PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle seat vs. trailer

kduesel
08-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I think "diaper bags" is going to need its own subcategory! Anyone have any information on safety of infant bicycle seats vs. "trailers" (the bicycle seats that ride on the ground as opposed to behind the adult seat). Also, any recommendations on a good brand to buy. My son is a big boy - 9 months old and about 26 lbs and my husband and I would like to start bicycling again!
Thanks!
Kristen

vpalmer
08-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Kristen,

Regarding safety, I have not compiled specifc facts as to the safety of the trailer vs. the bike, although it seems logical to me that my child was safer in a "roll cage," which is essentially what a bike trailer is, as opposed to a seat. Not to say that a bike seat isn't safe, just that my DH and I felt safer going with the bike trailer option.

After researching bike trailers, we chose to buy the Cougar 2 made by Chariot. It has a hefty price tag, but if you have considered purchasing a jogging stroller as well, this is a great alternative. The Cougar (1 or 2 seater) comes as a chassis and you purchase separate components to transform it into a bike trailer, jogging stroller, regular stroller, "backpack" or "ski.

I found the best price for the Cougar 2 was Agees.com. I purchased the Cougar 2 chassis, the bike trailer attachment and the jogging stroller attachment for $410.

Veronica
Mom to Eva

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030612/3/0/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

bostonsmama
08-08-2004, 12:45 PM
As long as your son can hold his head up and sit up on his own, he should have the ability to sit comfortably in an infant bicycle seat. During the summers I was home from college, I nannied for a very cautious couple. I took the youngest girl (12mos) out in a bicyle seat with a helmet. She loved being able to look at everything...and we never had a problem with safety. Granted, your bicycle will be a little more "tippy" at first. With all that weight in the back, the dynamics of stability can be thrown off from what you're used to. But once you get the hang of it, it's quite nice. I never had to worry about someone stealing a $400 apparatus:o if we took a trip to the local library or Gymboree. I don't remember what kind it was, but it had nice padding, a reclining back seat, and leg wells for the baby. It attached securely to the family's Schwinn bike; and they felt comfortable with their good but moderately priced investment. (Check the BB book for the Field's recommendation...they all looked similar to the one I used).

Also, have your local bike specialty shop check your installation for free...I'm sure they'd rather see a future customer safer than sorry. ;)

Can't speak to the bike trailer, but I imagine they're tricky to hook up and hard steer with when loaded. Since your bouncy baby boy will likely be on his own wheels (tricycle) in a matter of 1-2 years, it might be the "baby bargain" to get a mid-priced seat until he masters the art of his own bicycle with training wheels. After all, there are weight limits to those things (and height limits)!

hipmaman
08-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Having tried both trailer and bike seat (front and back), I prefer the trailer. There are a few factors that we consider better with the trailer and bought one instead of the bike seat.

For us, the trailer gives better stability to my bike. It is lower to the ground and should there ever be an accident, a good trailer will not tip over while a child has a long way to fall down with the bike if sitting in the bike seat.

The other big thing is that with the trailer you can cart around 2 kids and cargo by yourself. With the seat, you are quite limited with only one child per adult and a short jaunt. If you plan to have more children and wanting a trailer, I would just get a double trailer anyway.

The trailer hitch is so easy to attach/detach so that you have a trailer to get places, but when you get to the destination, you can convert to a stroller instead of lugging a heavy child around if going with the bike seat.

I also like the trailer being 'contained' and if the kids happen to drop a toy or a sippy cup, it's withing the cockpit and they can easily retrieve the item themselves. With a good trailer, the cockpit would be geared with a nice mesh for normal riding condition and a rain cover that you don't worry about your children getting wet either (or cold).

The capacity of a good trailer is about 100 lbs. My 5 and 3 yrs old kids still ride in the trailer with room to spare and having fun riding. Sometimes, we go on long rides that they cannot either keep up in distance or speed and have to ride in the trailer instead of riding their own bikes. For this reason, trailer does have longevity in use while bike seat actually has more limited life as they have lower weight limit but also in size.

But either trailer or bike seat, a child must be able to sit up straight, have enough control to carry the weight of the helmet and be able to right him/herself up when he/she starts to slip 'n slide with the jolt of the ride. Trailer like the Chariot/Trek nowaday has accessories like the baby sling so that a baby/young child can actually recline/lie down in the trailer.

Good luck deciding.

vpalmer
08-09-2004, 09:31 AM
I just wanted to second everything Tam said about the bike trailer. I also wanted to reiterate that the Cougar (and I imagine most better bike trailers) allow you to strap the wheel on the bake of the trailer, so when you reach your destination you can easily convert the trailer to a stroller and take it in your destination. The conversion is a snap and you can easily do it while your child is strapped into the seat.

Veronica
Mom to Eva

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030612/3/0/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

kduesel
08-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice about the bike seat/trailer! We are going to our local bike shop today to purchase a trailer. With our son's weight and size, I think he would be out of a seat before long! I can't wait to start bicycling again!
Kristen
a/k/a Mom to Jake Logan!:-)