PDA

View Full Version : Is the Fleurville MS too big for me? link to pics

caroline9
08-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Sorry to be posting in this forum with another question to you ladies, but you ARE the experts! I know there is not a "right" answer to this, but I am having a dilemma. I LOVE the design of the MS and I really could use the size since I CD and am a bit of a packrat, and I love the LB pattern. I bought the pink stripes but it just wasn't feeling good about how it looked with my wardrobe and size so I sold it, then I bought a timi and leslie bag and while it is lovely, I am just not so sure that it is for me either! The bottle pockets are a joke, and it is not that much smaller though it does squish down and is not nearly as deep, (which is not necessarily a good thing for some but it looks better on a petite person. I like the bib that came with it, and the fact that I don't look like I am carry a suitcase, and I like the zippered pocket on the outside. I am a tad under five feet and small and I feel like I look like a dwarf with the MS bag on. Here is a link to pictures comparing the T&L and MS bag, and comparing them on me. What do you think?

I think I can still return the T&L bag since I got it from them directly and have not used it. I really like the color combo, but the MS colors are so much more my style, as is the shape, pocketing, etc. I am just really feeling like it makes me look stupid. At this rate I don't think anything will work for me! I have sold 2 bags (without even using them!) and may return a third, I am nuts!

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAN2jlu4aOGjhw

Thanks for any thoughts!

Caroline
Mommy to Isabel 05/06/2003

annabellesmom
08-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Gee, I was thinking about getting a mothership but now that I see it on you I realize its just huge!!! Even being a good 6 inches taller than you I still think that it just might be too much bag. Maybe a timbuk2 messager would work better for you? Thanks for posting the pics. I have some serious thinking to do. I don't think you're nuts at all. You just want something that works and looks good, we all deserve that :)

ctychick
08-26-2004, 07:52 PM
My MS just got here yesterday (Fiesta Stripe!! - It's discontinued but I called all over the country looking for that pattern and I think I scored the last one out there! LOL! I couldn't resist the colors!). To be honest, the bag is HUGE. My baby isn't due until November, so keep in mind that I haven't actually used the bag yet. But I can say that YES - it looks like a small suitcase on me and I'm 5'7"!! I think I would feel kind of weird walking around the mall with it hanging from my shoulder. For this reason I didn't buy it as an everyday bag. I knew I would need a larger bag as we often stay out at my in-laws on the weekends and make very frequent trips to my family in Florida, so I'm using it mainly as a travel or long day-trip bag. While it is spacious, I think it is much too bulky for every day. Also, you should keep in mind that the strap is not adjustable. Have you tried hanging the bag off of your stroller? Is that OK for you? Also, some has said it is too big for even a stroller basket. I love the bag, but you might need something different for your needs. Since I am so new to this, I can't recommend an alternative, but I'm sure someone out there can suggest something. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Debra

marnay
08-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Wow both of those bags look huge on you.... I know you need a large bag because you CD, but you may have to sacrafice some of the space and downsize a bit.

What about a Chester tote? It doesn't have tons of pockets inside but it is very lightweight and easy to carry around. I love mine. www.chesterhandbags.com checkthe sale page for bags 50% off.

What if you kept a packed bag in your car with extras and just took one or two diapers with you in your main bag?

I will keep thinking....

Naydene

jasabo
08-26-2004, 08:15 PM
I just LOVE that pink stripe MS!! Every time I see it, I like it even more :) I just ordered a MS through the co-op (the green and blue dots because the pink stripe was on backorder). I haven't rec'd it yet, but have seen them IRL - they're definitely big bags and I can see where you're coming from. I ordered it primarily for trips and all day outings. I think it's too big for mall crawls, etc.. And I've got twins, so it'd definitely be too big for me with one baby. I have an Alpha 7 that I've been using as my primary bag for the past few months and I love it. It's smaller then the MS, but just as organized. The only problem is the colors aren't as fun as the MS. I have the red, which is nice but a little too conservative for me. I prefer the more fun fabrics. But if you don't mind that, an Alpha 7 might work for you.

