PDA

View Full Version : Dipe bag size rating - Mariana? Maureen? Anybody?

supercalifragilous
08-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Mariana, I thought I'd ask you in particular since you are the reigning Queen of Diaper Bags and seem to have the most experience with diaper bags...

In your opinion, how would you rate your bags in terms of size? In particular, I'm interested in messenger bags & backpacks (Alpha 7, Kecci, Skip Hop, PPB, T&L). I don't have much luck with tote styles since they slip off my shoulder (the straps are never long enough and I don't like having an "open" bag.)

Thanks in advance!

lmariana
08-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Hi!

As far as those bags you mentioned, I have all except the Petunia Picklebottom, so I can't comment on that one, but I hear it's BIG.

I think the Kecci and Timi and Leslie have about the same capacity. I think the Kecci has a little more depth to it than the T&L.
Next, I would place the Skip Hop. Although it's harder to pack than the Alpha 7, I can fit more in the Skip Hop. I also love the two large zipper pockets up top...they are perfect for mommy things!
The Alpha 7 is a great size, is well organized, and is the smallest in this group...in my opinion! But it's by no means a "small" bag.

Hope this helps!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)

khakismom
08-04-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty much agreeing with Mariana, mainly because I know she knows her stuff and also because of all that you listed, I only have the Kecci (I think I may be the only one on this board that doesn't have a Skip Hop. :))

There's also the Kalencom new messenger bag (I have the pink stripe one). This one is quite large, and definitely fits more than the Mothership.

Here was my review with pics:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=8640&mesg_id=8640&listing_type=search

supercalifragilous
08-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Yes! That helps a lot! :) I really want to see the Alpha 7 IRL (though maybe it's a good thing I don't) but I'm convinced now that it's too small for me.

Everybody raves about the Alpha 7's organization but I'm not quite sure how much "better organized" it is over, say, the Kecci. Like I said, I'd probably have to see it IRL but so far I think it's too small. I'm still curious, though! :P On the website it looks like the external pockets are organized nicely (like the cell phone pocket) and velcroed shut for security but it doesn't have any shots of the inside.

I might be more tempted to get the Alpha 7 despite its smaller size if it were vinyl-coated like the MS - maybe I should write to them and suggest that!

I totally agree about the Skip Hop - I love the two shallow "mommy pockets"!! At least I won't have to go digging for my OWN stuff! :7 It did look really thin to me but maybe it's just an optical illusion! A lot of moms are saying it fits a lot! Now I'm anxiously awaiting the new wider version in the next co-op!!

Thanks again!

lmariana
08-04-2004, 06:21 PM
I talked to Ellen at Skip Hop recently, and it sounds like the have a LOT of fun new things planned! In addition to the larger bag, they will also be adding smaller bags with a more feminine flair! There is also a possibility of a denim bag (with different piping) in the future, though this is not confirmed.

I'm not sure about when to expect any of this, but it sounds like Skip Hop will be one company to keep your eye on in the future!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)

supercalifragilous
08-04-2004, 06:30 PM
You're the best! Do they have an ETA for any of those things?

That's so cool! I'm definitely going to hold out on getting one until I see the new ones, then! No wonder DH hates me being on these boards! And no wonder I never get anything done at work!

I don't have "dancing sugarplums" - I have "diaperbags dancing in my head..."

Buzymommy5
08-04-2004, 08:48 PM
have you considered the timbuk2 bags? these are awesome bags with great organizational pockets. the company is still in the works of a diaper bag but their regular messengers are great as baby bags. the material is exactly like the loom marsupials...very durable. i'll take some pics for ya now that i got the hang of it :) chris

twofallbabies
08-04-2004, 10:33 PM
I'll join ya, I don't have a SkipHop either!

Jessica, mama in MD to
Dillon 9/98 & Lucas 10/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
21+ months...

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

pixelprincess
08-05-2004, 05:00 PM
hi, i just got an Alpha7 and it is a cute bag. I haven't seen the Kecci IRL so can't compare organization, but it is on the smaller side. It works for me as a light packer here are a few things that I think could be better (when one pays quite so much)-
one of the front pockets is not deep enough IMO, the side pockets don't fit the sippy's as well when the bag is stuffed. Also there are 3 tiny pockets in front...i'd have been happier with two bigger ones.
I am still hoping to get a red Kecci through the last co-op.