PDA

View Full Version : Okay ladies, go grab the diaper bag and open it up...m

MamaKath
09-13-2004, 11:49 PM
What is inside? Tell us what bag you are using, and what you are carrying? How is it working for you? Are you looking to change?

I am going to try to set this up with little age categories. I know sometimes it helps me to see what other folks in the "next age up" group are using diaper bag wise and what they carry. :-)

Have fun!

ETA- Kind of waffled on the categories, lol, find where you seem to fit, and check in! ;-) :-) :P

MamaKath
09-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Tell us about your bag/s

MamaKath
09-13-2004, 11:51 PM
What are you carrying when you get out?

MamaKath
09-13-2004, 11:52 PM
What do you have in the bag?

MamaKath
09-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Starting solids? What is in your bag?

MamaKath
09-13-2004, 11:54 PM
How about now? Have you changed the gear you are carrying?

MamaKath
09-13-2004, 11:57 PM
What bag do you have, what is in it? :-)

DeborahM
09-14-2004, 12:07 AM
I have a 8 wk old and a 2 yr old toddler. If I'm just running out with my newborn, I usually will carry my WW Katie tote. B/C I have a Mac TT I have divided up everyone's stuff between 2 bags - an Alpha 7 for my toddler and the WW tote for my infant -- although I have a mothership and will use that if I'm not planning to use the double stroller. My stuff usually goes into the Alpha 7 (wallet, cell phone, coupon book, Fl. wristlet with lipstick/chapsticks).

For her I carry:
* 3 - 6 size 2 diapers
* 1 - 2 burp cloths
* wipes
* extra onesie, pants, and socks, sometimes a hat
* vinyl bag with baby tylenol, purell, hand lotion, baby nail clippers
* nasal syringe bulb

Deborah
Mom to Thomas and baby Rachel

DeborahM
09-14-2004, 12:13 AM
I have 2 yr old toddler and an 8 wk old infant. B/C I have a Mac TT I have divided up everyone's stuff between 2 bags - an Alpha 7 for my toddler and a WW tote for my infant -- although I have a mothership and will use that if I'm not planning to use the double stroller. My stuff usually goes into the Alpha 7 (wallet, cell phone, coupon book, Fl. wristlet with lipstick/chapsticks).

I find that most of the room is taken up with food for him - sippy cups and snacks.

For my toddler I carry:
* 3 size 5 diapers
* wipes
* vinyl bag with baby tylenol, purell, hand lotion, baby nail clippers (same bag for both)
* crayons
* small notebook for coloring
* 2-3 small toys
* Snacktrap
* quart-sized ziplock that I keep his snack in (1-2 snack-size bags of goldfish, graham crackers, box of raisins, etc.)
* 1-2 sippy cups (milk, water)
* other toy of the day (i.e. small magnadoodle)
* sometimes extra shirt

Deborah
Mom to Thomas (6/02) and brand-new baby Rachel (7/16)

Jeanmick
09-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Cool topic! I have two kids, ages 3 years and 19 months. I decided to post here since I carry the bag primarily for my youngest. Here's what I put in my Loom Bandicoot and Tommy Hilfiger diaper tote bag (I've been switching between the two lately):

For my 19 month old:
Changing pad
A couple of (sometimes three) Size 4 Pamper cruiser diapers
Huggies Wipes Holder (love their new design)
Snacktrap full of cheerios
small toy (for those fussy diaper changes)
Sippy cup

For my three year old:
A couple of Epi-pens
A bottle of Benedryl w/ spoon
Small snack (i.e., Bag of Oatmeal bites/fruit snack)

For both kids:
Travel size Wet ones
Small "first-aid" kit (in a snacksize Ziploc)

For me:
Wallet
Cell Phone
Palm Pilot
Keys
Lipstick
Compact
Breath mints
Checkbook

I don't carry as much as I used to. For changes in clothing, I figure that I'll just go back to the mini-van where I've got an diaper bag filled for emergencies. If I do go out for a longer period of time where I know we'll be eating out, I'll carry a small lunch bag to put in the stroller's storage area with fruit and vegetables, extra snacks, bib, spoon and the like.

Thanks for posting the topic! Looking forward to reading the other responses.

Edited for grammar

twofallbabies
09-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Ok, well my younger DS will be 2 at Halloween, so I'm putting him in two categories, 12-24mos, and 2+ years.

