PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide on a diaper bag!

linsei
09-17-2004, 12:32 AM
I have been reading all your posts about diaper bags and I noticed that you all have like a zillion bags. I am not quite ready for a complete diaper bag wardrobe, but who knows... maybe there's hope for me yet! I am willing to take the first step!

I currently have an Eddie Bauer mini metro that I hate. I want to move into a nicer bag, but the more posts I read, the more overwhelmed I feel. Here are the things I am looking for in a bag and other misc things to consider...

**lies flatter (the EB bag is like carrying a box on a strap-it is constantly slipping off my shoulder) and a little larger, but not huge

**looks less like a diaper bag/more stylish

**ok to use everyday/any day (I only want 1 diaper bag at this time)

**somewhat lightweight/easy to carry

**enough space to neatly carry and access stuff (I wouldn't complain if I had a tad more room to work with, but I don't want to carry a suitcase either)
Here is what I currently carry:
about 5-6 diapers
1 container Pampers wipes
1 blanket
1 changing pad
2 burp cloths
1-2 outfits
1-2 socks
1-2 bibs
1-2 small toys/teethers
travel sized Purel equivalent
baby comb
diaper rash cream
2 disposable breast pads

**I currently carry a purse along with the diaper bag. I have considered ditching the purse and just carrying my wallet, keys, lipstick, mints, cell, etc. in the diaper bag.

**I am willing to spend $ on the right bag.

**I have a PP P3 and I would use the diaper bag with the stroller (Either hanging or in the basket. My EB is so hard to get into the basket because it is not flat.)

**DS is almost 5 months old

Also, is there somewhere I can go to see the bags IRL? Thank you!!!

Linda

cleo27
09-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Hi Linda,

I am kind of new to this board and only have a few bags. Up until recently, I have been using the bag from the hospital, lol. I recently purchased a small Timbuk2 based on the recommendations on this board. I carry basically the same items that you do, but instead of a regular changing pad, I carry a few disposable ones. This bag is very nice and well-made and holds a lot. It is not really huge either and it lies kind of flat (not boxy or anything). It is nice looking too (kind of sporty) and you can choose your own colors to suit your own style (I got mine in black/purple/black). I really like it! I also think that after it serves it's purpose as a diaper bag, it will make a really great carry-on bag for travel.

I am in the process of ordering an Alpha 7 in black corduroy, so I don't know yet how that one is, but based on all I have read I think I will like it too. I think it has more pockets than the T2. For now, that is all I am going to get. I think I would like to get a Lands End Little tripper at some point.

I am not an expert, but just wanted to let you know that I like the T2 for the same amount of stuff that you carry.

Good luck! It can be overwhelming reading about so many bags!

Cleo

lmariana
09-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Welcome Linda!

I think a great bag to start with would be a Skip Hop. It would fit what you want to carry, would fit perfectly on your P3, is lightweight, hangs flat on your body, and comes it lots of fun colors. :) A few complaints some people have is that it doesn't stand on its own very easily and is a little narrow, neither of which have ever bothered me. I also love attaching this bag to the shopping carts at the grocery store and Target.

I would also recommend the Fleurville Alpha 7 as a great started bag! You'll love the organization.

To avoid the "box on a strap" feel, I'd stay away from the Loom Marsupial. It's an awesome bag, but it is more formed.

Are there any other bags you're curious about? I've tried out a bunch! I hope you get some good advice here.

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

linsei
09-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi Cleo,

Thanks for your input. I checked out timbuk2.com. Which style did you choose? Is your bag specifically a diaper bag (I didn't see any "diaper bags" on the site)?

I have already been considering an Alpha 7, based on what I have read on the board. I do like that it has lots of pockets.

Linda

linsei
09-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Hi Mariana,

I have also considered a Skip Hop. I have read great things about it here. From pictures that I have seen, it looks a little casual. Is it canvas? Would it be ok to use it when we're a little more dressed up? I am not talking formal dressing up, but if I wear a dress or dress pants would it look ok?

I should have mentioned the bags that I am debating...

Alpha 7 (will it fit on P3 stroller or in the basket?)

Mothership (don't know if this would be too big?)

Bandicoot (is the bag itself really heavy? I think I like that it has the purse that can attach)

Skip Hop (too casual?)

Timbuk2 (I'll have to research this one)

Thanks for your help!

Linda

robmab719
09-17-2004, 05:30 PM
I have owned all of those bags you are debating. My current favorite is the Bandicoot. Although some have reported it as heavy, I don't find it to be heavy at all. I have used it almost exclusively since I received it (though it's currently being replaced by Loom due to a problem with my strap, so I'm without it right now). I use the detachable purse all the time and find it to be a perfect size.

