PDA

View Full Version : ? of moms of boys

hellokitty
09-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Just curious. When it comes to diaper bags/totes, if you have just a boy(s), so you have a tendancy to get something that is gender neutral or boyish in color/print? Or, do you just don't care and get something girly? I really love the girly colors/prints (if I ever have a girl, she will get so much girly stuff!), but with having a baby boy I don't know how appropriate it is for me to carry around a really girly diaper bag, kwim? Anyways, maybe I am just weird, but I was wondering if any of you have this dilemma. Plus, my DH refuses to carry around a girly bag. I wanted one of the cuter skip hop colors, but ended up with red, b/c my DH said, "if you get a grily color, I'm not going to carry it."

It stinks, it's nowhere as fun to shop for a boy compared to a girl. I'm already bummed that everytime I try to buy clothes for joshua the selection sucks, it's the same stuff over and over again. I'm having the same issue with diaper bags.

angelfan25
09-27-2004, 02:03 PM
I have one DS and another coming in November (through adoption) and I have a mixture of bags. I have a red A7, a blue choc dinatelli A7, a tropical leaf MS (which I LOVE), a white cord dinatelli MS, and a pretty black floral Bumble bag. I don't think it's a problem to have a pretty/girly bag since it's your bag KWIM? Your a girl - get a girly bag!

I hope to have a girl someday too so I can buy all those pink clothes!!

Shelly
Tucker Ryan 3/19/04
Matched and awaiting the arrival of another baby boy 11/23/04!!

newmomto1
09-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Hi,
Here's my personal opinion:
The diaper bag is something that YOU will carry..not your baby. So, IMO it's an accessory for you...just like a purse, etc.
So, get what you like!! :-)
Now, as far as your DH is concerned...that's another story. I can TOTALLY understand a man not wanting to carry a girly bag! Maybe you can have a bag that's "his" bag...keep it stocked for when he'll need to be carrying it...the rest of the time use your own "girly" bag.
I tend to be boring in the bag department...all mine are black...so it really hasn't been an issue. But..even among my black bags...there are some that my husband does not like to carry because he thinks they look too much like a purse. So, no big deal...he uses one of the backpacks & everyone's happy :-)

jasabo
09-27-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm all about girly bags. Before I had two boys, I never really cared for pinks and girly-type prints. Now that all I buy is primary colors and truck prints, I've developed a love of all things girly :) I figure the diaper bag is for me, not the boys. It's one of the few baby things that I can buy for me, if that makes any sense.

All of my custom bags (Ella, WW) are girly prints. I have a red A7, but only because I didn't like the other prints. If they had a fun girly print, I'd buy it.

As for what dh will carry, that's not an issue with us as my dh rarely, if ever, goes out with the boys without me. Now that I think about it, what's up with that?!? LOL! Although, if he gave me a hard time about the print, I'd just think of that as an excuse to go bag shopping to buy a bag just for him :)

Anyway, I say buy what you like.

Lisa - mom to 15 month old twin boys

saschalicks
09-27-2004, 02:39 PM
I had the same concern, but in the end just like the other ladies, I felt the bag is for me. I bought a skip*hop in the light blue, but that's b/c I loved that color. DH would carry that, and has. I also bought a WW in a girly print and he won't carry that, and that's fine. I plan on getting a T&L in Lina, and I know that it's girly, but the truth is that if DH was going out w/our DS I'd pack the Skip*Hop for him, b/c I don't want him to feel like he "has" to carry the girly ones.

IMO get what YOU want!

saschalicks
09-27-2004, 02:39 PM
remove duplicate

kathsmom
09-27-2004, 02:41 PM
I have one DS (who just turned 2 years old!) and all my diaper bags are gender neutral. I wouldn't mind having a girly bag to carry around if DS is with me all the time. I just have a hard time with the idea of leaving him in the church nursery with a girly bag!LOL! I know, it's kind of weird, but whenever I look at new diaper bags, I always look at the ones that are gender neutral or boyish.

Chelsey333
09-27-2004, 02:50 PM
I buy for me and not my boys. That being said, my favorite color is light blue. Right now, my bags are either blue or black. I have one striped bag for the summer. I am also thinking of getting a PPB bag in red. So my color scheme is pretty boring, but I only pick what I like without thinking of being gender friendly.

mlewis
09-27-2004, 04:45 PM
I think buy what you want with maybe one neutral bag for when DH is going it alone! I have a 2redhens bag, 3 WW bags, and a Lina T&L bag on the way that I alone will carry, but we have a navy blue Eddie Bauer day bag that DH will carry when he's alone.

hellokitty
09-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks for you opinions gals. I have been trying to justify getting a WW through the co-op. I love the girly prints of course, keep trying to find something gender neutral and keep thinking that it's kind of boring, kwim? So, you are right. It IS my bag, I am a purse-aholic to begin with, long before my joshua showed up (my hallway closet is scary, if you open it, a whole bunch of purses fall out!). So, I guess I am going through withdrawl of pretty purses, lol. I have found it difficult to carry a purse and diaper bag, so pretty much the diaper bag IS my purse, and if I run errands w/o baby, I end up using a very small purse with just my wallet, keys and cell.

