PDA

View Full Version : Help me downsize my diaper bag

new_mommy25
08-19-2004, 02:14 AM
I never come into this forum so I don't know what all the new cute bags are!

I've been using a Combi US for the past year and have been really pleased with it. It holds everything I need, DH doesn't mind wearing it, and it hangs nicely off the handles of my P3. I keep it permamently in the car and restock as needed.

The problem is I've been realizing that I just don't use/restock the bag very often anymore. Gone are the days when I would go through several diapers in just one outing. DS can go several hours without peeing and never has a blowout. Plus for the past few months I have gone back to carrying a purse so the two front pockets are now empty. I think it's time for a smaller bag.

I need to carry
1-2 diapers
wipes
recieving blanket (my changing pad!)
sippy cup
snack cup

I'd like there to be a little bit of extra for random occasional items like a toy, digital camera, mini gerber juice etc.

I'd like it to be able to hang off the back of my stroller. I could always stick it in the basket but I like to reserve that for the rest of my crap, lol. It needs to be fairly neutral so my DH won't grumble if he needs to carry it.

I looked at the Lands End Little Tripper. It looks like it'll do the job, but it's just not "fun". I want something bright and original. Or classy like the Petunia Picklebottom fabric. The Lands End just doesn't do it for me.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

ETA: I just read a few posts and I like the look of the Skip Hop. Can anyone tell me about this bag?

jec2
08-19-2004, 02:39 AM
I was thinking about suggesting the skip hop. I don't have one, but there has been so much posted on it that you should be able to find some good info and pics. You also might consider a Loom Bandicoot (loomlife.com), a Fleureville Escape Pod, or a cute, custom-made tote from Whimsicalwears.com I have the Katie Bucket tote and it holds 1-2 trim CD's plus a sippy and a toy or two and a few of my things. Best of all, it works like a purse and looks like a purse.

HTH

Chelsey333
08-19-2004, 08:30 AM
I have the Skip hop and I think that one might be too big for you. I carry a lot and it holds all of my stuff. It looks small bec it is skinny but it is a tall bag. Before I had my 2nd I was downsizing my bag with a 2 year old and starting taking a purse that had exterior and interior pockets. I saw a really cute purse the other day that looked like it could be a small diaper bag. It had a pocket on each side (sippy cup) and was big enough to carry all your goodies. I don't know the name of it but I saw it at Filene's.

rrosen
08-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Angie-
I really like my skip hop. It fits more than it looks like it would. I can't really fit two cloth diapers in it though. I end up keeping an extra bag and wet bag in the car for those. I can stuff one FB in and an emergency sposie though! This has worked fine for me. I really love being able to hang the skip hop from my stroller, a shopping cart etc. It puts everything I need right at my finger tips. And for fun, I bought it in Bubble Gum pink!

Have you joined the WW coop group on Yahoo? One of Kim's bags may be a good choice for you too.

jk3
08-19-2004, 09:58 AM
I love my Skip Hop too. I haven't used any of my other bags since I purchased the Skip Hop which says a lot. It's so practical + I like the versatility as a shoulder bag + stroller bag. I went for boring black but there are lots of fun colors + the corduroy bag looks great too.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

lmariana
08-19-2004, 10:19 AM
I too think the SKip Hop will be more bag than you want. I think as far as small diaper bag goes, there's not a whole lot to chose from.

The Little Tripper is a good choice, but like you said, low on style.

The Fleurville Escape Pod is a very small diaper tote. It will carry a couple of diapers, wipes (not a case though), and a few smaller, flatter things...but not much more. There is not prevision for holding sippys or bottles or anything you may want to add occasionally. I'd skip it.

I just ordered a Loom Bandicoot (www.loomlife.com) which is a small bag, can be worn messenger style or as a backpack, has a cute detachable mommy purse, 2 nice bottle/sippy pockets outside, and has Loom's famous high-quality construction. It's normally about $110, but there is a co-op on the Baby Bags Swap which will get you a nice deal.

Custom bags are great, but have a low probability of being carried by a spouse! You can pick your own fabric, bag style, accetns, etc...so it's really fun to design one! There's a co-op now for Whimsical Wears, and another popular custom bag maker is Ella Bags (www.ella-bags.com).

There's also the Baby Travel Tote by Baby in Tow. I haven't tried one in person, but I found it on totshop.com (http://www.totshop.com/shop/tots/catalog/product.asp?pf%5Fid=TTT%2DBTK1&bt=tt). It's similar to the Little Tripper, but with more organization and a cuter style. :)

Another bag to consider is the Metro by Timbuk2 (timbuk2.com). It's not a traditional diaper bag, but is awesome! I just bought one and am loving it. Lots of fun colors, ultra durable construction, fun colors, nice adjustable strap, waterproof interior, mesh bottle holder inside, hangs easily from my stroller, and spouse friendly.

Have fun browsing!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

marnay
08-19-2004, 10:19 AM
You could also try a Chester tote ( chesterhandbags.com) check their sale page, as they are 50% off there. I love my Chester tote, it is light and not too big. There is also a Timi and Leslie co-op going on and the small bebe bag might be a good choice. I think I am going to buy a large one, as I don't want to carry a seperate purse.

Skip Hops are nice bags, it was a bit too tall for me, so I am not using mine. Sometimes you have to try different bags out to see what works. I also like the Kecci bag but it would probably be too large for your needs.

Naydene

new_mommy25
08-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions! Yikes, this is harder than I thought. I bookmarked all your suggestiond. Today I'm going to a high end botiques that has a ton of bags. I'm hoping some of the bags you all mentioned are there.

jec2
08-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Keep us updated on what you find and what you think. It's like we are all shopping too :)