Right now I'm using my Navy LE LT, and really liking it. DEFINITELY worth the $24! I currently have 3 size 4 Luvs, a Huggies wipes pack, a small Germ-X bottle, Balmex, 2 clean outfits, a ziploc of baby goldfish crackers, and a makeup clutch with some of my stuff in it. All that stuff is in the main compartment. In the front zip panel I have a small coin purse/wallet, my cell phone and sunglasses, chapstick, a pen and small spiral notebook, and my keys. I have my water bottle in one side pocket, and his cup (a Munchkin straw bottle) in the other.

I have pics of it from a week or two again, packed almost as much as it is right now, you can see them here if you'd like: http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/twofallbabies/Bags/Navy%20LE%20LT/

Edited to add, there's also two binkies in one of the inside mesh pockets. I think you can see those in the pics, too.

Jessica, sewing, strollering, candle-loving mama in MD to
Dillon 9/18/98 & Lucas 10/24/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
22+ months...

Enter my weekly FREE CANDLE drawing:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

twofallbabies
09-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Ok, well my younger DS will be 2 at Halloween, so I'm putting him in two categories, 1-2yrs, and 2+ years.

Right now I'm using my Navy LE LT, and really liking it. DEFINITELY worth the $24! I currently have 3 size 4 Luvs, a Huggies wipes pack, a small Germ-X bottle, Balmex, 2 clean outfits, 2 binkies, a ziploc of baby goldfish crackers, and a makeup clutch with some of my stuff in it. All that stuff is in the main compartment. In the front zip panel I have a small coin purse/wallet, my cell phone and sunglasses, chapstick, a pen and small spiral notebook, and my keys. I have my water bottle in one side pocket, and his cup (a Munchkin straw bottle) in the other.

I have pics of it from a week or two again, packed almost as much as it is right now, you can see them here if you'd like: http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/twofallbabies/Bags/Navy%20LE%20LT/

Jessica, sewing, strollering, candle-loving mama in MD to
Dillon 9/18/98 & Lucas 10/24/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
22+ months...

Enter my weekly FREE CANDLE drawing:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

MamaKath
09-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Okay my "little one" is 2.5, my older one is 5. I have been switching bags ALOT lately! I am finding that if it is just me and ds I use either the Little Tripper, Ameribag tote or Baby Bag. Inside it is (contents may vary a bit for each bag):
Diapers and wipes (3-4)
change of clothes
my wallet
cosmetic case with lipstick, tweezer, pad, mascara, pen
checkbook
two board books
2-4 small toys
changing pad (usually a recieving blanket)
sunscreen
talc (to get the sand off at the park) ;-)
lotion
purell
diaper rash cream
I think that is about it. Oh and water for me, sippy of water for ds.

My take the two kids and entertain both of them bags are the Jansport Backpack (just a regular backpack but with cupholder pockets on both sides outside), a large tote, or my Lands End Do it All (black, bag I bought when I had ds, barely have used it, just realized it is perfect for all the toys, etc for the ages now and pulled it back out. Full circle I guess, lol). Most of the time these would be for dinner out, day at the mall, church, etc. I had so much stuff when we ate out the other night, that my dh suggested we start using a small suitcase on wheels, lol. I bring lots of quiet occupying toys, and stuff that is easily shared in case we run into friends, have a longer than a typical wait someplace, etc. We live in a rural area, and many outings are all day long. Here is what I might add to the above contents-
snacks for 2 (animal crackers, graham crackers, gummies, juice boxes, water bottles, etc)
toys (lots of small ones, usually 2-4 per child)
crayons
paper
books
magnets and board, woodkins, or other quiet yet occupying toy

I have been eyeing lots of other bags, lol, thanks to this board but think my days in the gear sections are numbered to begin with, so am trying to abstain. ;-)

jk3
09-14-2004, 05:30 PM
I've definitely pared down somewhat. Currently, my diaper bag is packed with:

3 size 4 Huggies Diapers
Wipe Container
Small Balmex tube
1 Sippy Cup
2 mini snack containers: one with veggie crackers, one with fruit snacks
1 Bumkins bib
Cell phone
My wristlet
1 farm animal board book
2 plastic spoons
A pair of socks for me (for Gymboree!)

