PDA

View Full Version : Where to start looking for non-diaper-like diaper bags?

downwarddog
08-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Help! I need to start looking for a diaper bag (I'm due in several weeks!) but I don't want one that LOOKS like a diaper bag. Something that is back-friendly, something that is not too frilly (Vera Bradley isn't really my style though I do like them OK), something that my husband wouldn't be ashamed of carrying around. Something that will LAST. Something that is economical (I can't pay $100 for a bag).

I don't know what brands to begin checking out -- what do people like that they've tried & tested? Please give me somewhere to START! :-)

Thanks everyone!
~Lenore
Due in Sept in NH

JLiebCamm
08-23-2004, 05:34 PM
It sounds like you should get in on the Whimsical Wears co-op! Many look like tote bags, they're high quality, and you can customize your fabric to your taste.
Here's the link:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=12827&mode=full&page=2

heidi_timms
08-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Hmmm. Lots to choose from. There are several Sally Spicer baby bags in ebay right now. They are a great price if you ask me. Oops, I just checked again and most of the auctions ended last night, but I bet they will relist some of the ones that didn't sell. Go to ebay and type in "Sally Spicer" in your search.

Many people like the Skip*hop diaper bags, but they are thinner and smaller than most, but seem to have great pockets and run about $50 for the canvas and about $80 for the corderoy.

Gap always seems to have a cute bag for the season for about $50-60.

I also like www.tuttibella.com, but the bags are pretty pricey there.

Many people like the Lands End bags, but they are not my personal style. Just plain black, but simple and functional.

I would check out your local baby boutique to see all of the newest bags.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

downwarddog
08-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Thanks a TON! I just signed up & am awaiting approval. In the meantime, I'll check out the Sally Spicer & those few other brands to take a look-see. Thanks for the heads up, you are all wonderful!

~Lenore
Due 9/20 in NH

marnay
08-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Also looking into Timbuk2 bags, they are not really diaper bags but messenger bags. The small messenger with a center divider makes a wonderful roomy bag with space for everything.

They are sporty looking so hubby will not mind toting it around.

Naydene

alkagift
08-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Skip-Hop is a good small to medium bag that my DH likes because it's sporty. And the canvas ones are about $50, the corduroy $65.

Also, I like the plain looks of the LE tailored tote. Holds a bunch and isn't too expensive. Disadvantage is, over the Skip Hop, that you can't put it over your stroller handles neatly.
This is the link to the large one:
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1943_52397_100006_78453_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=6905025993323143840&CM_MERCH=SRCH

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03