If you decide to sell your MS, let me know...dh would have a cow if I bought another bag, but I just love the pink stripe!! :) :)

Lisa - mom to 14 month old twin boys

caroline9
08-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the replies! and glad if I was able to help with the pics, I wish I had had those before I got into this mess! Lisa, I already sold the MS bag, what I am thinking of now is returning the timi and leslie one, but I don't know, I really like that the strap is adjustable on that but it doesn't seem big enough! At the same time, yes, I don't keep my CDs with me in a bag when I go to the mall, i keep tyhem in the car b/c I change her in the car. I cant stand to do it anywhere else, and she is just too squirmy! I also don't take toys, other than her play cell phone, so I have gotten down to just needing my purse, her sippy cup and one toy when I leave the car! I have a crappy BRU backpack I keep in the car and take on trips, and am thinking I should just use my good LLBean backpack for trips and be done with it. What I am *trying* to do is replace my purse and diaper bag with ONE bag, and I am having a tough time. It's just that I love the lime bingo, but thank you for being honest, I agree the MS looks HUGE on me (Which is why I sold the last one) I am just trying to convince myself not to buy another! Does the chester bag have a vinyl outer? Oh I just checked, it does, but I gfeatr the strap won';t be long enough, I really dislike bags that fall of my shoulder. I am obsessed with having a vinyl outer so I am limited!

Caroline

marnay
08-26-2004, 08:45 PM
The straps on the Chester bag for some reason don't fall off. I don't know why but they stay put. They are nice bags and have great customer service!

Naydene

masetane
08-26-2004, 08:49 PM
HI Caroline - Ok, can I be honest here? I'm not crazy about the T&L bags due to the pastels and I think the mothership is just waaaaaaaay to big for you. I think you could find something a lot more flaterring. Woudl the Alpha 7 work for you?? It's a nice size (not asl large as the mothership) but nice organization and coating on the fabric. Maybe you can adjust your packing to accomodate a bag that fits you better???? Then again, how often are you wearing your bag - I am usually putting mine on the stroller but I wear it enough to care about the size. I'll be curious so see what you decide
Caroline
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ma.gif
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

toomanystrollers
08-26-2004, 09:13 PM
LOL Caroline,
I was just checking out Jen's MS bag (which she loves), but man is that a big bag :)

Have you seen the Loom Marsupial IRL? OR maybe the Sally Spicer messenger bag would work well for you?

I'm down to using a LE Little Tripper - I stuff my wallet, phone, an AIO, wipes, water bottle and that's it! Everything else stays in the car.

caroline9
08-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Caroline, Absolutely, thanks for being honest! I think the colors of that bag are a little too light as well, though I do like them...I agree it is jsut too big looking (though it looks better than the MS IMO). I hate to return it but at the same time I could use the $ back!

HI PAM, fancy meeting you here, lol, I didn't know Jen was back yet! Yes, I saw her MS and I think that got me started on thinking I could get away with it! but she is tall and can pull it off! I like you, keep everything in the car now, so really all I have is a small black purse and it is working ok. It is jsut not quite big enough and not covered in vinyl, and for some reason I have gotten obsessed! Maybe I need to give up on the vinyl and check out the LE little tripper, OR the chester bag since apparently it doesn't fall off the shoulder (thanks for letting me know that, Naydene!) Not sure if I would sitll like that it is under my arm though. ITA agreement that the more I can keep in the car, the better. I HATE hauling lots of stuff on my short frame.

For some reason I thought the loom marsupial was as big as the MS, or at least as long (maybe not as tall?) I'll have to check the measurements.

Caroline

toomanystrollers
08-26-2004, 10:23 PM
:) I got to play with some Loom bags during the Chicago retreat. IMO, the Loom is more manageable than the MS and the strap's a lot shorter. Apparently the Loom doesn't work well messenger style for tallish moms. I had no problem wearing it messenger style, but I know Jen didn't like it.

robmab719
08-26-2004, 11:03 PM
What about one of the nylon Timi & Leslies? I just got the black nylon and, while it's a little boring on the outside, the inside fabric is really fun. And the outside bottle pockets actually work because the nylon is slicker than the vinyl. You could always get the bright pink nylon if you want something more fun.

I really like the Timi and Leslie because of the adjustable strap. I also have a Mothership and, though I'm tall and can get away with it, I've found myself gravitating toward my smaller bags lately (Kecci, Bandicoot and T&L) just because I don't need quite as much space as I did when I had a newborn.

caroline9
08-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Hmm, I wonder where I could take a look at a loom bag...I did not know you wnet to Chicago Pam! Alothugh if the strap is shorter I am gonigin the wrong direction since I don't want it to slip. I actually did like the MS strap. ALthough it makes me looks shorter to have a bag hanging down at my knees, I cannot stand it when it falls off my shoulders and I can't swing it around to my back.

