PDA

View Full Version : Using a shopping cart cover

kristenk
08-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Okay, I'm feeling a little dense here. I have a cart cover from sewcuteboutique and I can't really figure out the right way to use the strap. I've used the cover once on a restaurant highchair, and I ended up trying to route the cover's strap around the back of the highchair. That didn't work, so I used the straps from the restaurant high chair itself (ick). I'm pretty sure that I'm just not "getting" it. Can someone explain, perhaps in simple sentences using words with less than 6 letters :), how to strap DD into high chairs and shopping carts? (Oh, and how in the world do I use the pillow???)

Sheepishly,
Kristen

edited for grammar (who knows what else I missed!)

papal
08-26-2004, 11:46 PM
let me try and explain.. here is a super primitive diagram.
There are two holes at the back of the cover, you thread the belt through that and the shopping cart/high chair. Baby is then seated, and you fasten belt around his/her tummy. We put the pillow behind dd's back.
Some highchairs are impossible to use the darn belt with.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12055.jpg

kristenk
08-27-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks! I love the diagram! :) So what do you do when you can't use the belt with a particular highchair?

jendalymd
08-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Hi.
I have the same sewcuteboutique cover. Sometimes I don't get the belt actually attached to the shopping cart because either a) I can't due to an advertisement card being in the way on the back of the seat or b) I'm just lazy. My DS has never tried to climb out and I always have a hand on the cover. He loves sitting in it and is too busy looking around and flirting with strangers to think about climbing out.

Also, one time, I moved him sleeping from the car seat to the cover and I just placed him horizontally in it with the pillow under his head on one side, so he was lying lengthwise and his legs were on the other side. He slept the entire time, very snuggly in the cover and I did not try to put the straps on.

I really love my cover. It's great. I've even ordered 3 more for gifts. The only thing that I wish was that it could fold up smaller. Or maybe if the strap had 2 buckle parts so it would be easier to attach it to the cart without having to re-thread it through the holes.

cheers,
Jennifer
mom to a squirmy 12 month old boy

kristenk
08-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks for your reply! DH and I used it in a highchair today at lunch. I *still* couldn't get the sewcuteboutique strap to work. Bleah. I sort of think that the strap needs to be longer so I have more room to work with a variety of highchairs, etc. Like, it would have worked today if I had several more inches to use. Maybe I'll try to find a longer strap and just use that with it. Oh, and I definitely agree about the folding. I can't remember what to do to get it as folded as it was when it was sent to me - and I thought it looked pretty big, then! As an aside, DD looks so cute sitting in it!

gcampbell72
08-28-2004, 02:14 AM
I have found it very difficult to "threadi" the belt around the bar of the shopping cart with a squirmy baby. To make things MUCH easier, I just keep a small carbiner (metal clip you can find at REI or Home Depot) clipped to the belt and I use that to attach to the shopping cart. To better explain.........I first place the cart cover in the cart and buckle my son in. Then, I reach behind the cover and use the caribiner to hook the belt to the cart. I'm hoping this is making some sense. It really has made my cart cover much more convenient!

Cathy
mom to Owen, 10/17/03