As for the idea of giving DH a diaper bag of his own. He kind of has one of his own. I got one of the LE little trippers that were on clearance at lands end (the old style). It's navy and it's a nice bag, and functional, but IMO it's kind of ugly, very masculine looking! Plus, I hate that it now has metal hardware instead of the plastic (my LE DIA is plastic, the metal makes a big clunk sound everytime I lay the bag down on our HW floor! DH occasionally takes joshua out on a car ride when he's tuning his car (he has a subaru WRX he is constantly tweaking with to make it go faster or something), so I ended up packing the little tripper with some bare basics and he keeps that in the car (along with the scarlet & grey combi soho in his trunk that HE picked out, b/c they are the colors of our alma mater, the ohio state buckeyes, lol).

As someone else did mention though, for the most part, my DH never really goes out with the baby alone, so I am almost always there. Well, I guess I'm going to get a girly WW. :) Now, if I could ever decide on a combo of prints!!!! There are so many pretty ones. :) Lol, and I've got a beautiful black toile tote from ebay that will be here in a few days too. I figure black toile is gender neutral, right? As in, ppl won't start asking me if joshua's a girl.

jamsmu
09-27-2004, 07:29 PM
I agree. I all summer I carried a pastel pink and other pastel colors bag, with my monogram. I have a friend who has her DS' name monogrammed on her diaper bag and I think thats strange (IMO). She's not named "Joey" and she carries it. I consider a diaper bag to be my purse for the next however many years.

Cricket
09-27-2004, 08:16 PM
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

GET THE BACK YOU YOU YOU WANT

it is so hard to carry the bag and a purse so this will be your purse most of the time. So get the one that fits you. Not the baby.

rottiemom
09-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Don't worry Mags, people will still ask if Joshua's a girl regardless of what kind of bag you're carrying :).

ITA with every other poster. Buy the bag that you want. My everyday diaper bag is a fabulous black toile Liz Claiborne that I found in the clearance bin for 17$ The bag that goes to daycare with my little guy is fuzzy leopard. I also have a big tote festooned with sequinned cocktails that doubles as a quickie diaper bag. If I'm the one carrying it the bag's gotta be something that I like. My husband, bless him, will carry any of them but he usually carries the baby & I wrangle the bag.

As for the lack of cuuuuuuute clothing for boys just think of how much money you're saving. And stay away from the Reality Layette forum here on the BBB. My budget was much happier before I found out about Gymboree & Hanna Anderssen. Still not spending nearly as muchas I would have had my little guy been a little gal but there's definitely lack of self control worthy boy's stuff out there.

Happy shopping!

Nina

hellokitty
09-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Lol, luckily I am not too crazy about our gymboree here and I'm too cheap to get hanna anderson, lol. I've also got a sling/carrier addiction and have quite an impressive stroller collection too, so I can understand the amt of $ that can be spent on our babies!!! The good thing is that I usually find things on clearance. I'm ordering a WW for sure, maybe two, b/c I can't make up my mind!

tina-t
09-29-2004, 02:50 AM
Again, like other ladies said, go for what you want. I buy my diaper bags based on what I want. My fav. color is blue and most of my diaper bags are blue. I did buy a pink mothership but dh REFUSED to carry that one so I ended up selling it. Otherwise, dh pretty much carries the diaper bags without complaining.

Sia Anderson
09-29-2004, 03:56 PM
I have one and one girl so I can almost get away with anything. My son is older then my daughter, but I still need to bring sooooo much stuff for the both of them. My solution was that I chose and choose bags that I like. I’m wearing it, not them… I will tell you that I don’t like bags that say girl or boy, people can hopefully tell by the cute clothing they have on.

I just for that Petunia Manhattan shoulder bag. It’s big enough for my two kids and the outside says boy and inside says girl. Perfect for my situation and more importantly it works with my Bugaboo and my outfits.
:)

PS what is DD,DS or DH I just started so I forgive me.

saschalicks
09-29-2004, 08:27 PM
dd = darling daughter
ds = darling son
dh = darling husband

I really wanted the shoulder bag, but after hearing the posters about the cs (customer service) issues I will not be getting one.