Anyway, Robyn, I agree, I too jsut don't need that much bag for the mall, out at the store, etc. (as the MS) and if I go further I would just pack a backpack, not something stylish. I jsut am addicted to that LB pattern!) I did see the T&L bag that I think you or someone posted a while back in nylon, I agree thew inside fabric is fun, but for some reason I cannot justify spending more than about 45-50 dollars on a bag that is not a fancy laminated print on the outside...and frankly I am nuts to think I can afford this one! The only reason I got it was that my sister got me a PPB for christmas, which I returned for the toddler tote, then sold b/c I did not like the fabric delicacy and straps, so I felt I had to get something with the money since I felt bad for selling a gift I asked for.Anyway, I need to make a decision, I don't even know if T&L will take this one back!

FWIW, my DH does not think the T&L looks too big on me, wonder if I should just hang onto it since I won't lose shipping that way, I do like the adjustable strap! Perhaps, as with all bbay/tofddler item,s,there is no perfect bag!

How big is the chesetter backpack? the measurements seem quite large, but being a small person maybe a backpack won't look as silly on me as a big bag? Oh to be tall!

Caroline

boys2enough
08-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Hi, let me preface by saying that quite a few BBB moms have met me in person at the Chicago retreat and can vouch that I am a real-life mom and not some freak posing as a woman here... now that's out of the way...

Can I say that you look great?! :) Your expression is also so cute on that picture, and for some reason, it makes the bags look even bigger on you. (If that makes any sense at all LOL) Like the PPs, I too think both bags look huge on you. You can theoretically keep the MS for travel or for all-day outings. But it is not really practical in the sense that you cannot carry it messenger style, and usually when you are travelling, you need to free both arms to carry everything but the kitchen sink with you. ;-)

I was going to suggest a Lands' End DoIT ALL or an LE canvas bag (in pink stripes and now on sale too). But they are more the practical kind and not covered in vinyl.

Have you seen an Alpha 7? Do you think it will be too small for your needs? I like one PP's idea: carry 2 bags--one for essentials and one for back-ups. You can always leave the back-up in the car or in the basket of the stroller or have DH carry it for you. lol

Good luck on your search. NO, you are not nuts at all. If you are, we all are. ;-)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

MorganMom
08-26-2004, 11:46 PM
I agree, the MS looks huge on you (tho I love your expression in the pic :D ). I also love the pink stripe and ended up buying on in the last co-op along with a blue chocolate Alpha 7. I have to say that the MS is way too huge for me to use for an everyday bag. I am probably going to end up selling it and getting a Loom Bandicoot or Marsupial....we'll see.

Anyways, I think you should look at the Alpha 7. I love mine; the organization is wonderful and it's the perfect size to use every day. Plus I like that the strap is quickly adjustable...I can go from hanging on my stroller to throwing it on my shoulder in 5 seconds flat. The only drawback to the A7 is they don't have alot of cool colors. Hopefully that'll change soon!

jasabo
08-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Caroline,

Wanted to let you know that I had a Marsupial (returned it because I didn't like it) and I really think you'd have the same problem that you do with the MS. I found it very big and bulky. I'm 5'8 and not half as petite (you're SO lucky) as you are, and it looked bulky on me. JMO though - many moms love it.

I really think you should look at the Alpha 7.

ivparker
08-27-2004, 02:01 AM
Hey! I just ordered a MS, too, and am about the same size as you. So I think I might have the same problem. But I was wondering if there were any other mamas out there who still use the bag even if it is so big just because they aren't usually carrying it on their shoulder? Maybe it is in your stroller basket (if it can fit) or on the floor at a restuarant or a friend's house. What I am thinking is that maybe it would be good to have a big bag for evenings at friend's house or day trips where you wouldn't be necesarily carrying the bag around. I hope it works out for you. I hope it does for me, too, because I really want to use this bag. Any other petite mamas that can give us hope?

BTW I haven't recieved my ms yet.

caroline9
08-27-2004, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the compliments on the pics Lin and MorganMom, and my size, though I hate being this short! The expression must be due to the self-timer! Lin I totally agree, I travel a lot and cannot imagine using anything but a backpack for that, so getting a MS for travel seems pointless. Maybe the LE bag would work for daily use....I agree, I think both bags should go back and I should just save my money, I really did like the look of the alpha 7 on the web, (have not seen it IRL recently) but it appeared it was not covered in vinyl and so I thought I'd wait to see if they came out with a new one! Aren't they redisigning it next year? That is a LONG time to wait, but do-able, since by then I may have another baby and a legitimate excuse for a new bag. Does it have feet? I actually really like the blue chocolate color a lot!

