PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bag with LOTS of compartments...

chicagojo
09-04-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm not the world's most organized person and although I am always prepared with Purell, wipes, band aids, and about 20 other items in my diaper bag, most of the time it is so disorganized in there that I can't find these items when I need them. Does anyone know of a bag that has lots and lots of compartments where I could stow all these things so I can easily find them? Ideally I'd like to spend under $100 but would go over for the "perfect" bag. TIA...

sarasmom
09-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Have you looked at the Skip Hop? It has 2 zippered pouches,2 smaller pouches on the front, 1 large pocket on the back, 1 cell phone pocket, and 1 bottle/sippy cup holder. Its the best I've had. I almost forgot it also has 2 pockets on the inside for wipes and diapers. Ands it's around $50.

SARA'S MOM

priscilla73
09-04-2004, 07:22 PM
What style are you looking for? Backpack, messenger, over the shoulder? Any particular color that you like? And what do you typically carry so that we can get an idea of what size you need?

Priscilla

chicagojo
09-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Any style is fine - I don't really have any preference. As for color, probably something relatively conservative, in the black/grey family (so DH will be willing to carry it too). What I typically carry (and you will see why I need so many compartments): Diapers (4-6), changing pad, wipes, burp cloths (2), spare bib (DD drools/spits up a lot), 1-2 bottles or sippy cups, change of clothes for baby, 1-2 small toys, Desitin, Purell, Handi-wipes, water bottle (for me), digital camera, wallet, checkbook, cell phone, palm pilot, sunglasses, keys, smallish cosmetic bag (full of lotion, lip gloss, bandaids etc.), empty ziploc bags (for dirty diapers, dirty clothes, etc.) and probably a few other things that I'm just not thinking of right now. The 2 bags I have right now (Kecci Daddybag and Coach Mercer Baby Tote) just don't have enough separate compartments to keep all those things straight. Plus, the Coach bag is pretty much bursting at the seams by the time I get all that stuff in there, which sort of defeats the purpose of having this sleek, professional-looking bag. I know there has to be some bag out there that can do the job - I just haven't been able to find it yet...

chicagojo
09-04-2004, 10:23 PM
I like the Skip Hop, but it looks like it's on the smallish side. How much stuff are you (or anyone else out there) able to fit in there?

sadie427
09-04-2004, 11:23 PM
It's not specifically a diaper bag, but take a look at the Ellington Bag "in flight tote." I carry it as a work bag now, but it works great as a diaper bag too. I have the red microfiber one, I got it at ebags. It has three main compartments, one with pen holders, zippered pockets etc. for mom stuff; two water bottle mesh pockets inside the main compartment; two side snap pockets for sunglasses, small toys, etc; two front zip double pockets too. It looks remarkably tailored for all the pockets, and is washable. I paid around 60, it's on sale this weekend on ebags for 54, and you can go thru ebates as well and save a little more.

http://www.ebags.com/ellington/in_flight_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=18684

lmariana
09-05-2004, 12:31 AM
I don't find the Skip Hop to be small, it's definitely more of a medium sized bag. It doesn't have a lot of depth to it, but that's never been an issue, in my experience although it does bother some.

I can fit...
4 diapers (size 4)
Big pack of wipes (40 ct)
2 changes of clothes
formula container
bottle
water bottle
blanket
assorted small baby stuff (tylenol, teething tablets, snacks, toys, book, etc)
assorted mommy stuff (wallet, lip glosses, powder, cell phone, small planner, large hand lotion, etc)
digital camera/ipod
changing pad (included)

Although the main compartment doesn't look very big, the other pockets (zippered and exterior) can really pack a lot. You also have the cell holder and mesh bottle holder outside for the bag, so it really leaves the main compartment open for large baby stuff.

Hope this helps!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

ktdid74
09-05-2004, 09:33 AM
it's not an "official" diaper bag but the T2 has tons of little pockets and storage areas. If you get the extra middle divider added, that's even more space! It's a great bag and you could get a customized one for less than $100.

lstef plus2
09-05-2004, 09:48 AM
I agree that you can put more into the Skip Hop then one thinks, but I do find when I overpack, I have trouble getting things neatly out of the main compartment.

Another bag, not necessary a diaper bag, but I use it as one, and it has many compartments is this one:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=13754&mode=full&page=

On the bottom is a zippered section in which I will keep change of clothes or other items I do not necessarily have to get to everytime I open the bag. Main compartment has various zippered sections and pockets for storage.

Or, I seem to stay organized in my Ella Lily sized bag in which I added 6 elastic internal pockets, along with a key ring and paci holder.

Also, I recently saw this bag at Buy Buy Baby, and it seemed to have various internal and external pockets to keep everyhing in is place:

http://www.kecci.com/cgi-bin/TLSstore.cgi?kvar=mommybag

They also make diaper bag version with two external bottle pockets, but I have not seen it in real life yet, I did see the daddy bag voyage, and it was huge, just never got to look inside of it.

Off this top of my head these bags seem to have many sections for baby storeage.

TaChapm
09-05-2004, 11:50 PM
I have a bubblegum bag that I love. It has 6 outside pockets and 6 interior pockets. I pack a ton of stuff and have plenty of room to keep it all organized.
Here is what I pack:
Inside pockets: 5 size 5 diapers
wipes container and 2 disposible changing pads
tylenol, rash cream, benadryl, bandaids, med.syringes
2 sippy cups
extra juice and water bottle
Main Compartment:snacks
2 changes of clothes
travel magna doodle, toy car, play cell phone, 2 books
cosmetic bag with powder and lip gloss
wallet
small planner
Outside Pockets: Antibacterial wipes and gel
keys
sunscreen
I have the large bag but this is what works for me.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

http://lilypie.com/baby2/021110/1/5/1/-6/.png

TaChapm
09-06-2004, 01:17 AM
I just went to bubblegumbags.com and they are closing. All their bags are $30 or less. I have the large A. This is a great deal but you can't customize the bag. She still has some cute stuff in stock though.
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

http://lilypie.com/baby2/021110/1/5/1/-6/.png

chicagojo
09-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I ended up ordering a Skip Hop after bumping into a couple of friends who had them and checking them out IRL. We'll see how it goes...

priscilla73
09-06-2004, 07:48 PM
I have the Fleurville Alpha 7 and it has a lot of compartment for great organizing. Lately, I've been feeling like it's a bit floppy and heavy fully packed. I have 3 kids and seem to be packing more and more.

I just ordered the Ameribag tote from ebags.com because I read on another thread that there are many compartments/pockets for keeping things organized.

I think the Skip Hop is a great choice and if it's not what you anticipated it would be, you can always sell it on Babybags and start over. You really can't go wrong with a Skip Hop, IMO.

Priscilla