I think that's it! When I go out, I usually add in one jar of baby food or a yogurt.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

hardysmom
09-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Fun post!

I have a recently potty-trained 2.5 yr old son and 5.5 mo old twin girls. I push a Mountain Buggy Urban Double, which has NO basket access when the seats are both reclined (newborn twins) so I've become a very light packer. I breastfeed, which helps, I suppose.

Generally, I have one of those black nylon bags the formula companies give you at the hospital in the car loaded with extra stuff just-in-case...

I'm usually carrying either my Loom Marsupial or one of those "bucket bags" with the pockets on the outside which I can hang with a swizzler from my stroller

Anyway, for my 3 under 3 I have--

3 size 2 pampers cruisers
1 pair spare underwear for DS
1 spare pair of pj shorts, just in case of accident
2 spare onesies for the babies
1 drool bib
1 travel-sized huggies wipe case
1 changing pad (if I am using a bag w/o one)
1 extra small cloth diaper burp cloth
1 travel sized sunscreen
Sippy Cup for DS
2-3 matchbox cars for DS
1 sucker for emergencies
infant motrin drops
for me-- small pocketbok, cell phone, loom clutch with make-up

Thats it.
Stephanie

tina-t
09-14-2004, 06:25 PM
I am either carrying my Loom marsupial or Kecci Shanghai bag with the following items inside (for my 15 month old ds):

3 size 3 diapers
small case of huggies wipes
2 board books
2 small toys
small tube of desitin
a change of clothes for ds
small container of cheerios
changing pad
sippy cup
pampers bib
small container of antibacterial gel
small washcloth

For me:
granola bar
wallet
keys

Kimberly H
09-14-2004, 08:07 PM
I have a 1-week old Ameribag tote in red. I'm a pretty heavy packer, even for short trips.

Inside are:
- 2 Pull-ups or size 4 diapers
- wipes in a qt size freezer bag
- take 'n toss sippee with animal crackers inside
- disposable camera
- receiving blanket
- Darling Diapers washie (her lovie)
- my wallet
- Rolaids, lip gloss, and pink grapefruit Mentos (from China - yum!)
- small vent brush with baby scrunchies around the handle
- small animals board book
- mini "Bear in the Big Blue House" board book (Chik-Fil-A kids meal prize)
- small Magnadoodle
- "BBBH" memory cards (we count them, name them, the guys play poker with her with them... ::sigh::)
- Corolle Mini Calin doll

One end pocket holds her Playtex straw cup, the other has my keys, and the back pocket holds the changing pad and stink-bags. ;)

MorganMom
09-15-2004, 01:04 AM
I have a 26 mos. old DS and another on the way (edd Christmasish), but I'm a fanatic about packing light. DS never naps when we're out and about so all my day trips are at most 2-3 hrs long. Very occasionally we might go to my MIL's or my mom's and then I'll pack more but here's what's usually in my bag:

Lately I've been carrying my Blue Chocolate Alpha 7 (love it, cept it's kinda floppy :P ) alot with the following:

1-2 size 3 Huggies dipes
Changing pad that came with the A7
sippy cup or small bottle of water
DS's dino toys
bag of crackers/snacks
travel case of wipes (the one that came w/the A7)
2-3 disposable bibs
couple of snack bars/protein bars for PG cravings

my wallet
small cosmetic bag w/lipstick, nail file, powder
cell phone

When DS was smaller I might have added a recieving blanket and an extra onsie in case he spit up. I BF so I didn't have to worry about extra bottles and formula...hopefully I"ll be BFing this time around too.

Chelsey333
09-15-2004, 03:54 PM
I am using the Alpha 7 daily but supplement with the Mothership and Skip Hop. I love the Alpha 7. It is black cord and very functional for me. The only drawback about the cord is that it seems to pick up lint or other stuff sometimes. Not a big ordeal, but just a bit of lint like stuff gets attached to it. Also, I love the side pockets even though they are skinny. They fit my sippy cups, but tightly (playtex). I like it to be tight so that things don't fall out of the bag when I am wearing it backpack style and squat down. I have had other bags that my cell phone has fallen out when squatting and nearly hit my son.

