PDA

View Full Version : Huge Petunia Pickle Bottom (PPB) disappointment! (sorry, long rant)

supercalifragilous
09-22-2004, 01:49 PM
I am so disappointed in PPB customer service. I finally e-mailed them on Sept 10 about my bag turning floppy after dry cleaning (basically the stabilizer turned to dust). They FINALLY wrote back yesterday (Sept 21) and just maintain innocence and make no offers to replace it or make it right. As much $$$$ as one pays for one of their bags, I expected more!

This dry cleaner establishment got the city's "Best of the Best" award many years running and everybody I know absolutely raves about their service and entrust wedding gowns to him as well. He has a stellar reputation so I doubt it's something he did and I did include that in my e-mail.

If I knew this was going to be the case, I would have just bought 5 Keccis for the price of 1 PPB and just changed them out! At least Kecci will replace their $37 bag with a brand spankin' new one!!

Here's Korie's (PPB customer service) reply:

Hi there,
So sorry you are experiencing some sort of issue with your diaper bag. Unfortunately, I do not have an explanation for what has occurred. Our product has been extensively tested and we have never had any occurrence such as you describe. Our interfacing (structure) is upholstery grade and among the highest quality that can be found in the textile industry.

Per our testing and that of the textile manufacturer, it can withstand the dry cleaning process.

I wish there was more I could say. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Korie Fergeson
Petunia Pickle Bottom Corp

"Some sort of issue"?????? Excuse me???? How about you just replace my bag with a new one like Kecci would? Or at the very least say you're going to look into the problem so no one else experiences this after dry cleaning?

Furthermore, in talking to some other PPB c/s broad on the phone, she said "You can send it in so we can take look at it, but it's at your own expense and there's no guarantee we can do anything about it." ;( OK, HOW ABOUT REPLACING IT???? Just make SOME kind of effort, PLEASE! I did pay lots of $$$ for this bag! Their stance/attitude is "Well, I dunno what to tell ya..."

I'm going to cross-post this on the babybags group, just as a warning that if you buy PPB bags, it's obviously ALL at your own expense, and be careful about dry cleaning it! I truly hope no one else has this problem and I'm crossing my fingers that this is just a fluke with my bag. x(

Sorry for the rant, guys. Thanks for listening! :(

JacksMommy
09-22-2004, 02:51 PM
So sorry about your bad experience. I would be upset too! I never get it why some businesses don't understand that taking responsbility for these kinds of occurences and replacing a defective product earns them much more money in the long run in customer loyalty and word-of-mouth. If PPB had replaced your bag, you might have come here with a glowing report about their hassle-free customer service, gaining them that many more customers.

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02

ShaniB123
09-22-2004, 03:39 PM
How terrible that PPB won't stand by their product. Someone should refer the company to this message board so they see how much bad publicity their bad c/s generates.

First due in CA in October

jasabo
09-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Yikes!! I was thinking about getting a PPB bag in the co-op and am now wondering if I should skip it. Has anyone else experienced that problem? Although, even if no one has, the c/s part really bugs me. What do these people think? That you've got some elaborate scam figured out about how to get free bags out of them?!? Geez! Apparently they don't understand how much customer service can effect future business...from you and from people you tell about this.

Can you try calling and talking to someone higher up? Tell them that you know LOTS of "bag addicts" who are paying attention to this :)

Lisa - mom to 15 month old twin boys

jk3
09-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I love my PPB backpack + haven't had any problems BUT that c/s story ticks me off to no end. It's a nice enough backpack but there are many other options. I think the OP should inform the c/s about these boards + customer loyalty. That's very upsetting. The mark-up on diaper bags is ridiculous so if they replaced the bag they wouldn't lose much money but would gain more customers, I suspect.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

ShaniB123
09-22-2004, 05:53 PM
I totally agree! I ordered a PPB bag (which hasn't arrived yet), and now I regret my decision.

zen_bliss
09-22-2004, 06:23 PM
that stinks! i recommend that someone who is thinking of buying a PP and decides not to because of this thread send them a note along with this link (and mention that the board has 10K+ registered members, as well as a book). individual customer service responses, good and bad, are heard by many more than the complaining customer! shrugging shoulders with a 'tough cookies for you' attitude is not a way to generate brand loyalty.

how long ago did you buy it? if you bought it with a credit card within a certain time frame (30 days, 90 days, a year?), it may have Visa warranty protection.

