PDA

View Full Version : Help for mom-to-be!!! Is your digital camera fast?? ISO small one that will capture those "must have" baby/toddler shots.

ctychick
09-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Not sure if I'm on the right board here, but I am looking for a fast, on-the-go camera.

I'm in the market for a compact digital camera that produces great image quality and has a low shutter lag. I realize that no digital camera is perfect, but if you have one that you love, please tell me about it. I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I love, but I'm expecting my first child and want a quality/fast point and shoot to toss in my purse/diaper bag for everyday use. I've been considering the Canon A80, A95 or the Canon S500 Elph. (These are all 4.0 or 5.o mp). I'd love feedback on these or any others that I should consider. I'm almost wondering if I should stick to film for this camera, but I hate to give up the convenience of digital (emailing, processing, etc.) Thanks!!!!
Debbie

slecompte
09-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Definitely go Digital! I have the canon G3, which is great, but not a small camera. However, a girl I work with got the new Sony one that is very thin (great for purse) and is 5 MP. I played with it and it is great--takes pics very quickly and has a large LCD. I would look at this one for sure if I was looking at getting a new one.

I am envious of the Digital Rebel! We looked at those, but...if I get a new one, I want something smaller

Sheila

ctychick
09-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks, Sheila! The Digi Rebel is amazing!!!! I'm slowly learning how to take more creative pictures with it - defintiely more of a hobby/learning tool for me at this point. Some people carry it around with them everyday, but since I live in NYC and walk everywhere, the DRebel is not a good fit for everyday use for me.
Debbie

TonFirst
09-09-2004, 01:54 PM
I just bought a Pentax Optio S4i and I LOVE it! It is teeny tiny - it fits in an Altoids tin - and the shutter delay is minimal.

Shutter delay was the main reason I held off on getting a digital camera - but with the Optio S4i, it hasn't been a problem. I think the cost is about $349, and it is so tiny and weightless that I can carry it in my purse every day. It's a 4 MP camera, and the zoom is impressive.

chicagojo
09-09-2004, 11:00 PM
We have the Sony Cyber-Shot Point & Shoot (DSC-T1). Here are the specs from Sony's website:

1/2.4" 5.0 Megapixel Super HAD™ CCD imager
3X optical lens with 2X digital zoom
2.5" Hybrid LCD monitor
Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® Lens
Ultra compact design allows it to fit right in your pocket

It's super-thin, smaller than a deck of cards, and I love it because it can fit anywhere. I use the speed-burst feature most of the time (unless I really need to use the flash) and at least one of the shots always ends up capturing the moment perfectly. We've been happy with the image quality but this is actually the first digital camera we've owned, so I don't have much to compare to...

ellies mom
09-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Is that the Optio with the 5x zoom? If so I second your suggestion. I didn't end up getting that camera, but it was a serious contender because of the size and zoom.

sarsah
09-11-2004, 10:33 PM
I have a Canon S400 Elph and a Nikon D70 digital SLR (similar to Canon digital rebel). I really like both of them.

The S400 has a pretty slow shutter speed, but so did most of the other small point & shoot digital cameras I looked at before deciding on the S400. It is small and great for keeping in the diaper bag, but no so great for action shots. I find that if I know we're going somewhere that I want to take great pictures, I take the Nikon D70 with me. I use the S400 for times when I either don't want to carry the bulky D70 or for spur of the moment photos.

I find that each of these cameras suit different photo taking needs and I think they are a great pair.

Sarah......mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)

peasprout
09-13-2004, 01:11 AM
I have the Pentax Optio S(3 megapixels) and it was always super super slow. I hated it. I always missed good shots and now it doesn't even work anymore. We thought it was the battery so we spent $30 on a new one only to find that it's the camera. My friend recently got a Sony (don't know what model but it has a huge lcd) and it's really fast. I didn't know digital cameras could be that fast! Anyway, I wish I had bought a Sony instead.
JP

ctychick
09-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks so much for all the great tips. Someone on another board recommended the Sony W1. After looking up some reviews and comments on this camera, I've learned that it is definitely one of the faster one's out there. It is also very compact and takes great pictures. Of course it has some other drawbacks, but I've come to learn that every digital camera has something negative about it. So, I'm thinking I might go with the Sony W1. I won't order it for a couple of weeks, but when I'll get it I'll let you guys know what I think.

BTW - This is my first post on this board. Everyone here is so nice - thanks again for your help!!!

Debbie