PDA

View Full Version : Pack 'n Play Alternatives

MarcieB
08-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for travel beds or bassinets that could serve as an alternative for a Pack 'n Play. We're trying to minimize the amount of baby equipment we buy and a PNP seems like too much bulk and hassle for the amount of times we'd use it.

Ideas?

Marcie
Expecting 1st Baby, 10/5/04

bethdg1
08-17-2004, 03:10 PM
What about this:

http://www.ebags.com/product_detail/index.cfm?modelID=14293&sourceid=COMJ0100&AID=10293324&PID=1489599

twizzli
08-18-2004, 05:30 PM
We are planning on trying this for co-sleeping
http://www.valco.com.au/pdf/Pic2472003162748.pdf

Chelsey333
08-18-2004, 09:16 PM
We have a Fisher Price dome. We bought it at Burlington Coat Factory. It is great for the first 4 or 5 mos. I also had a PNP. But I could keep the dome in the car, bec it was so small. It has a net covering that can enclose the baby if outside. Plus you can angle it so the sun does not get to baby. I mostly used mine for visiting friends or daytime naps - but you could use it for night time too. But once baby is able to sit up it would not be safe anymore.

cinrein
08-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Bassinets usually can't be used after the baby is over 15 lbs, so they aren't a very good alternative. Travel beds often can't be used for infants. The PNP is the only product I'm aware of that can be used from birth to over 1 year (or longer depending how long your child is).

What kind of travel would you anticipate doing? Will you need something that can accomodate an infant or toddler, or both? Are you staying with family or in hotels?

Just a thought, we did get a PNP and used it about once a month for travel (visiting grandmas). However, I did not realize we would be using the changing table attachment daily as a downstairs changing station.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

Momof3Labs
08-19-2004, 09:26 AM
What would you use the PNP for? And at what ages? That would help people suggest an alternative. Hotels usually have cribs to use, and if you travel by air to see family, there is often a baby equipment rental place that they can use. Though we are often able to borrow a PNP when traveling to see family (from a friend or neighbor of theirs). And we have a PNP that we keep at my mom's house, since she has space for one. We've never removed our PNP from our house!

MarcieB
08-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Maybe this will help with the suggestions...I'm looking for something I can put the baby in to nap/sleep when visiting friends or family for the day. We don't have a need for a PNP at home because our home is all one floor and not too big, so we'll only have one changing table and the baby can nap in the crib and still be pretty close by. We have enough friends with PNPs that we could probably borrow one if we needed it for a longer trip.

>What would you use the PNP for? And at what ages? That
>would help people suggest an alternative. Hotels usually have
>cribs to use, and if you travel by air to see family, there is
>often a baby equipment rental place that they can use. Though
>we are often able to borrow a PNP when traveling to see family
>(from a friend or neighbor of theirs). And we have a PNP that
>we keep at my mom's house, since she has space for one. We've
>never removed our PNP from our house!

nupe
08-19-2004, 02:06 PM
I liked the Deluxe Snuggle Nest for travel with DS. I've posted on this before. It is good for sleeping, and changing and is quite sturdy. (DH hurt his shoulder when he leaned back into it without looking.) It folds up to the size of a full/queen size pillow and is very lightweight. I modified regular pillowcases so that I would have several "sheets" for the mattress pad. It is hard for me to take the PNP up and down a flight of steps--I would not consider traveling with it at this stage anyway.