PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding between Mothership and Alpha-7

connors_mom
08-23-2004, 01:13 PM
I really need some help. I ordered the new Loom Bandicoot thinking it would be the perfect bag for me, but I am not crazy about the zippered opening and I think it is too hard to access from the top.

Since the Loom did not work out, I've moved on to Fleurville. I thought I wanted a Mothership , but when I looked at it this weekend, it looked pretty big. This is my first baby, so I have no idea what I will really need! I thought about the Alpha-7, but I am hesitant to order one since they are redesigning them for early 2005 (and I also REALLY like the new houndstooth pattern that isn't available on the Alpha-7 yet). Since you all seem to know everything about diaper bags, I am turning to this board. :)

I will be using disposable diapers if that helps. I also live in Texas, so I won't really need to carry around heavy clothing for the baby except on the rare occasion that we get a severe cold snap. I guess I should also add that I am delivering on September 2, so holding out until 2005 is not really an option.

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

icunurse
08-23-2004, 01:34 PM
From one mom of a Connor to another (great name choice, BTW! :) I love my Alpha....it easily has anough room for the 2 bottles and formula dispenser, 4 sz3 diapers, complete change of clothes, wipes case (comes with the Alpha), small diaper cream/SPF/Aquaphor, antibacterial wipes, bib, burp cloth, jar of food that I usually pack with some room to spare. The outside pockets fit my cellphone, sm wallet, and makeup. It has lots of pockets, which I like. If I had to be picky, I wish one of the inside pockets would close to be able to keep small stuff in it. I did, however, just purchase a mothership (through the co-op that ends tonight) because I wanted a little more room for heavier clothes and a couple of toys, etc. HTH!
Traci
~Connor's Mom~
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050204/1/0/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

kensjen
08-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Welcome to diaper bag shopping! Hopefully you don't become as addicted as the rest of us! LOL

Well, I have the mothership and I love it! It is a BIG bag, but I really need that. I use cloth diapers, so I do need the extra room. With an infant, sometimes you really need the larger bag, with everything you will drag along with you. Also, the diaper bag will replace your purse, so your personal items will be in there too. Now that I have a toddler, I need the extra room for the sippy cups, snacks, toys....and still the diapers. I can always fill a bag, LOL. If you are a light packer and like smaller bags, this is not for you. :)

I had the Alpha-7 and returned it...just didn't work out for me. I know others have really loved it, so it is definitely a personal thing. It is still pretty big, and the backpack option was awkward to me. Since that is why I bought it, I sent it right back. It does have nice pockets, love the outer ones for phone, etc...

You are right, that new houndstooth pattern is to die for! I pre-ordered a mothership in it! hehe Maybe I will have to see my white corduroy MS now, LOL.

If you deliver at the hospital, you should get one of the enfamil bags. (ask for it!) It is a nice bag, and could get you through until you decide what your needs are, how much you like to pack, etc. You could also wait for the new bags to be released. Until the baby is here, you may not know what you really need. I know I totally changed my thinking about diaper bags, once Jonah was here and I knew what I needed to take out with me.

Good luck deciding! Baby bag shopping is soooooo fun!!

Chelsey333
08-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Alpha bec of the redesigning. Only bec it is such a great bag as is, and the design changes are coming out at such a later date. I really think the perfect situation for any new mom would be to have a Mothership and an Alpha 7. The Alpha is great for short trips out and the MS is great for longer things. I have a 3 mos old and 2 year old and I leave the house daily with my Alpha stuffed. I use disposable diapers, and I am not familiar with how much room you would need for cloth diapers. The Alpha definitely isn't too big for me. The MS is not too big for me when it comes to what I carry daily, but it looks so big that I usually do not to take it on short trips out. The reason the bags are so great, is bec of all the pockets and how functional the bags are.

connors_mom
08-23-2004, 03:19 PM
> From one mom of a Connor to another (great name choice,
>BTW! :) I love my Alpha....it easily has anough room for the 2
>bottles and formula dispenser, 4 sz3 diapers, complete change
>of clothes, wipes case (comes with the Alpha), small diaper
>cream/SPF/Aquaphor, antibacterial wipes, bib, burp cloth, jar
>of food that I usually pack with some room to spare. The
>outside pockets fit my cellphone, sm wallet, and makeup. It
>has lots of pockets, which I like. If I had to be picky, I
>wish one of the inside pockets would close to be able to keep
>small stuff in it. I did, however, just purchase a mothership
>(through the co-op that ends tonight) because I wanted a
>little more room for heavier clothes and a couple of toys,
>etc. HTH!
>Traci
>~Connor's Mom~
>http://lilypie.com/baby1/050204/1/0/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Thanks for everyone's advice!

What are the prices on the Alpha-7 and the Mothership on the co-op that ends tonight? My work blocks access to the site, so I can't see that information. Also, if you have a link that I could try to access from home this evening, that would be great... it's been a while since I tried and I don't remember the site adderss. :)

MorganMom
08-23-2004, 06:38 PM
I just bought an A7 and a Mothership thru the co-op as well. My Conor is 2 yrs old and I'm expecting another in December so I figured I would need a bigger bag than what I'm using now (a homemade dipe bag). I'm a really light packer so I hope the A7 will be my main bag and the MS will be for longer trips with both kids.

My advice to go ahead and get the A7 now, since the redesign won't happen till after your little one is born. Also it's not bad advice to use another bag for a while till you figure out how much you really pack. I've seen a lot of people with absolutely HUGE diaper bags stuffed full of all kinds of things. Personally I pack my diaper bag lightly and keep a large plastic container in the car for emergencies and spares.

Just so you get an idea, I pack into my diaper bag: 1 or 2 disposable dipes, sippy cup, ziploc bag of snacks for DS, disposable bib, Huggies travel container of wipes, mini bottle of hand sanitizer, couple of toys for DS. When he was younger, I would also carry a thin flannel receiving blanket to use as a changing pad/cover up and a cloth diaper for a burp rag.

In the big container in the car, I keep half a package of spare dipes, a full container of spare wipes, a change of clothes for me and DS, extra water in bottles, a sweater and long pants for DS in case it gets cool unexpectedly, a roll of paper towels and a couple of spare ziploc bags for trash or dipes.

If you live where you drive your car almost everywhere, there's no reason to drag all that extra stuff with you...just pack your A7 lightly and go back to the car if you need anything else. Also if you're breastfeeding, you can usually expect to carry less because you won't need to bring bottles or formula.

HTH

connors_mom
08-23-2004, 08:47 PM
I ended up going with an Alpha 7 through the co-op. I barely made it home from in work in time, but I was able to get my order in! Thanks for all of the advice.