PDA

View Full Version : Is the Skip Hop my bag?

nitaghei
08-03-2004, 05:18 PM
So far I've been managing between the LE Messenger and a freebie tote I got, but I really want something that actually works right. Here's what I'm looking for:

These are the essential features:

1) Has the ability to be worn messenger style;

2) Outside pocket for water cup;

3) Light interior;

4) Medium size.

(I don't know how people talk about downsizing with a toddler. I have to carry WAY more junk now than when DS was a new-born. The LE Little Tripper isn't cutting it.)

It would be really nice if it was under $50. I don't need lots of little pockets. I really don't like the East Asian look at all, so the Keccis are out. So far, the Skip Hop seems like the best candidate - but I can't find any pictures of the interior. So if anyone can tell me what the interior of a Storm Skip Hop looks like, I would be truly grateful!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Momof3Labs
08-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Nita, the Skip Hop is a VERY skinny bag so doesn't hold much width-wise, and you have to dig past things on the top to get to the bottom. And it doesn't stand on its own. If that doesn't matter to you, then this might be your bag!

I really, really like the small Timbuk2 messenger, personally, but it has no outside pocket for a water cup.

nitaghei
08-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Lori,
Thanks! I tried the T2 IRL. Apart from the lack of the outside pocket, the strap is just too wide to be comfortable for me (I have really narrow shoulders). I bought an Eagle Creek bag from Sierra Trading Post that was pretty close to being perfect, but it turned out to be defective, and I couldn't get a replacement. I sort of worry about the SH being skinny. Need to make a run to the Nordstrom's near work to see if they have any that I can see IRL. Of course, with my luck, I'll find the diaper bag of my dreams when I no longer need one.

Nita

caleymama
08-03-2004, 09:55 PM
I can't offer any suggestions but I wanted to mention that I just bought and returned a Skip Hop. It was a nice bag for hanging on the stroller, but I realized that I carry the bag MUCH more often than I attach it to the stroller and I just didn't care for it as an every day bag to carry around. It was too bulky and stiff for me - I guess I am used to softer tote bags. I also carry more now than I did when DD was younger and while the organization of the bag was good, it was not what I wanted for all the time. HTH some. Good luck finding something that you like.

ETA:
I've seen this bag mentioned and liked on here - maybe this would be suitable? I believe it meets all of your criteria. I know if you do a search for it, there are lots of pictures of the interior and exterior:
http://www.ebags.com/ameribag/tote_messenger_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=13589

This one is cute also, and pretty inexpensive:
http://www.ebags.com/jansport/sonic_street/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=19649

nitaghei
08-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Liz,

THANK YOU!! Both of those look really promising. I really like the look of the second one. And the price is certainly right!

The Skip Hop seems less and less like the bag I need. I may still check it out, if Nordstrom's has it - but the two you found certainly seem like they would be much closer to what I need.

Nita

amp
08-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Nita - I have the navy skip hop and the interior is dark. I don't know if they are all dark on the inside, or if it changes if you have a light colored bag. I love mine, but it does have the black hole effect. It is true that if you have a ton of stuff to transport, and it won't fit in the LT, you might not fit it all into the skip hop either. My bag, if packed right, will stand on it's own though. I don't really love the narrow packing, but I love that it hooks onto the stroller or the shopping cart and doesn't have to take up space in my stroller basket or cart!

nitaghei
08-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks! The Skip Hop is out! :( The black hole effect is exactly why the LE Messenger, and Little Tripper I have right now aren't working for me. I don't care too much about the ability to attach to the stroller

I just looked on the LE site, and it seems like the new style LE is a couple of inches bigger than the old style, which is what I have. The old style LE is just a tiny bit too small. I can cram everything in, but that's the problem - it'a all crammed in. And of course, the old style doesn't have the exterior water cup pocket either. So I may just end up with another LE bag. :) It's a good thing they're so inexpensive.

Nita

dowlinal
08-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Nita,
I have both the newer LE and the skip hop in storm and I can fit a lot more in the skip hop. The interior in the storm is half gray so the black hole effect isn't that bad. I found that the front pocket on the little tripper just didn'thold my stuff the way that the pockets on the skip hop do. If you're still interested I can take a picture of the interior for you to see. I liked the lands end bag but I really love the skip hop.