must have envisioned it being warmer in my house and DS wearing t-shirts and diapers every day. THese were a pain in the butt riding up all the time. Mostly he wore sleepers all day (DH was home with him so the men of the house lounged in their pajamas all day!)

5) Baby Bjorn. Think I used it twice. Just never thought about putting DS in it. He was usually more content in the stroller/car seat (if we were out) or in his bouncer chair.

Emmas Mom
07-23-2004, 02:45 PM
I can only think of two things right now:

1. Dr. Brown's bottles...WAY too much work. Returned them for the Playtex nursers & LOVE those.

2. Steam sterilizer...I don't know why I ever thought I needed this. Boiling them in water works just as well. Live & learn! ;)

Rikkele
07-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Things I wish we didn't but:
1. Pack and Play - just taking up space in family room. I keep it set up there so I can feel like I am using it. Plus, the friends who gave it to us come over frequently so I want them to think we are using it!
2. Baby socks - They stay on for about 5 seconds and when they get kicked off my dogs grab them
3. Very expensive designer crib bedding - I am embarrassed how much I paid for this
4. Nine West messenger diaper bag - Hate it, too heavy. Am using the freebie hospital bag (until the 4 new diaper bags I ordered come in)LOL! Hopefully they will not make the list too!

lmariana
07-24-2004, 12:28 AM
I love the Playtex Nursers too! Best bottles I own, hand down.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

lmariana
07-24-2004, 12:30 AM
The only socks that we've had success with are the ones from The Children's Place and Hanna Andresson. Hope this helps!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

Jeanmick
07-24-2004, 12:30 AM
1. A diaper wipes warmer!!!! Never needed it where I live.

2. Baby shoes from 0-6 months. Never used any of them. Had my little ones in socks.

3. Those little hand cover-ups that you used for your newborn. They always slipped off. A friend of mine told me to use socks and they did work much better.

4. One-piece gowns...my kids legs always ended up sticking out of the hole.

DeborahM
07-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Luckily, a couple of these were gifts....

1. baby bathrobe - cute, but why bother?
2. wrap-around wipes warmer
3. Avent bottle warmer (would've been more useful if I bought when DS was younger, not when he was close to giving up bottles....)
4. cheap diapers

Deborah
Mom to Thomas (6/2002) and brand-new baby Rachel (7/16)

emmiem
07-24-2004, 09:47 PM
1.Baby Bjorn Carrier-hurt my back, never comfortable in it.

2. Bottle Warmer-Pain to clean.

3. Diaper Genie-smelly, smelly, smelly.

4. Coach Diaper Bags-Too heavy, too big for everyday use.

5. Ultimate Crib Sheet-Why buy pretty sheets if you are going to put this ugly thing on top. Bought extra sheets and waterproof mattress pads instead.

6. Stuffed Animals-How many do you really need?
Michele

twofallbabies
07-24-2004, 11:28 PM
~Diaper Genie

~Changing table

~Bottle other than Playtex nursers (for older DS)

~Any bottles period for younger DS, he's 21 mos today and still nursing. Never used a bottle in his life...though some days I'd surely wished he would!

~Expensive toys (Much as I ADORE Discovery Toys, and sweet little boutique toy shops, they're such a waste. My boys own 3/4 of TRU and still delight in the foam peanuts my candles arrive in.

~Any kind of shoes for kids under a year old.

~Cheapie carriers. Baby Trekker, and homemade sling (from ELD pattern) were all I ever needed.

~Expensive nursing clothes. I actually made it all from ELD patterns.

~My younger DS's crib was a waste for the first 19 months of his life, as he slept in it maybe a dozen times until May of this year.

Jessica, MD mama to
Dillon (9/18/98)
& Lucas (10/24/02)

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

essnce629
07-25-2004, 04:07 AM
I have to admit I haven't really bought anything that was a waste of money because I always researched everything here first before buying.

The only thing I can think of is:

* Boppy pillow (I used the My Brest Friend nursing pillow from day one, but bought a Boppy at a consignment shop to use to prop up my son but he would still fall over it backwards so I sold it)

ETA-- Here's some things I received as gifts and hand-me-downs and never used:

* Infant shoes (he's worn only socks up until now and just started wearing his Robeez when we go out)
* Infant bath robes
* Stuffed animals (they just collect dust)
* Newborn hand covers (they just fell off)
* Generic diapers (gave them to the daycare so I wouldn't have to deal with them :))

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel

mommy_1boy1girl
07-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Pacifiers--My little one ended up being a thumb sucker and I had a dozen cute paci's laying around

Dr. Brown's bottles--The number of pieces is just not worth it. It makes cleaning very difficult. I ended up using Playtex nursers and would NEVER go back to anything else.

Avent Sippy Cups--For the same reason, way too many pieces when cleaning. I prefer the simple no spill cups.

Fisher Price Step and Play Piano--I just HAD to have this. . .my daughter used it some however, she would have been just as happy with a cheaper version. She liked her Graco doorway jumper tons better.

