PDA

View Full Version : Any car mirror suggestions?

temple
09-04-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm looking for a mirror to put in my Jeep Grand Cherokee so that I can see my 7 mo. old. He is no longer in his infant seat - and his convertable seat is too big for me to see over. Also, his car seat is in the middle of the back seat.

If I buy a mirror to put over the head rest, will I be able to see him since there is no head rest in the middle of the back seat and it would have to be attached off to the side?? What are the best mirrors?

Thanks in advance.

Temple

jasabo
09-04-2004, 07:32 PM
You can't say for sure without actually trying it out. I bought one kind and put them in the car and didn't like them. Bought another kind and they worked great. So I'd suggest just buying one, try it out and save the receipt so you can return it if you don't like it. They're cheap. I think the ones I got were like 12 bucks at BRU. Can't remember the brand.

Lisa - mom to 14 month old twin boys

missliss55
09-05-2004, 11:45 PM
When I had the CHP install my infant seat as well as my roundabout I was told by the officer that a mirror could be dangerous in an accident. As well as any sunshades that have the metal bars on them. His advice to me was to not keep anything in the car that I didn't feel comfortable throwing at DD...I know that is a little extreme but he said that in an accident everything is flying around.

HTH.

Kimberly H
09-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Same as PP - we tried one and it didn't work for us, then the second one was fine.

As for the safety issue, it was either the mirror or turning Mia forward-facing so I could see her in my rearview mirror. The soft mirror whacking her in the head during an accident was the much better choice for us, given the HUGE gain in safety keeping her rear-facing.

junieblee
09-06-2004, 12:29 PM
We bought the "especially for baby" 2 pack from TRU and it was a waste of money! The mirrors kept swiveling on their own own accord, giving us a different view of the foot of the carseat or the side window alternately, never the baby! Plus the suction was pretty weak so they kept detaching from the window. Perhaps you get what you pay for as it was only a few dollars.

8isenough
09-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Hi Temple...was browsing and saw your question and wanted to chime in. I am a CPS tech and it is recommended that parents refrain from using mirrors. They can become projectiles or worse yet stab someone if they were to break in a crash. I know it is tempting to want to see your child, but if you can get away with not using one, then that would be the best. Also keep in mind that all mirrors on the market presently, have not been crash tested. So even if the package says..."safety glass"; "will not break"; "safety tested/approved" etc. etc., they are not. Before I was certified, I used an Elmo mirror for years with the kids. But after becoming certified, I threw the mirror away and never bought another one. My last two kids were screamers the minute I put them into their seats, so I sympathize with you. I really wanted to see what they were doing at all times, but the safety risk was not worth it IMO. Luckily, the screaming ended at 3-5 months of age. :)

pixelprincess
09-07-2004, 01:10 AM
eek. i have loved the big mirror that we have, that I got from BRU. i had no idea that they were dangerous. are they made of "glass"...i thought it was some kind of reflector. isn't it the same as the lamaze mirror?
thnx.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-07-2004, 01:42 PM
>The soft mirror whacking her in the head during an accident
>was the much better choice for us, given the HUGE gain in
>safety keeping her rear-facing.

Kimberly, where did you find a soft mirror? I'd love to have a soft one, all the ones I have seen are hard and rigid, like the Lamaze baby mirror. I was hoping there was one made of flexible mylar out there somewhere, what brand is yours?

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

Kimberly H
09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Karen, ours was a hand-me-down but I'll ask our friends next Sunday at church. It's the only I've seen like it too!

newmominaugust
09-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Just wanted to tell you that your baby is the cutest!!! Love your avatar.

Zynnia
Anthony Joseph 8/14/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050814/3/15/0/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)