Lisa, Thanks for the heads up on the loom bags, they seemed big judging by the measurements, but isn't the alpha 7 about the same size as the T&L bag (12x12?) If so that is actually OK with me I think, but it still might look a little goofy.

ivparker, I think if *you * are comfortable carrying the bag that is what matters, *I* felt really self-conscious, but if all the petite women want to join in the fun and start wearing huge bags, maybe it wouldn't look so strange, lol! Seriously though, it is a very large bag but if you need the space, you need the space! If you don't like it you can always return or ebay. They seem to do quite well there. I really wanted it to work for me but it seems too big. I have always had big bags, but never this big (thoguh I can always manage to sue the space!)

OK I think I am going to have to send back the T&L and look into an alpha, though I think maybe just sticking with my current crummy backpack will save me most money and time. thanks for all the help ladies, I would not have thoguht to return the T&L bag , but I thikn it is going back too.

Caroline

Chelsey333
08-27-2004, 09:05 AM
I am 5'8", so I don't have a problem with the Mothship's size. I admit, the bag did look huge on you. But it really is a great bag, and I would still keep it if I was shorter. As much as I don't want to be self-conscience about a bag on me, that bag is so big and super organized - it might be worth it for you. I would really miss my MS if I had to get rid of it. By far, it is the best organized bag I have had. It is a staple bag for me when visiting friends and family. If I were you, I would think about keeping it for weekends away or visiting family. It is so nice to have a huge bag that you can toss everything in and not have to bring a couple of small bags. Its kind of like the mini van theory. I know a mini van is not the coolest looking vehicle, but the convenience outweighs the coolness factor :}

marnay
08-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Here is a link to an eariler discussion that has pictures of a Chester Backpack. I am not a backpack kinda gal so I don't have one. I have the Chester classic diaper bag.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=10609&mesg_id=10609&listing_type=search

Here is a link with pictures of a classic diaper bag, this is the kind I have too.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=8909&mesg_id=8909&listing_type=search

Naydene

icunurse
08-27-2004, 10:16 AM
I guess that there is a good side to being a giant (well, compared to you anyway....I'm 5'5" LOL). I love my Alpha, but wanted something just a bit bigger for the times when I need to carry a bit more or we're out all day. So, I bought a MS. When I first took it out of the box, I thought,"Well, now that's a bit bigger than I thought it would be" (even though I knew from others that it would be "big"). But then I fell in love with the organization (much like my Alpha). I showed it to DH when he came home and he even remarked how he didn't think it would be as big as it is. I slung it over my shoulder and asked him if I looked ridiculous. He said,"No....but it is definitely a diaper bag (meaning it doesn't look like my new Ella's)." I would not feel comfortable using it for everyday, but I think it will be perfect for long trips to the zoo, grandparents, etc. Also, I saw someone the other day using one and she was smaller than me and she said it is so nice to have the organization, especially with 2 kids. So, I figure, if nothing else, I'll get more use when the next one shows up. HTH.
Traci
~Connor's Mom~

caroline9
08-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Traci, LOL on the giant comment. Beleive me at 5 feet and 90 pounds, I feel like thumbelina sometimes! There is no doubt I could fill up that space and keep that bag with me at all times (The MS) I don't even think it is *that* big inside, I just feel like I look goofy wearing it. I REALLY wanted it to work for me, but I also wanted people to be honest and tell me if they thought it looked silly. What did you think? I bought it b/c I have seen it on other moms and it looked OK and I thought I could get away with it, but I don't think I can. I agree though, I keep thinking about #2, and I really don't know that I coulfd fit everything in one bag! Maybe I should just hold off on any diaper bag until I am pg with #2. I wish the strap on the MS weren't so wide, I think that is part of what makes it look so odd on me. ALso, it looks more like an oversized purse than a bag, and while that is part of what attracts me I think that is part of what makes me looks so silly, since I am already udnersized! Anyway, it is mroe to think about. In the meantime I think the other one is gonig back. I may pull out the MS one more time just to try it on before I ship it today, but I think it is just too large for my frame :(
Caroline

icunurse
08-27-2004, 11:31 AM
I totally agree about the strap....can's say I like it and I think that is the thing that makes it look bad on me. It kinda makes the bag seem even bigger because the color and wideness of it draws attention to you. Honestly, I think it looks big on everyone....definitely makes me think,"Wow, they must have a lot of stuff." Like I said, giant that I am ;), I wouldn't carry it around everyday (I don't think I have that much stuff!), but, for the times I can truly use the size and organization, my appearance will probably be the last thing on my mind. Whatever you decide, we support you :)
Traci
~Connor's Mom~
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050204/1/0/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

caroline9
08-27-2004, 01:15 PM
I agree, I think it probably looks big on everyone. I am so sad I missed the coop as I would have liked to get an alpha 7 now that I am eliminating others. I did just look at the loom bandicoot, and while it is not covered in plastic, it is a nice bag, I wonder if it is too big? I love the color of the blue.