MariFP
07-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Pack and Play - DD hated to be in it.
Baby gowns
Bathrobe - what a waste!! Got as a gift.
0-3mo baby shoes
Nursing tops - I just lift my shirt!
3-6 mo clothes - I have to say I had so many that most of it I used only once or never used
Receiving blankets - I think we used only 1 or 2.
Baby sling/Snugli - never felt comfortable wearing the baby.

ms tinkerbell
07-25-2004, 04:07 PM
- The swing

- Any bottles, DD nursed and then wen't straight to a straw sipper cup. We had Avent and Dr. Browns as gifts and bought, and they just sat in the cabinet taking up precious space.

- Those side snap tshirts. Never once did my Daughter wear those.

Tink
http://www.mstinkerbell.com/icons/CIMG1394.jpg

bobica
07-25-2004, 06:19 PM
*Baby Gyms- dd had no use for these!
*a 2nd pack & play (dh uses one at work with her so we have one at home- what were we thinking???)
*most of our 6-12 month clothes- i think she was this size for a week!
*6-9 month clothes- what was there a 2 pound range on these?
*i really do love our zooper walk air but it's so heavy that without swiveling wheels, it can be a beast!

Monica
Mom to Siobhan- 3/03

MichelleRC
07-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Old Navy socks (the ones that are 7 pair for $10) are the only ones that stay on DS's feet). Love them!!

jamierush
07-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Diaper genie -

Baby Monitor - we tried 3 different brands and were still hearing the neighbors.

Swing - she hated it, but my girlfriend who is using it now loves it!

Avent bottles - these all were regifted :) she spit up 2x as much with these.

angelfan25
07-26-2004, 07:51 PM
1) Coach diaper bag - too heavy and straps too short

2) Diaper champ - it was stinky, returned it and got the Diaper Dekor and we love it!

3) bassinet - ds never wanted to sleep in it

4) Peg Perego venezia stroller - very nice but way to heavy I should have done more research.

bubbaray
07-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Where to start!??!

Wish I didn't buy or gifts I didn't use:

Baby Bjorn -- DD HATES it and DH swears it hurts his back.
Bottles -- I have a LARGE collection of Avent, Dr. Browns, Playtex, Gerber, you name the bottle I have it. DD will NOT take a bottle to save my life! Ditto for pacifiers.
Onesies -- DD seems to prefer t-shirts (front snap kind) and to not have clothing over top of her diaper (maybe its too hot??)
Gowns -- DD hates them
0-3month clothing -- DD was 9lbs3oz and pretty much started out in 3m size, so all the smaller stuff got packed up without ever being worn.
Crib bumper -- was only on the crib before the baby was born, haven't used since she came home from the hospital (scared of the SIDS thing)
Tie bibs -- I only use velcro as I'm afraid she might strangle
Avent microwave sterilizer -- took it back to BRU for a full refund (after I figured out DD was unlikely to take a bottle)
LE DIA diaper bag -- returned to LE for the Deluxe backpack. Who would design a diaper bag w/o shoulder straps?!?!

Melissa
Maya -- April 11, 2004

MamaKath
07-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Where to start...
* the SWING- what a waste of money time and space. The kids hated it!!!

* pacifiers and bottles- Who knew they wouldn't need pacies and that the bottles were going to be useless?!?! DD never would take a bottle, and we wasted so much time and money shopping for the perfect one since everyone we talked to and everything we read (with the exception of Dr. Sears) seemed to indicate that we were doing something wrong or just hadn't found the right nipple. With DS, one or two bottles would have been fine for the very ocassional times it was actually used.

* the Baby Bjorn- This was a top recommendation in my BBB and I never understood why. Talk about uncomfortable!

*crib- used a plain old bassinet in the beginning with #1, and by the time we moved her to the crib we all prefered cosleeping and getting some rest. At about 10 months she figured out how to open it from the inside to climb out safely, lol! And when we set it up for number 2, she wanted to know why we planned to put the baby into that "horrible cage".

*bunch of strollers ;-)- I waited on the Kiwi when we had number 2 since it was too expensive. Had I only known the money it might have saved, lol.

*lots of various diaper bags- I love the Ameribags, especially the tote (not a diaper bag truly). Wonderful!

*gobs of sippy cups- Yes they do have their purpose, however my kids really are only offered water most of the time. We use the cups with lids they get from eating places like Ledo's and just pop in a fresh straw. One or two of one brand would have been fine, but my overflowing cabinet of them is driving me nuts.

Uhoh, sibling issues, I'll finish later.

c2lane
07-28-2004, 03:41 PM
**Baby bathrobe - I can't figure out when you're supposed to
use this? You get the baby undressed, put her in the tub, take
her out, wrap her in a towel, then get her dressed. This must
just be something for photo ops?**

I received one as a gift and returned it because I didn't think it was something I would ever use. However, the other day at DD's little swim lessons, one of the mother's wrapped her baby up in a robe when he got out of the pool. Kind of made me wish I still had mine. LOL.