The Alpha 7 is slightly bigger than the Bandicoot, but not much. It doesn't have as much "structure" and is a little more masculine looking, IMO. I ended up selling mine because it just wasn't my style. I'm not really a backpack gal and the Alpha was very back-pack-y!

The Mothership is a big bag, but it's my second favorite of the ones you listed. When you need a lot of space, it's a great bag. Stylish and fun, plus the vinyl lining keeps it clean no matter where you take it. Inside pockets/organization are the best I've seen on any diaper bag.

Of the ones you are considering, the Skip Hop is probably my least favorite. I really tried to love that bag (I even tried two different colors), but found that the style just wasn't really me. I also hated that it wouldn't stand up on its own and that I was always digging to the bottom for what I needed.

All of those bags would work fine on a P3. I just hang the shoulder straps across both handles of my Zippy and I've never had a problem.

Hope that helps.

lmariana
09-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah, if I wear dressing a little nicer than my normal, casual self, I wouldn't take the Skip Hop. The Timbuk2 would probably be too casual for you too.

I'd give the Bandicoot or Alpha 7 a shot! I haven't seen the Bandicoot in person yet, but based on Robyn's review, I really do want one! Loom is one of those bags that goes well with casual or nicer attire. If I were going somewhere really dressed up, I'd take my Timi and Leslie...that is until I get a new Petunia PIcklebottom! (As if I ever go anywhere dressed up though...)

The Mothership is an awesome, awesome bag, and I loved mine. It was just too big for my current needs. If you are going to be out all-day though, you would love having it!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

linsei
09-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Hi Robyn,

Which color did you get on your Bandicoot? My only concern is that I would have to worry about some of the colors clashing with my clothing. Do you find that it is a problem? Do you use the purse as a purse? What type of material is the Bandicoot? Is it easy to keep organized?

It just occurred to me that DH might not want to carry a Bandicoot ;). I guess he could use the EB if I got the Bandicoot. It doesn't seem like the Alpha 7 would be a problem for him though, right?

Thanks for your input!

Linda

2lovingkids
09-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Whew!! It's a lot to think about. Since you are looking for a little fashion as well, have you checked out the Sally Spicer bags? My sister has the backpack and she just loves, loves, loves it. They also have a diaper tote. You can check out their selection at www.sallyspicer.com. They have a list of online and local retailers on their site so you can compare prices and perhaps see one locally.

audys
09-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Mariana,

I bought a diaper backpack made by Chester handbags on your rec - GREAT bag - thank you! It's definitely one to consider and is just a little larger than a Bandicoot. It's my current favorite and looks decent too. I didn't like the Fleurville look and love Petunias but can't get over the "dry clean"...

Audrey, mother to Graham born Feb, 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050210/3/15/1/+10/.png (http://lilypie.com)

firsttimemommy
09-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Check them out at www.2redhens.com

the babybags group is having a co-op on them as we speak, so if you like what you see, then come on over to the group and save some $$$$ LOL! More info in the files section of the group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/

Some great red hens photos at:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/welcome?i=EeANWbFy5cOGzhw&notag=1&sm=1&sl=1

They are stylish and fun - not boring at all! And the whole roost size would be perfect for your stuff! Lots of fabrics to pick from ;)

Ronda
Proud Mommy to Jenna Leigh 1/03 and Jake 4/04

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you" ~ Winnie the Pooh

linsei
09-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Hi Ronda,

Hmmm... those are really cute. I am just not sure that shabby chic is my style. I guess I would prefer something with more classic/traditional styling so that I could use it everyday. Thanks for your help!

Linda

kjsb
09-18-2004, 09:52 PM
I bought a Skip Hop based on the reviews here and love it! I carry about the same amount as you (I also carry 3 bottles and a formula dispenser) and have no problem fitting everything (I sometimes use a larger bag for all day trips though). My DH told me recently that it is his favorite bag.

I recently bought and then returned a Bandicoot. It was just too small, but it definitely was stylish. The backpack straps took up too much of the space. I also did not think I would use the attached clutch. I kind of wanted something that could go over my shoulder.

Good luck! It's fun trying to find the right bag!

linsei
09-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the advice. I think I have it narrowed down and I really want to see the Alpha 7 and Bandicoot IRL. I think seeing it in person will help me decide which one I want. Looking at the website pictures can be so deceiving!

Linda