PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag Checklist

classyt
08-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi! I am a brand new mom to baby Lucas Parker (1 week old yesterday) and am in desperate need of a really good diaper bag checklist. I went to the pediatrician yesterday and ended up having to ask them for extra diapers and formula because I ran out in the 1/2 hour I was there. How embarrassing!

Anyway, does anyone have a good comprehensive list that I can use so I can always make sure I'm prepared? Also would love suggestions on what to keep in the car as well.

Thanks.

farsk
08-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Hello!

Congrats on your new baby!

OK, here's my checklist:
*Diapers - I keep mine in an Eagle Creek Pack-It Cube (1/4 size) and they stay nice and tidy there. It holds around 5-7 depending on the size
*Wipes - fully stocked every time you go out
*Emergency onesie or outfit
*2 burp cloths or wipe up towels
*Sanitary pads for mom (learned the hard way!)
*Diaper rash cream
*Extra pacifier
*Extra breast pads (if you nurse)
*Snack bar (I like Luna Bars)
*Extra cash

I know that others on the board with experience with bottle feeding will be able to help out on that end!

Good Luck!

Chelsey333
08-13-2004, 05:40 PM
I'll add to that list, I also bring lots of bibs. I have a very spitty baby and we go thru 3 in a couple of hours.

also:
-receiving blanket (never know when you dressed baby to cool or it helps at the doctor's office when you have to undress them
-a sweater
-sunhat (nice to have it in the car at least)
-I usuall keep 2 outfits in bag, one that is shortsleeve/shorts and one that is shortsleeve but will cover their legs
-extra pair of socks (my little guy can wiggle his feet when I am changing diapers, and then the socks get poop on them.
-some plastic baggies to toss diapers out

Don't feel bad about forgetting stuff, I am sure every mom out there has done that at least once! I know I have done it. In fact, every time I go off for a long outing, I realize I should have packed differently - either less outfits or more bibs, etc. and I have 2 kids. It takes lots of practice!

Congratulations!

wreckgirl1
08-13-2004, 05:44 PM
We had a grab & go bag that can fit in my purse (for quick trips < 1/2 hour) and a diaper bag. Grab & go was 2 dipes, non-rigid sample/travel pack of wipes, and one of those papery large disposable lap pads (lay down for diaper changes) all in a 1-gallon ziplock folded over.

Diaper bag had rigid travel wipe case (ALWAYS full - you can really burn through those), 4 diapers, reusable travel changing pad (1 dipe and wipes tucked into it), at least 2 (small) bottles pre-loaded with correct amount of formula (just add water), a couple of those disposable lap pads (though I hardly ever used them, but they take up virtually no space), onesie, sample pack of diaper cream (like the ketchup packs - we never really used this), $10 bill, $0.50 ("emergency quarter"), card with baby & parents' names and pediatrician's name & number, thin receiving blanket (when younger), burp cloth (when younger) or bib (now), 2-4 breast pads (when nursing), minipack of tissues (mostly for mom), hand sanitizer. When I knew I was going to be out for a while, I threw in a bottle of water for mixing formula (we had issues with nursing in public), though I found that if there IS water wherever you are, people will go out of their way to get it for you and at the right temperature if it is for a baby. I also kept a sample of one of those clean-up cloths, but J is 11 months old now and I still haven't opened it - wipes will do the same job.

Cynthia

lmariana
08-14-2004, 12:37 AM
Congrats! Here is my checklist for the newborn stage:

*Diapers (4-8, depending on your baby)- by the way we had tons less leaks with Huggies than with Pampers
*Wipes (I liked the 40 ct. pack by Huggies, but at least take one of the refillable cases fully packed. I keep 3 filled by the door and rotate/refill as needed)
*Vaseline & gauze- for circumcision (if applicable)
*4 Burp Cloths- we needed a lot!!!
*Extra outfit/onesie
*Sweater
*Blanket
*Hat
*Socks
*Changing Pad (padded is nice for the little ones)
*Hand Sanitizer (for you, obviously)
*Formula Container/Dispenser with 3-4 extra feedings (they sell these at Target, Walmart, BRU)
*Bottle (we loved the Playtex Nursers, no cleaning!)
*8 oz travel size of Nursery Water (found at Babies R Us- sterile water for mixing formula)
*Pacifier(s)
*Extra shirt for mom! (I got mine ruined with spit up way too often!)
*Breast pads

One thing that I always kept in the car was our Snuggle Nest. It was a perfect portable bed for visits to friends' houses or anywhere that didn't have a crib. Worth every penny in my opinion! The car was also home to a big back-up bag which had:

extra diapers
whole tub o' wipes
2 baby outfits/pjs
extra mommy and daddy shirts
4 more burp cloths
whole extra can of formula
extra nursery water
extra bottles (2-3 more)
extra blanket
mommy and daddy snacks (because you never know when you'll be hungry and stuck feeding the baby somewhere!)
baby wash (just in case things get REALLY messy!)

Hope you get some good ideas here! Your diaper bag essentials will change all the time, before you know you'll be toting around Cheerios and Wiggles CD's. :) Enjoy every minute of your lovely sleep deprivation! You're doing a great job.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040814/1/3/0/-5/.png[/img] (img)