PDA

View Full Version : Fleurville or PPB??

newmominaugust
07-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi all, I am due with my first baby in about 4 wks. I am going to buy a boring Eddie Bauer backpack since I live in VT and it seems practical to me (and is cheap). But being originally from NYC, I also need something fashionable that is just for me. :) I have been going back and forth between the PPB bags and the Fleurville bags. I LOVE the brocade and just bought a sling that is a beautiful brocade fabric. Plus I love that the PPB can be used as a backpack as well. But the Fleurvilles seem more practical since they have the vinyl around the fabrics.

Any thoughts on which I should get? I wish I could have both. I bet eventually I will end up with both. Also, does anyone have a great site to buy the Fleurvilles that have all of the colors?

Thx

Zynnia
EDD #1 8/21/04
http://lilypie.com/days/040821/0/8/0/-5 (http://lilypie.com)

heidi_timms
07-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Both are nice, but they are coming out with new fall styles/fabrics that you might want to wait for. Fleurville is coming out with new fabrics and you can see the PPB ones at:

www.petuniapicklebottom.com/new

Fleurville has released some of their new fabrics on www.kidsnstyle.com . I'm not sure if there are more fabrics, but so far they have the new Lime Bingo and the houndstooth Motherships. I'm not sure about the fabrics for the Alpha 7.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

newmominaugust
07-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Hmm, maybe I'll hold out for a PPB. The Dynamite Roll is absolutely beautiful and would go nicely with my sling. I wonder when exactly the new line is coming out. I sent an email to PPB hopefully they will reply soon.

Maybe for now I will get a Fleurville Mothership. I like the blue chocolate.

Thx

Zynnia
EDD #1 8/21/04
Anthony Joseph or Sofia Rose

http://lilypie.com/days/040821/0/8/0/-5 (http://lilypie.com)

ShaniB123
07-23-2004, 01:09 PM
I am in the process of making a similar decision right now. Speaking from a fashion point of view only, I like the PPB much better than the Fleurville, but I haven't used either bag yet, so I cannot speak from experience. FYI, the Fleurville Alpha 7 can also be carried as a backpack. I'm also looking at the Loom Bandicoot, which can be carried as a backpack.

robmab719
07-23-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm a bad influence because I would say you need both. :) The Fleurville is great for everyday outings, and the vinyl means you don't have to worry about getting it dirty or snagged. The PPB would be better for going out to dinner or "nicer" occasion because it's kind of a "dressy" bag. There is nothing "dressy" about the Fleurville, but you can't beat the durability and ease of it.

The best online retailer of Fleurville is Kids N Style (www.kidsnstyle.com). They ship fast and free, and are great to deal with. If she doesn't have the color you want listed on her website, send her an email and I bet she'll do her best to get it for you.

For PPB, I would buy at a boutique if you have one in your area. The online retailers that carry them have gotten some mixed reviews. Also, I think it's good to see those bags in person because the photos don't always show the fabric as it truly appears in real life. Also, if you haven't seen one in real life, you don't realize how big the bag really is.

Hope that helps!

jennifer13
07-23-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi,
I never post on this board, but I am replying to you because I am in the search for a new diaper bag and wanted to share the important lesson I've learned: It is extremly hard to know which bag will work best for you until baby is here and you've had several outings. So, you might start with something cheap and practical until you really get a handle on your needs and preferences. You may want something smaller or bigger, wider or narrower, you may hate backpack style, you may love it. It can be the tiniest things- like for me I have discovered that I want a bottle/cup pocket on the outside of the bag. Sounds dumb but it would make life a lot easier. So, my advice is to save your cash for the special bag until you've lived life with your baby for a while.

Good luck and wishing you a safe and healthy birth.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

masetane
07-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Good advice - my mind has changed drastically now that I am actually living the life of a mom!! I went with a Fleurville backpack and not a PPB b/c coating on the blue choc is easy to clean and the PPB fabrics can get snagged and floppy when dry cleaned. Good luck with your decision!
Caroline
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

jk3
07-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Since you are in VT, you might want to consider a Fleurville. I have a PP Boxy Backpack which I love but I do get nervous that it will get ruined so I don't use it in the rain. I also have the Fleurville Mothership and this bag is great because I never have to worry about it getting dirty or wet. The new Fleurville colors look fabulous. You will love either bag!