This is what I carry:
lots of bibs (very spitty baby)
burp cloth
baby sweater
change of clothes for baby
receiving blanket
binky
rattle
baggies for tossing diapers or dirty clothes
wipes case
3 size 3 diapers

for my 2 yr old:
sippy
2 size 5 diapers
some matchbox cars
silverware
disposable bib and placemat
snack
I also leave a bag in the car with a sweatshirt and change of clothes for my 2 year old and extra supplies/clothes for my 4 mos. old.

writeleigh
09-15-2004, 11:08 PM
I like the age category breakdown.
Almost eleven months here.

Right now, I have an Agelo Isaac 17x13x6. I attached a pic of the bag in a alightly different pattern/fabric combo than mine. I am in the process of transitioning to a smaller bag now that DS is almost one (and what better excuse for having to purchase another bag????).

Here's what I carry:
Changing pad
2 plastic disposal bags
2 diapers
wipes
rolled up receiving blanket
rolled up emergency outfit
Purell
sm travel pack of tissues
1 bottle usually; on very rare occasions 2
my wallet-purse (it's an all-in-one so I can quickly pullit out if I don't want to take the whole diaper bag with me)
Anti-bac wipes
travel size sunscreen

At the last minute I throw in:
Gerber puff snacks
sippy cup

Generally, Liam just eats whatever we're eating, so I don't take separate food other than a snack food to tide him over.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13134.gif

icunurse
09-16-2004, 12:35 PM
DS is about 7 1/2 months old. If it is just a typical outing of a few hours or so, I pack.....
* 4 diapers (can never be too safe)
* travel wipes
* change of clothes (fingers crossed - have never had to use)
* burp cloth
* 1 -2 bottles
* formula dispenser
* jar of food/spoon
* sample size sunscreen, diaper cream, aquaphor
* antibacterial hand clothes
* for me= wallet, cell phone, brush, chapstick

Traci
~Connor's Mom~

Marisa6826
09-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Sophie is 21m old. I am her confessed Sherpa. I have a Vera Bradley bag that currently has:

4-5 dipes
pack of wipes
Bounty travel roll of paper towels
Travel pack of Clorox wipes
Old film-type camera (it's tiny and was pretty new when we got our digital. I felt guilty tossing it in a drawer)
Two small packs of Hefty travel bags (2 qt bags for wet clothes/poopy dipes)
Press on placemat thingies (these are useless - she rips them right off)
Couple of Boynton books
Travel Magnadoodle
One or two small plastic bath animals
4-5 4oz. box apple juices
Mini raisin boxes
Ziploc of pretzels
Ziploc of Nilla Wafers
Take and Toss bowl of Cheerios
Small bottle of Gatorade for Mommy
Small bottle of water (for both of us)
Pack of blueberry Pop Tarts for Mommy ;)
Small empty sippy for restaurants
Umbrella
Two spare outfits
Extra socks
Medicine bag (includes Ipecac, Motrin, Tylenol, Mommy's Tylenol, Rolaids, forehead thermometer, bandaids and Neosporin)
Spare house key and car key

We usually take 3-4 bottles of diluted juice with us so that I don't have to mix it while I'm out and about. It's especially useful when driving. I can just reach behind me and grab a fresh bot of juice rather than pulling over.

Lately Sophie's been much better about keeping her shoes on, but for the majority of the summer, her sneaks lived in the dipe bag until we found a need to put them on ;).

As far as my stuff goes, I have a little Coach bag that I keep with me. Either in the shopping cart or in the basket under the stroller.

I've ordered the Kiwi E3v2 with the Pannier Bags for when Amelia gets here. I plan on using one Pannier for each kid. I don't know how I'm going to work getting stuff from the house to the Panniers, since the stroller will live most of its life in the car.

Haven't figured out the logistics yet, but I love my dipe bag!

http://www.quiltsunlimited.com/images/products/180_33.jpg

-m

smiliedds
09-16-2004, 02:35 PM
My DS is 3 and 1/2mo old now. I carry a Lesportsac deluxe everyday bag for short outings, less than 3 hours, with:

2 size 2 diapers
5-6 wipes in ziplock bag
1 burp cloth
1 receiving blanket (used as a change pad)
1 hat
1 pair of socks
1 bib
1 set of change of cloths

For 3 hours or more outings, we are always out with our car. I have a baby bjorn clamshell (in the car) that has more of the same supplies.