Jeanmick
09-22-2004, 11:44 PM
How unreasonable! Especially considering the insane amount they charge for their bags. Loom, Kecci, Sally Spicer and other companies have taken complaints seriously and replaced bags if needed. It's unfortunate that PPB can't see that blowing off a customer's concerns will keep other potential customers from buying PPB. I like knowing that a company will stand by their products and not blow me off.

That's too bad...I think I'll take my business elsewhere. Thank you for letting us know.

khakismom
09-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Thank you for posting this, and I am so sorry that they won't help you resolve the issue.

I wasn't planning on getting a bag in the near future, but now based on this, I never will give them my business. That's deplorable!

lilye13
09-23-2004, 01:41 PM
That is just outrageous. In this day and age of companies with excellent customer satifaction policys..Hanna, Land's End, LL Bean, even Target lets you return in 90 days especially if 'defective'.......of course I was just going to post a question about one since I happened at a local resale shop for $10 and was wondering how to clean it- it's the black brocade one and just a has a light stain on the inside flap-could be water. I wondered if anyone had used the at home dry cleaner, like Dryel, on it. I am now totally nervous about sending it to the dry cleaner. Anyone else have this problem?

You know, between the money you spent=invested on the bag and on the dry cleaner they really should have extended some gesture to show that they not only stand behind they products but also stand behind their customers.....I'm sorry you had this problem and glad you posted to let us know. Who knows what will happen..mayeb they will read these. Did you by any chance go back to where you purchased it and see what they say?

supercalifragilous
09-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Wow - I can't believe the support I'm getting here! (and @ babybags) I was going over my rant and regretting that I flew waaayy off the handle but you guys really validated me - thanks! DH was at "the severity of my reaction" and said I was going overboard (if he only remembered how much I spent on that bag!). He can tell I'm really getting upset when I start calling women "broads"... :P I do apologize if I offended anyone by my rudeness, though!

A kind mommy @ babybags did also recommend that I contact them with BBB clout behind me. I'm 99% certain they know about BBB and I'm sure they check here already so I didn't see the point. It shouldn't take that to "shake them up" IMO. And they've changed the design of the bag so it's probably not plausible for them to replace it anyway.

Besides, their stance on more than one occasion has been that they're "good enough, pretty enough, and gosh-darnit, celebrities like them" ;) so they can afford this negative publicity. OTOH, I guess think this just reinforces what a better company Kecci is - their own President logged on to BBB to address the zipper problem along with his written "wilingness" to correct the problem. http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=14094&mode=full&page=2

Negative publicity for PPB wasn't my intent (I know, it's hard to tell) - I just didn't want anyone else to go through what I did and be forewarned about it. I actually did enjoy carrying around my bag when it had some structure to it and received lots of compliments on it - I just don't know why I've had such a bad experience with their CS - but I guess should have known from talking to them in the past - when they maintained that their fabrics were "exclusively milled for them," (found it online), when they went off about their stuff on eBay and nazii'd them out (OK, I can understand that point)http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=14060&mesg_id=14459&page=, and now this.

OK, okay, no more PPB bashing from me. But thanks for all your support, ladies!

Buzymommy5
09-23-2004, 10:28 PM
wasn't gonna bash either, but i think i need to point this out because apparantly, all the popularity is starting to get to ppb's head! i received a very similar response when addressing one of my bags a couple of months ago and didn't think much about it until i read this post and after i received news today on my preorder from early august.

i have two of the new bags on backorder since last month and i called the store to check on the status. they are completely upset and thinking about pulling their business with ppb. apparantly, they weren't told that there was a window from aug to october as to when they would receive their bags. since they weren't aware of this new policy, they have promised all their customers within a months time to receive bags. this company then mentioned to the ppb rep that many of her customers are upset and turning to fleurville, & the rep said to her, "good, let them go to fleurville." the rep also said that if the company doesn't like it (the wait) they can stop ordering from them. she said her rep had a non chalant attitude and that unfortunately, they're at the mercy of ppb.

i can't believe the customer service they're providing. they say they make siphisticated bags...i think it's about time they get an attitude to match!

chris

firsttimemommy
09-24-2004, 09:14 AM
That is so sad - they've just gotten too big for their britches I guess! All the more reason to support more of the "little guys" and the WAHM's who produce excellent quality products and who really have their heart and soul behind their businesses.

