PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag Dilemma

LAParent
08-10-2004, 11:14 AM
I need a starter diaper bag, but there are too many choices out there! Should I get a Lands End Do It All, or will a Little Tripper be enough for trips to the store, Grandma's house, etc. Or is there some other diaper bag I should consider? I'm especially interested in a backpack-style (or one of those one shoulder backpacks), but I've heard the Lands End one is too big for a smaller person (I'm 5'4").

Thanks in advance!

Laura

icunurse
08-10-2004, 11:34 AM
The LE Diaper Backpack has all the bells and whistles, but it is HUGE. We only use ours when we are taking DS for an all-day event or overnight. I am loving my LE Little Tripper (I bought the "old" style on the LE overstocks page for $12.50 about a month ago). I can clip it on the bars of my PP stroller without it being too bulky and it it small enough to carry for trips to the store. I can easily fit 2 bottles, formula dispenser, bib, 5 sz 3 diapers, change of clothes, wipes holder, wallet/cell, and sample size creams, etc without any problem. I don't have any other LE bags, but they are the two ends of the diaper bag spectrum as far as size goes. I have to add that I just received my Alpha 7 and adore it....I can easily fit in everything from the Little Tripper and still have room for small toys, jars of food, etc, and it doesn't seem too bulky. Someone is selling one for a great price on the babybags board. Hope I didn't confuse you more!
Traci
~Connor's Mom~

bethdg1
08-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Have you had your baby yet? If you haven't, my advice would be to wait. You will get a bag, either Enfamil or Similac, from the hospital. That will do you until you figure out your packing style, etc.

That said, I have the Lands End backpack (use it for the sitter for both kids), the Old Little Tripper (for the toddler on outings) and the Do It All (for the baby for long trips). I am 5'4" also and haven't had any trouble.

Momof3Labs
08-10-2004, 11:55 AM
I agree. Plus, it depends on whether you will be breastfeeding or formula feeding as that influences how much bag you need in the early months.

bethdg1
08-10-2004, 11:57 AM
True. I formula fed the first so I had to lug around water and the formula dispener along with the bottles. With the second, we are breastfeeding so I pack much lighter this time.

LAParent
08-10-2004, 12:53 PM
I'll be breastfeeding (at least I am pretty determined to BF, I suppose something could go wrong).

I didn't think about that. And I'm not sure the hospital gives us a diaper bag. They never mentioned it in my baby class at the hospital.

the5howards
08-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Some hospitals are starting to shy away from giving out the Diaper bags from formula companies. I know that the hospital that I will be going to does not give them away any longer. I was told by a friend most peds offices are starting to hand them out on Baby's first visit.

My favorite diaper bag for a newborn wasn't a diaper bag at all. We used a Vera Bradley Villager. Size wise I would say it is somehwere between a LE DIA and Le LT. After that bag my next Favorite was the Chester classic diaper bag. This time around we will probably end up going with something bigger as I have a not quiite two year old when the newest is born.

Chrissy

Chelsey333
08-10-2004, 09:43 PM
My hospital stopped giving them out also. I would be too nervous to wait until after the baby is born to go buy a bag. But I am weird like that. I had to have everything in the house and prepared. I even bought soda, plates, etc. for the Christening while I was still pregnant!