PDA

View Full Version : Kecci vs Petunia

Cricket
09-16-2004, 01:48 PM
okay I have never seen any of these bags in person.

Obviously the Petunia is more expensive.

I know they have different closures. PPB looks sturdier. Kecci says it is machine washable

also, I saw Kecci has zipper problems. Where is the zipper? Do you really need to use it if you have that flap?

supercalifragilous
09-16-2004, 03:41 PM
I think if you do a search for "Kecci" there are lots of comparison posts and I think I even posted a comparison to it and PPB. I'll do one here but I think the one I posted back then is better b/c I actually had both of them side by side. I'm typing here by memory, but right now I'm only using my Kecci. I also have the original PPB design, not the new recent ones that just came out.

PRICE:
Overall, I think Kecci is a great buy for $37 (I can justify 4 Keccis for the price of one PPB... but wait, PPB raised their prices recently, didn't they??)

CARE INSTRUCTIONS:
*Kecci is machine washable like you said.
*I washed my PPB and the "sturdy" stabilizer turned to dust and now it is as floppy as any regular drawstring bag. I have yet to hear back from anyone at PPB about this and I e-mailed them about 3 weeks ago!

INTERIOR POCKETS:
*Kecci has a total of 5 pockets (none elasticized): one smaller mommypocket along the front of the bag, two big ones along the back, and two side tall bottle pockets.
*PPB has two elasticized side tall bottle pockets and one small Velcro'd mommypocket along the back.

EXTERIOR COMPARTMENTS:
*PPB's fold-out changing pad does provide a front "compartment" where you can store stuff (diapers, diaper case, mommy stuff). It's not zippered - the pad is connected on the side with zippers so it forms that pocket and if you look at the PPB pictures you'll see they also have two elasticized pockets there along the actual front of the bag.
*Kecci doesn't have this but makes up for it with a pocket in the back for the straps. If you don't want to wear it as a backpack, they detach from the bottom and they tuck into their zippered "pocket" which is actually the whole back of the bag. I use my Kecci like a backpack and use the pocket (although it won't zipper since the straps are in the way) for papers and my wallet.

SIDE POCKETS:
*On the sides of both bags, they both have bottle pockets on each side, about the same size/height.
*Kecci's is elasticized. It's not lined either but the fabric seems thicker (maybe that's why it's machine washable?). I load it with my keys & sippy and it's still going great and shows no signs of stretching out. I love that it's elasticized so my keys don't fall out. I can actually put my keys in with the sippy on top and it still won't fall out b/c of the elastic.
*PPB is not elasticized. I kept putting DD's sippy in the side compartment and it's stretched out. The fabric there is unlined and thinner than Kecci, but again that may be the difference in the fabrics. Wait... I just noticed online that the new PPBs seem to have taller side pockets. I don't know if I'd like that or not... my keys would get lost down there... but the added depth would offer more security since the fabric gets stretched out... I don't know how many times my bag has tipped over in the car or on the ground and my stuff has gone slipping out of the side pockets (sippy, cell phone, etc).

FRONT CLOSURES:
*Kecci has a magnetic snap. I haven't found it to be THAT strong so I always always close the zipper.
*The closure on PPB is a big fat Velcro strip - I actually prefer this.

CHANGING PAD:
*Kecci has a removable changing pad with the coordinating fabric & vinyl. It is the same size as the PPB one, just detachable. I find it small so I don't use it but it is cushiony. I could stuff it in the back of the bag where the backpack straps go but I just leave it out altogether since I use a disposable changing pad when out and about. I like that it's detachable and machine washable, though, so if I ever did use it, I could wash it separately.
*PPB's is attached. Too short unless you have a newborn. Never use it. Hate that it's attached so if I DID want to use it I'd have to put my whole bag on the germy table (yes, I'm a germophobe). THEN I'd have to dry-clean it, thereby ruining my bag (BTDT). At least it makes for a front exterior pocket. That's about all it's good for.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
*Kecci customer service is very prompt. Yes, some of the zippers broke and Reid @ Kecci told me that they received a defective lot but on the exchange bags he is checking each one personally to make sure they are OK. Yes, it's a little inconvenient, but at least they'll replace it. They used to just send out replacements if you e-mailed a picture of your broken zipper but now you have to mail it in - probably b/c a lot of people took advantage of that. I don't blame them. :P
*PPB... IME, PPB CS just sucks. Like I said before, I e-mailed them 3 weeks ago and nary a reply! And I also found them to be snobby - I asked them about their fabrics and they said they are "exclusively milled for them so you won't find them anywhere." Liar liar pants on fire--I guess they've never heard of eBay... I actually found my beloved BamBam fabric online and had Kim (Whimsical Wears) custom make me a backpack for a LOT cheaper than my PPB! You can find the Sunset Dragon, Avocado, Dynamite, Butterfly, Cucumber, Spring, Shrimp roll fabrics (to name a few off the top of my head) online as well, you just have to search. Some of them those brocades also come in more colors!

