PDA

View Full Version : SKIP HOP- black vs gray fabrics- different materials? (+ PPB problems!)

ShaniB123
09-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi All-

I had ordered a PPB boxy backpack from a high-end baby store here in LA, and although my PPB was supposed to be here by the end of September, it's not here, and PPB is not returning the store's phone calls (big surprise, right?) My baby is due a week from today and now I need to get another diaper bag quickly. Since I unfortunately cannot cancel my PPB order, I don't want to spend too much. I think I should get a Skip Hop, since everyone seems to love them, they're not too expensive, and maybe my husband would be willing to carry it when and if my PPB ever arrives.

Anyway, here's my question: are the black and charcoal Skip Hop colors made from the same type of fabric? It's clear from the pictures and descriptions of the black Skip Hop online that the black bag is canvas, but the charcoal one looks like nylon or some other shiny material. Does anyone know what type of material the charcoal Skip Hop is made from? I'm thinking I'll order it from Kids N Style, since they're not charging shipping, unless anyone else has another suggestion.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can give.

First due in CA in October

jk3
09-29-2004, 11:53 AM
I love my Skip Hop - by far the most useful bag I own! I think the fabrics are the same. I decided between the two and chose the black since I didn't have a black diaper bag! Target stocks them also + right now they have a 10 percent off discount code: TCSEPTSAVE88.

They'll also give you a free bag at the hospital. Not the most attractive item but it is pretty practical.

Good luck next week! How exciting!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

angelfan25
09-29-2004, 11:59 AM
I have the charcoal bag and it is canvas as well. I think the picture probably just looks shiney, but it's really not. You can't go wrong either way!

Shelly
Tucker Ryan 3/19/04
Matched and awaiting the arrival of another baby boy 11/23/04!!

newmomto1
09-29-2004, 12:02 PM
I have seen the charcoal AND the black IRL...they are definitely both the same material :-)

ShaniB123
09-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks, everyone! I ended up ordering the charcoal gray Skip Hop- the Zippy I have is charcoal, light gray, and red, so I thought they'd look nice together. I ordered it from arunningstroller.com, because they said they would ship it to me by Priority Mail at no extra charge, and I've heard really great things about that website on these boards. Thanks again for your help!

Sia Anderson
09-29-2004, 03:39 PM
I have purchased four Petunia bags over this year, and I had a problem with getting only one of them. I ordered that one online and it took a month. The online store said they over sold on some of the styles and were waiting on a shipment from Petunia. But it was worth the wait for that Manhattan bag. They are exclusive bags which makes them not everywhere. But that’s why I like them.

Got to: www.brownson5th.com/babybrowns/ppb.html they always have some.

ShaniB123
09-29-2004, 05:15 PM
I disagree- I think the PPBs *are* everywhere- I see them at high-end stores, mid-range stores, and many department stores. The store from which I ordered mine has carried them for a long time, but they didn't have the new versions in stock yet yet. I special ordered the new version of the Sunset Roll from this store approximately 6 weeks ago, and PPB told the store that they would receive it by the end of September. Well, tomorrow's the last day of September, and the bag is not there yet. The store has called PPB to inquire about the status, and as of yesterday afternoon, PPB did not return their calls. This particular store, which deals only with "exclusive" brands (it's a very high-end store and carries many European brands that you can't purchase elsewhere) says that PPB is the worst company to deal with overall.

Sia Anderson
09-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Sorry to hear your bad experience. My advice would be to choose a store that actually has one available. I was in the retail sector many years ago and our stores never ordered correctly then expected the manufacturers to compensate for it. It was a hard position for me to be in when customers couldn’t get what they wanted. Also, our manufacturers couldn’t drop everything to help out our stores bad projections. That was one reason why I ended up leaving that job.

I would recommend that you should order online or look at the store list on the Petunia site and call around to see who has what you need in stock.
;-)

ShaniB123
09-30-2004, 02:21 PM
I appreciate your suggestions, but my friends own this store, and I prefer to give them the business, as opposed to strangers. They do have the PPBs in stock, but not the newly remodelled ones, so they special-ordered me the new one in August.

PPB promised the store that the bag would arrive by the end of September, and it's still not here. The store has left PPB numerous messages re this, and PPB hasn't returned the calls. Based on my dealings with the store (including the fact that I place special orders with them on a regular basis -- eg, I custom ordered everything in my nursery from them, and I make purchases from them almost weekly) I am very confident that the store did not screw up, and that it's PPB that screwed up. The store says that PPB is the worst company to deal with, and many posters on this board have mentioned that they have a terrible time dealing with PPB.

Yes, my particular problem could have been avoided if I ordered or purchased the bag from someone who already had the one I wanted in stock, but if a company agrees to ship something by a certain date (and the date is 6 weeks away), there's no reason that I, as a consumer, should not be able to rely on that representation. There's also no reason that PPB should fail to return the store's phone calls when they call to inquire about the status of the order.

Knowing what I know now, I believe that if I ever have to contact PPB about a problem with the bag, I will get no service. If you read the "guarantee" on their website, it's actually quite appalling. The "guarantee" is worded in a way that suggests that they actually do guarantee their bags. However, a careful reading of the guarantee reveals that PPB has left itself an "out", and can basically decline to honor the guarantee at their own discretion, for any reason. In my opinion, posting such a misleading guarantee is much worse than having no guarantee at all, as PPB's "guarantee" would give the impression to many readers that they actually have a real and enforceable guarantee, which they do not. Their guarantee is worded in a very purposeful way.

That said, my PPB will probably arrive someday. I'm sure it will be pretty and that I will get a lot of compliments on it, etc... but the way PPB has treated other posters on this board, the fact that they have not honored the shipping date for my bag (and are now dodging the store's phone calls), the fact that retailers have told me PPB has the worst service of anyone, and their bogus guarantee just leave a bad taste in my mouth and make me wish I had never ordered this bag in the first place.

Chelsey333
09-30-2004, 02:22 PM
I have never seen a PPB IRL, ever. And I like to shop and shop often. Granted, I don't live in the hippest state - New Hampshire. I could probably find one if I went to Massachusetts, but in this area I have not come across any. I also have never seen a mom carrying one.