Ronda
Proud Mommy to Jenna Leigh 1/03 and Jake 4/04

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you" ~ Winnie the Pooh

supercalifragilous
09-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Gasp! What kind of rep says "Good, let them go (another company)!"??? I'm ashamed to admit that I feel a little better that I'm not the only one with this bad CS experience now, so thanks for posting.

FWIW, I don't think you're bashing, I think you're just stating what happened. Maybe PPB assumes that people aren't going to talk about these negative things but the more open we seem to be, these bad CS stories are seeming to get less isolated... Unfortunately, maybe they *are* a buyer-beware company after all... I was hoping for the sake of others that mine was an isolated incident. It's really a shame b/c they do make beautiful bags.

I totally agree with Ronda - I wanted a Bam Bam but I found that "exclusively milled fabric" only and I had Kim @ Whimsical Wears make one CUSTOM and it's beautiful! And I also feel much better about supporting a WAHM who appreciates my business (especially one who is top-notch, like Kim). :)

pixelprincess
09-24-2004, 05:18 PM
sorry about your PPB disappointment. I have been loving my Kecci and have gotten looks of envy from other mommys. A couple of PPB owners thought my Red Kecci was a PPB...and that it looked better. I didn't have the heart to tell them it was a less expensive bag. any word on the Kecci coop yet? my hairdresser loved my Kecci and I might have to get one for her.

btw, what style bag did Kim make for you with the "milled fabric"? i'd like to get something a bit different too.

thnx.

Emmas Mom
09-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Interesting. Count me as one who will never buy nor recommend them. For the price you pay I'd expect a heck of a lot more. I'll take my business to more customer oriented companies.

Thanks for the info on them.

Sampaguita
09-24-2004, 07:42 PM
I popped into one of the baby boutiques in town to buy a gift & saw that they're carrying PPB. I mentioned all the bru-haha and the lousy customer service & the owner said that she wasn't surprised. She said she's dealt with them for about 7 yrs and they have pretty much always had the attitude of "Oh - fine...tell them to buy another brand." She too is frustrated about the delivery time and had just this morning gotten off the phone with them about all her irked customers regarding their pre-orders.

I think because of the celebrity status of the bags, PPB is not too concerned about the "regular" consumer. After all, celebs probably order one in every pattern. Too bad. Word travels fast amongst the everyday mom and celebs will move on to the next gotta-have-it diaper bag.

She also told me that she recently had to sign a contract that does not allow her to display or place PPBs on the floor. They either have to place on a table/shelf or hang somewhere. If a PPB big-shot were to come in, the store's PPB contract will be immediately revoked.

She has a charming display that uses the floor but she can't use it for the PPBs. Too big for their britches...too good for the floor...don't care about their customers...? Too snotty for my money.

ShaniB123
09-24-2004, 07:49 PM
I shop at a high-end baby store in LA, and the owners of the store have also told me that PPB has terrible service, lousy delivery time, and that they're difficult to deal with.

bluhimmy
09-24-2004, 08:15 PM
"I wanted a Bam Bam but I found that "exclusively milled fabric" only and I had Kim @ Whimsical Wears make one CUSTOM and it's beautiful!"

Can you post a picture of the bag Kim made for you? I would love to see it.

TIA!

caridura
09-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Yikes!!! The more I read, the more I am convinced that I will NEVER give PPB my business. That's horrible.

PPB won't be the "it" diaper bag among celebs forever. And when celebs move on to something hotter, PPB won't have any loyal customers left over since they apparently don't give a damn about any of them!