Jenn
DS 6/03

emmiem
07-23-2004, 02:14 PM
I have alternated carrying two different PPB toddler totes and both still look brand new. They are not snagged or pilled. They are getting a little floppy. One more than the other probably because we spilled milk on it. That was the only time I ever had anything spill on it. I do throw it in the car and its on the floor at restaurants. I do have to iron the straps occasionally because since they are fabric they do get scrunched up from my arm. I do not like the vinyl feel next to me so I did not go with the Fleurville.
Michele

Buzymommy5
07-23-2004, 02:39 PM
michelle...were you able to get the milk stain off and if so, what did you use?

now, back to your question...i have a ppb and i must admit that i do get nervous when i use it...didn't realize i'd have this problem till i took it out for first time. unbeknowingst to me, it started to rain and i think i was more worried about getting my bag undercover than myself:/ needless to say, i would never take this bag out in bad weather, although rare in hawaii, but i admit that i do not use this as an everyday bag just because it's so delicate. i don't have a fleurville, only because mothership too big, and waiting for a color i like in alpha , but i do like all their vinyl fabrics. these are everyday bags and the durability and easy wipe off can't be beat... chris

jendalymd
07-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I have both a PPB in Sunset Dragon Roll (best baby gift ever!) and I have a Mothership in White Cord on its way. The PPB is my everyday bag and I do love it. I got stuck in pouring rain the other day and thought my bag would be ruined. The top flap was soaked thru but it dried out and looks like it never happened. I have gotten the fabric snagged while wearing a ring once or twice, but you can't even tell. Seriously, my bag still looks pretty darn good. I get tons of compliments all the time. I can fit a lot into this bag too, although it does have the black hole effect. And I like the zipper, so I don't have to worry about stuff falling out. The new ones sound even better with the much-needed bigger (and removable) changing pad!

I ordered the MS for long outings, weekend trips, and for bad weather and because everyone here seems to love them. Plus, I was just drawn to the idea of having a white bag that stays white.

On a last note, I'm spoiled and when I want something I have to have it. I just don't have the self-control to deprive myself of anything I deem cute or worthy.

cheers

supercalifragilous
07-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Does your soaked-through top flap still have the same structure it had before (it was just stiff enough to be easy to use)??

Now I'm wondering if it was the dry cleaning chemicals that destroyed the stabilizer and made my bag so floppy...

bluhimmy
07-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Oh wow, we have the same due date; and it's my first baby too! :)

My best friend just purchased a PPB and it's beautiful! I ordered a Fleurville mothership because I thought it was more practical for me. Hopefully, that will tie me over for a while.

I'm hoping there will be PPB co-op before my desire to buy takes over.

ShaniB123
07-23-2004, 06:54 PM
I know some people on this board have said they don't like the changing pad on the PPB because it's attached, because it's small, etc. My question is, for those of you who have PPBs, do you use the attached changing pad, or do you carry a separate changing pad in the bag so that you don't have to use the one that's attached.

Thanks!

First due in CA in October

heidi_timms
07-23-2004, 07:08 PM
I think that the new style of the PPB boxy backpack are supposed to have a detachable changing pad vs. the old style.
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

ShaniB123
07-23-2004, 07:14 PM
I think I've heard that, too, but assuming the fabric is still dry-clean only, does it make a sense to have a dry-clean only changing pad, even if it is detachable?

First due in CA in October

Buzymommy5
07-23-2004, 07:49 PM
that's what i say...i wouldn't use the changing pad, detachable or not because of this very reason :) i just use disposable changing pads with all my bags and i use the changing pad section on ppb as an extra pocket to hold diaper wipes. chris

jendalymd
07-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Yeah, it's fine. As good as new. I don't think the top flap is any floppier than it was before. I've never dry cleaned it. Actually, besides that downpour, I've never cleaned it and I've used it for 6 months now.

newmominaugust
07-23-2004, 08:44 PM
I just went to the only store in town who sells PPBs. They only had a couple of the toddler ones. So cute. I would use those normally. Anyway, I saw a flyer that she had that showed some of the new bags. One is going to be a completely different design. It looks like it won't be a backpack but I'm not sure. The fabric is amazing though. I think I'll wait until the new ones come out. They seem better anyway. The sales woman said they should be expecting them maybe end of August which is when I'm due. So by then hopefully I will know what I need. I'm spoiled too and love pretty things. LOL. The new model will be more expensive.

What exactly is a co-op and how do I get in on that?

Thanks to all of your replies. I'm going to check out a couple of stores that carry the Fleurvilles. Oh and this one store was selling the PPBs for $142. All of the ones I saw on line were $150. Not bad. :)

emmiem
07-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Chris,
I just used soap and water on a plain white diaper rag and it came out beautifully. By the way, it was chocolate milk! Dried with no spotting and no smell.
Michele