STRAPS:
*Kecci is kinda like a cross between PPB and Alpha 7 in design. The backpack straps are like the Alpha 7 - it makes it a lot easier to carry and since they attach at the top midline of the bag they don't fall off my shoulders like my PPB. The top "purse" strap is also detachable. ALL Kecci straps are in the coordinating fabric.
*PPB straps are basic black - all are fully detachable, even the backpack straps (not attached at the top like Kecci). I wear my PPB messenger style and one thing I've noticed with time is that the slick straps tend to "give" meaning the buckle slips as I'm wearing it and I have to readjust/shorten it all the time or it'll go down to my thighs!
*Both Kecci and PPB have have the same-length straps -- they're very long (great for busty & long-torso people).

EXTERIOR FABRICS:
*Kecci doesn't have as many gorgeous palette of fabrics to choose from, IMO. I hear they're adding more, especially for the holidays. The actual fabric seems thicker and sturdier. Haven't had a snagging problem here. I don't think the fabrics are silk at all - more of a rayon/polyester blend? I don't know too much about fabric content but it just seems thicker & sturdier.
*PPB has a lovely offering of fabrics but again, they're thinner and dry clean only. Because the fabric is delicate and some of the designs are silk blends or 100% silk, some people (including myself) have had snagging problems. A lot of people selling them used on eBay mention "minor" snagging issues. Some of my bigger snags have been more like "runs" i.e. on pantyhose/nylon. Either from someone rubbing up against it, a zipper or ring snagging it, or sharp Velcro snagging it... who knows! It's not THAT noticeable, but if you spend that much $$ on a bag, YOU NOTICE.

INTERIOR LINING:
*Kecci's interior is vinyl or nylon - I'm not sure b/c it's very pliable. When you first get it you have to air it out a bit. But it is obviously waterproof. Kecci's lining also goes all the way to the interior/main compartment zipper, so the "top" interior of the bag is lined.
*PPB's is "water-resistant." That's really laughable b/c DD's sippy leaked in my PPB and it went all the way through! Also, their lining only covers the interior bucket of the bag, not the zippered top part too (like Kecci) so the zippered top part is a little floppy. Not really an issue, though, unless your bag tips over and has wet things in it.

Geez, by the sounds of it, it looks like I'm really biased on Kecci! Maybe b/c it's the one I use primarily (now that the rains have started again) and maybe also b/c the lack of response from PPB's customer service has irritated me. IMO, for the price one pays for PPB, you are entitled to expect more, both out of the bag AND from customer service. Don't get me wrong - there's a HUGE price difference and you can tell by looking at the products that Kecci is indeed less expensive (just like you would tell a dry-cleanable dress shirt from a machine wash one) but for the price, I LOVE my Kecci. After dry cleaning my PPB, I gotta say I'm thoroughly disappointed, especially when they don't stand behind their products.

Not to throw a whole wrench in your choices, but have you also seen Fiona Lang bags? They're really beautiful, $50 @ TJ Maxx (only come in pink or orange). If you do a search, you'll see Latia posted TONS of pics. There are two different designs - one like PPB and one that's more messenger bag/briefcase/backpack-like (hard to explain, but it's the one Latia has).

Cricket
09-16-2004, 03:47 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am soooooooo pleased you typed that all up for me. It really really really is helping me.

Cricket
09-16-2004, 03:47 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am soooooooo pleased you typed that all up for me. It really really really is helping me.

Cricket
09-16-2004, 03:58 PM
should I wait to see if they do another coop before buying one from their site? I like the red one best.

Emmas Mom
09-17-2004, 04:05 PM
The Kecci zipper is along the top of the bag, but the flap does close over it. I actually never zipper my bag so haven't had any problems with it, though I've only had it for a couple weeks. It just doesn't seem to me like I need to zipper it. Maybe someone else can comment on that too though. :)

supercalifragilous
09-17-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry - you're right EmmasMom - I totally didn't address the zipper question.

Compared to other high-end purses with the magnetic snaps, Kecci's is really shallow, which is why I close the zipper. EmmasMom is right - you could totally not zip it, it's just my personal preference.

Both the Kecci and PPB have the zipper at the top with the flap that comes over it - Kecci has the magnetic snap and PPB has the big fat Velcro strip.

With the PPB, I feel confident in the Velcro b/c it's so fat (I don't know about the new designs) so sometimes I don't bother closing the zipper.

ETA: Forgot to add the co-op info: It's really ongoing... I've got to e-mail Tracy for an update. The original co-op didn't include the red & chartreuse (they were out of stock at the time) so Tracy extended the co-op until they came back in. I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I find anything out. :7