PDA

View Full Version : What is the next step up in size from an Alpha 7?

JamiMac
09-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Here is what I am looking for...Something that can hold enough for a newborn and potty training toddler. So everything that you carry with a newborn, plus extra panties and change of clothes for toddler, as well as a sippy.

I'm looking for something preferably in a messenger type or one that converts to a backpack like the A7. I really like the idea of the Timbuk2 divider. I like to keep snacks and bottles away from blankets and clothing. I LOVE my Alpha 7 but do get annoyed that everytime it falls over, I lose what is in the side pockets to the bottom of the bag. I also think I need more space.

So far, I'm thinking about a Loom Marsupial, a Timbuk2 small messenger or if nothing else, a Mothership. Don't get me wrong, I would love a Mothership, but at 5'3" I look like I'm carrying luggage!
LOL!

Is there anything else I'm missing???

lmariana
09-27-2004, 07:43 PM
I think you've covered your bases pretty well, but you may also want to consider the Timi and Leslie Large Bebe Bag. It's larger than the Alpha 7, but smaller than the Mothership. As a 5'2" mommy myself, it's a much better fit than the Mothership!

The Kecci is also in between the Mothership and the Alpha 7, it's a great bag for the co-op price, and I'd recommend it for sure! This one also converts to a backpack.

I've never seen one in person, but the Bumble Bags also convert to a backpack from messenger style.

Hope this gives you a good starting point!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

JamiMac
09-27-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks! Are the Loom and the Timbuk2 bigger than the Alpha 7?
I'm leaning towards the Timbuk2 for storage! Where can I see a big selection of the Timi and Leslie bag patterns. Their website only has a couple, and they are *odd* IMO! :)

Chelsey333
09-27-2004, 08:51 PM
I think it might be hard to fit everything you need in the Loom. I had the Loom with a newborn and 2 year old. I loved the internal organization of the bag. But I found it hard to fit a change of clothes in it for my ds - especially winter clothes. You might be able to do it, as I did often - but sometimes I felt I was overstuffing the bag and had to pull it tight to get the magnetic closures. I think the A7 is bigger than the Loom, bec the A7 stretches out as you pack it - and the Loom is more stiff and doesn't expand as easily. Maybe the Loom would work if you leave the spare outfit for your toddler in the car?

Love having the Mothership for a newborn and 2 year old. I can fit everything in it, though I don't need this bag daily.

jasabo
09-27-2004, 10:51 PM
I agree - I think the Marsupial is smaller then the A7 because it doesn't stretch. I can jam quite a bit in my A7 due to the flexability and the velcro.

I haven't seen the Timi and Leslie, so can't comment on that one, or the T2. I have a MS though, and think this bag would be big enough for your needs. I can easily fit all I need for my guys in, with enough room for my wallet, makeup case, etc.

Lisa - mom to 15 month old twin boys

robmab719
09-27-2004, 11:41 PM
I know they've gotten a bad wrap on here, but I'm going to suggest the OiOi messenger. It has almost the same organization as the Mothership, but it's a tad smaller. The main reason it popped into my mind was that you mentioned a "divider" to keep blankets and clothing separate. The OiOi has a large elasticized pocket that runs across the back of the interior and is large enough to hold a change of clothes and a thin receiving blanket. It also comes with a drawstring bottle bag (insulated) that ensures that even if the bottle tips, it doesn't spill into the rest of the bag.

If you go this direction, I recommend getting one of the microfiber versions, rather than the canvas. Several ladies have been concerned about the canvas getting dirty, but I don't have that problem with the chocolate microfiber that I chose.