SteelerFan
09-16-2004, 06:33 PM
I have a Mothership--2 older dds and a 5 1/2 week old son...here's what is in mine...on the outside pockets--left has my cell phone, right has some lip gloss, starbuck's breath mints (too many trips to that place!), Tums and some Tylenol. Back pocket has some coupons and a pen; Inside--inside pocket has scented diaper sacks (for those places that a doo doo smell won't do!) 3 Baby books from the Dr.s for all of my kids, the unused dirty sack a couple of bags of fruity snacks for my 4 yo and a Zone Bar for when I'm out and need to eat asap; in the middle--my wallet, a burp cloth, 2 bibs, the formula dispenser, a onesie, pair of socks, 1 outfit, pjs; inside side pocket--carries the bottle of water if I'm out and the out is for the changing pad. The 2 front gathered pockets have 6 diapers in one side and the other has wipes and some Aveeno butt cream! See why a Mothership is the only one that'll do? Love that bag!!! Wow, that's a lot of stuff now that I'm looking at it!

Amy

2 DDs
DS-8/9/04 ;)

2lovingkids
09-16-2004, 07:26 PM
I just recently purchased a Timi & Leslie backpack (wanda print) and adore it! I needed something really functional for airline travel (by myself) with a 1 year old and 3 year old. It easily fits an outfit for each child, changing pad, it has a pocket in the front which I could keep my wallet in for easy access, the inside pockets hold all the sippy cups I need plus more pockets for diapers and wipes. There is zipper pocket inside where I keep all my extras for the kids (nail clippers, medicine, etc.). There was even enough room for toys. My favorite feature... the zipper on the side which allows me to get into the bag without going through the top, therefore being able to access things on the bottom without unloading the whole bag.

Can't say enough great things about this bag. A little on the spendy side but worth every penny if you will use it alot. It came from www.emmyandally.com compliments of my sister.

larissal
09-17-2004, 01:45 AM
Just turned 6 months here :))
We have gone through a few bags but the recent favorite is MommyBag by Kecci.

I carry every day:
Changing pad that came with the bag
3-4 diapers and disposal bags
wipe container
hand sanitarizer
outfit for emergencies (usually a simple one)
my camera and cell phone
my wallet-purse
some tissue

If we are going for a few hours, I might take
a receiving blanket (to cover up while nursing)
a ziplock bag with spoon, baby food and disposable bib

parkersmama
09-17-2004, 10:01 AM
I have a 7yo, a 4yo, and a 16mo. Obviously, the diaper bag is mostly for my babe! :) I'm currently using a Chester diaper tote.

Here's the contents:

2-3 CDs (the trimmest I have clean) or size 3 disposables
Huggies travel wipes box
sippy cup
small doll
wooden rattle
play telephone
board book
bib
Wet-ones antibacterial wipes
pocket knife with scissors (you wouldn't believe how handy those are!)
trial size diaper cream
plastic bags for CDs to reside in once they are dirty
toys for older kids: crayons, paper, flash cards, small electronic games from Burger King, wicky stix
sometimes a ziplok with snacks: goldfish, veggie crackers, etc.
Note: I do NOT carry a changing pad...they take up too much room and I never use them anyway.

LaurelC
09-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Okay, my DD is now almost 4 months old.

In my Kecci right now is:

5 diapers, size 1
travel pack of wipes
1 rattle/teething toy
2 cloth diapers (for burp cloths)
2 changes of clothes
1 bib
1 travel size purell
1 tube of Butt Paste

Emmas Mom
09-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Just for MamaKath. ;)

I have a Red LE LT & a new Red Kecci Shanghai...since that's the new one I'm using it lately. It's so pretty, albeit a little floppier than my LT.

~3 size 3 dipes
~travel pack of wipes
~disposable changing pad & one of those Sassy "deodorized" disposable bags
~travel baby cornstarch
~infants Tylenol/acetaminophen
~one or two small toys, usually chosen before we leave
~change of clothes
~small snack bowl (Sassy) w/snack like Gerber fruit or veggie puffs
~baby nail clippers & comb
~zip lock bag w/a disposable bib, disposable place mat & take & toss spoon (thanks Pricilla73)
~a clear/see through cosmetics bag for me with a compact, lipstick, chapstick, gum, wallet, nail file, coupons, etc.
~burp cloth (I still find these so handy)

In one outside pocket I usually put a bottle or sippy cup & my cell phone, keys & sunglasses go in the other one.

saschalicks
09-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Great topic.

