PDA

View Full Version : ? about shopping cart cover as a highchair cover

hellokitty
09-06-2004, 11:55 PM
I have a question for those of you with a shopping cart cover. How do you use it as a highchair cover when you go to a restaurant? I ask, b/c I have an unpadded WAHM shopping cart cover, and when I tried to use it as a highchair cover at a restaurant, I realized that I could NOT use the belt that came with my cover. The back of those wooden highchairs at the restaurants do not have a bar or anything in the void btwn the seat of the chair on the, "top" of the back, if that makes any sense. So, there is nothing to brace the belt up against, like when we thread it through the back of the cart when we go shopping. So, I ended up using the cover, but with the nasty belt that was original to the restaurant highchair. I was just wondering if I'm not, "getting it" and there IS a way to use the cover and your own belt with these highchairs? If so, can you explain it to me? I get so icked out, I've been dragging around a portable HC (I wish I would have gotten one that folded down) with us, or else I try to see if the restaurant will let me get away with letting baby sit in the stroller, b/c I don't want to use the yucky belt on my baby (who is touching everything and his hands are always in his mouth!).

Anyways, any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks ladies!

calebsmama03
09-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Hmm. Most chairs I've used do have a space between where the seat and back are, so I just loop it around that. Were there "arms" on the chair that you could have looped it around? Sorry I'm no help. I don't worry about belting him in as much in highchairs these days since he's a bit older...
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

hellokitty
09-07-2004, 01:06 PM
That's weird, maybe it was just the highchair here. The belt for the restaurant highchair was attached UNDERNEATH the seat of the chair, so that's why I was so puzzled about how I was supposed to make my belt work, kwim? There is a space, but it's a BIG space, there is not brace in btwn, and there were arms, but the belt was nowhere long enough for it, even when I extended it all the way. I'll have to try again. Thanks.

twofallbabies
09-07-2004, 01:06 PM
I think it depends on the type of highchair you're trying to use it on. When I make the covers to sell, I make the strap extra long, but adjustable, so it could be looped around the back of the seat, if need be. I think most of the ebay sellers of the WAHM cart covers make them more with carts in mind, and the other "uses" are afterthoughts, but not really thought-out in the design process, if that makes sense.

Jessica, sewing, strollering, candle-loving mama in MD to
Dillon 9/18/98 & Lucas 10/24/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
22+ months...

Enter my weekly FREE CANDLE drawing:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

hellokitty
09-07-2004, 02:39 PM
I did not realize you made covers! Can you post a pic, or email me a pic? Thanks. :)

JennyLynn
09-08-2004, 04:32 PM
I know what you mean - we ate at Perkins this weekend and their chair (besides being nasty, sticky and filthy) had a back with no way to loop my own strap around it. I ended up looping my strap through one of the shopping cart cover's legs, over the front bar of the high chair, and snapped it closed behind DS, so he was strapped to the front of the high chair instead of the back. It worked OK. Incidentally, it took at least 5 minutes for me to get the cart cover on the chair and figure out how to get the strap on, during which DH, other diners, and our waitress stared at me like I was either crazy or stupid. The things we do to keep our kids clean :p

If I had thought to bring it, I would much rather have used our Inglesina Planet hook-on high chair.

Jenny

hellokitty
09-08-2004, 05:44 PM
It's a relief to hear I am not the only one who's this obsessive and having the same problem figuring out how to do this! Lol, the waitresses always star at me when I put the cover on. I am convinced that they never wash those highchairs. Thanks for the tip, maybe next time I will buckle him through the front of the chair.