Caroline

MorganMom
08-27-2004, 01:42 PM
BTW, the Alpha 7 isn't covered in vinyl, but does have a plastic-y covering on the fabric (at least my Blue Choco does). The fabric is def. laminated or something...I have already had DS spill some juice on it and the juice ran right off.

jasabo
08-27-2004, 01:50 PM
I have the red A7 and it's just canvas - no laminate covering. Definitely different from the Mothership and it's vinyl covering. However, my A7 has done well in the 4 or 5 months I've been using it. I've had to wipe off a few things, and it cleans up well. Certainly not as good as the MS of course.

I did hear they were redesiging the A7, but I thought someone said they weren't adding any new fabrics. I could be wrong though.

ShaniB123
08-27-2004, 06:23 PM
I am also petite and have ruled out the MS because it looks so large and silly on me. Even store clerks, who should want to sell me a MS, have told me the MS looks too big on me. I agree with you that it seems more practical than the T&L, though. I guess it's that quetsion of style versus functionality again.

First due in CA in October

firsttimemommy
08-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Caroline,

If you want the Alpha 7 still at the co-op price, just log onto babybags (or join if you're not a member) and email me (I'm the list owner) - the retailer still has some that I'm sure she wouldn't mind selling ;)

Ronda
Mommy to 2 sweeties!
Jenna Leigh 1/03 and Jake 4/04

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you." - Winnie the Pooh

kitmama
08-28-2004, 02:37 AM
I'm 5' 3" and I carry a MS in blue chocolate. Often, though, I'll hang it on the stroller or put it in the stroller basket. Or it's sitting on the floor in the restaurant/friend's house/waiting room/wherever. I have received compliments on it from a few people when I was carrying it, though, so I guess I don't look too silly.

I just love how I can keep it packed with everything I might need for all day, so I can grab it and go and not have to worry if I'm out longer than anticipated.

Teehee, just had to go get it and look in the mirror. Yes, it's a big bag! But I still think it doesn't look too ridiculous on me- it's remarkably like the messenger style bookbags a lot of college kids use (except it's baby blue and coated in vinyl, of course!) An adjustable strap would go a long way toward making it more wearable for shorter mamas, though.

pixelprincess
08-30-2004, 02:05 AM
Another petite commiserator at 5' 2"! I returned my Indigo mothership that I had obtained for an awesome price as I felt engulfed by the bag! Yep, the straps make the bag seem larger. I did get an Alpha7 which is a great size for me. It does fit a ton more than you'd think it would. Only wish the exterior pockets weren't as snug! Oooh, have you checked out the Kecci's? Not vinyl, but very cute and roomy.

If you stick around here and you'll end up with more than one bag. LOL.

mlewis
08-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Okay, I'm freaking out a little bit about the size of that MS! I ordered a chocolate cord, and haven't received it yet, but I'm only 5 foot also. The good news is that I didn't order this bag for every day use, but for an upcoming trip to France, but STILL! I had no idea it was going to be so big.

LisaRowe
08-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi,

I have the Vera Bradley and I like it, but I wish I had gone with the MS. At 8 weeks old, we bring the ready cans of formula, plus bottles (1 for each feeding), at least 2 changes of clothing, several diapers, the small (not the smallest) container of wipes (Huggies 60 disposable 60 count -- a must), binkies, bibs, spit up cloth, receiving blanket....and that's just for a short trip, like to Cosco or BJ's for diapers. We've only been on one long drive (more than 3 hours) and we packed more stuff. So you can see that the MS really is not that big... You can always buy a second bag for your 30 minute trips...

Hope this helps....

caroline9
09-01-2004, 11:45 AM
There is no doubt I *could* use the MS size,(cloth diapers, snacks, books, etc.) but honsetly I tend to use backpacks for big trips as I need my hands free. I absolutely love the patterns of the MS though, I think if I weren't 5 feet tall I would be mroe inclined to get it for that vinyl covering alone! Who knows, if/when I have another I may just get one despite my size, but for now I think I can handle a smaller bag! I also keep everything I don't need in my car. (I change DD in the car). I *think* an Alpha 7 (Rhonda I jsut emailed you!) or bandicoot may do the trick for now...I sure hope so. Maybe you all are right, I will end up with more than one bag by the time it's all over!

Caroline