DS will be 3 months next week. I carry a Skip*Hop, but am pining for Timi & Leslie in Lina. So, here's what I carry:

back pocket:
3 size 1 diapers
changing pad
roll of bags for picking up dog poop, but use them for dirty diapers

cell pocket contains my cell phone

bottle pocket has a water bottle

front two pockets:
one has my le sport sac little purse with personal items
other pocket has two empty Dr. Brown's bottles

front zipper pocket:
bandaids
neosporin
pacifier
Mylocon (Target version)
travel purell

back zipper pocket:
two wrist rattles
rattle

inside two pockets:
one has travel wipes case
other has formula dispenser

big pocket:
case with travel bottles of diaper cream and vaseline
extra outfit (sometimes two)
cloth diaper (burp cloth)
bib
thin blanket

depending on where we are going sometimes I add more bottles in the big pocket and don't put the blanket in there but just take one along

I carry a lot, I know, but I can't give up any of it. Sometimes I think my Skip*Hop isn't big enough for me. Saving for the T&L though...

jasmine
09-19-2004, 05:15 AM
DS is 3 and I have the following in my bag:

I have been mainly using my Sally Spicer Messenger bag.

For DS:
1 pair of shorts
1 short sleeve t-shirt
1 gerber training pants
1 standard size water bottle
1 cloth diaper - for wiping up any messes
wipes in a ziploc bag
travel size kleenex
snacks
2 small cars/ crayons
small purell and packets of sanitizing wipes

For me:
cell phone
small wallet
sunglasses
keys
small cosmetic bag for eyedrops, chapstick, etc.

kitmama
09-19-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm using a blue chocolate Fleurville Mothership. I'm typically packed to last most of the day, since I frequently end up out and about for longer than I thought I'd be. It's nice not having to worry if plans change at the last minute. It's a ton of stuff though! "Be prepared" right? . . .
The MS is packed with:

- about 5 PF cloth diapers, or I might have a fitted or pocket diaper or 2 and some PFs
- a couple fleece liners
- 1 extra diaper cover
- 2 disposable diapers JIC
- diaper rash cream
- disposable wipes
- an extra snappi (to fasten PFs)
- changing pad and ditty bag
- travel-size sunscreen
- an emergency can of formula (we had a situation once where I couldn't BF for hours, - and poor ds was starving- it was terrible- I always have the emergency formula since then, though I guess since he eats solids now too it's not really a big deal. . .)
- a bottle and nipple (see above)
- a nursing cover-up
- 2 jars baby food
- a spoon
- a bib
- a small container of cheerios, a teething cookie
- a favorite board book
- one other small toy (I change this up)
- sippy cup of water
- extra onesie or T-shirt and a pair of socks
For me:
- cell phone
- wallet
- small pouch with lipstick, hairties, emergency tampons, safety pins
- pen
- small notepad

Sometimes I pack fewer diapers, and sometimes I throw in my hotsling. The diaper bag mostly stays in the car when we are running errands, as I won't need it to change a diaper or feed ds in the short time we're in the store (PO, bank, whatever). If we go to the park, mall, studio (work), a restaurant, friend's house, or wherever we might be for several hours then I have the bag with me. It works out very well.

Saartje
09-20-2004, 01:17 AM
I use my Alpha 7 most often, with my Mothership when we'll be out for quite a while or when we want to carry only one bag for the three of us (DH, me, and DS). On the rare occasions we take the car somewhere and plan to stay all day, we also pack the bag we were given at the hospital with spare diapers. (We CD, so they take up a lot of space.)

What we pack:

Diapers (usually sugarpeas); wipes (also cloth): as many as needed for the time we'll be out
Spare diaper cover
Snappi
A bottle of water (refilled as needed; used to wet the wipes or for us to drink)
A bottle of milk on the rare occasions I pump
Changing pad
Wet bag
Spare pacifier
Sometimes a spare sling (DH and I switch off, and have different preferences)
A toy if DS is active
A burp cloth/emergency diaper (a prefold -- if we use up all the other diapers and have to put him in this one, it's time to head home!)
Spare onesie or outfit
My knitting (usually)

I also tend to slip my Franklin Covery binder (which I use for everything, including using it as a wallet) in the back pocket of my Alpha 7.