PDA

View Full Version : New to diaper bags - Help!

Jilly Bean
10-08-2004, 06:21 PM
I will be a first-time mom in mid-December and have just begun researcing diaper bags. I am confused! What do I need? I see alot about the Skip Hop and how that attaches to strollers. Do other bags not attach so that you have to put the bag in the basket? Are the Skip Hop's that great?

Please give me any advice on what kind of bag to get to start with. I will be a SAHM, and we really don't travel much, so I will mostly need a bag to run around town. I am a bag person now, so I am sure once I get the hang of it, I will have plenty!

jamsmu
10-08-2004, 07:27 PM
The best advice I can think of is to find a bag with lots of pockets and a "mommy section." I started with the LE Do it all which ended up being great in the beginning (for the first 4 months) but quickly got too big. I definitely recommend having 2 bags: a tote for when you are running around and something larger.

There's a great thread in here that is recent. It lists everything you wouldn't think you'd need in your bag. Read that before you look at bags.

And I also recommend going to a few stores that sell the bags, some upscale and some not so that you can compare whats out there.

2 other things I have learned to really appreciate: a key holder and a light colored interior--I'm sure you've read about the "black hole."

No real advice--we're all still looking for the perfect bag!

AbbieF
10-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, I guess my advice would be to get something basic and don't make a big investment yet. I know it's incredibly difficult, but I think you need to get a sense of what your travels with your baby will be like. This of course is the advice from a "wise old mother of 5mths", but speaking from my small experience motherhood it is so much different than I expected. It really is wonderful, and that I anticipated, but how I spend my time is not what I envisioned. For ex. I was expecting to breast feed for 6mths so I wasn't too concerned with how I would transport bottles. Well my plan took a quick detour and by 10 wks I was trying to figure out how to carry around bottles with formula. I'm already on my fourth bag and still in search of the perfect one! You'll discover as you search that most bags are not made to hook on the stroller and generally (esp. with an infant laying down) you can't get to the basket to put the bag in. Some things you'll want to think about: will you be the only one carrying the bag or will there be someone who might object to pink & flowers be sharing "bag duty"? will you be outside frequently and need to be concerned about weather conditions (snow/rain)-many of the exteriors are not weather resistant? Even if you feel like you need a lot of things, how heavy a bag is realistic for you to lug around? What kind of closures (zipper, flap, snap)do you like?-many styles are open which can be problematic if you're in a large city and keep your wallet, etc.. in the bag. I think for every person I've asked they've given me a different answer, on what the best diaper bag is. If you haven't joined already you might find the diaper bag group at yahoo helpful: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

lmariana
10-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi there!

The Skip Hop really is a fabulous diaper bag. It's great for running errands since it can attach easy to your stroller and a shopping cart. Remembering back to the lovely days of newborns...I would have needed a larger bag though. As the previous poster wrote, you'll probably want a couple diaper bags...one large one to tote it all and a small/medium one for quick errands.

Even if you don't plan on traveling much, if you go to a friend's/parent's house for a few hours, you're probably going to want more than you can imagine! I know I totally underestimated the # of burp cloths I needed to carry! We had to carry 6-8 per outing thanks to our wonderful spitter-upper. :) Then there's extra clothing, water bottle for you, etc...it adds up quickly. You'll love a bigger bag.

Some bags I'd recommend are...

Small/Medium:
www.chesterhandbags.com (Chester Classic Diaper Bag)
www.skiphop.com
www.loomlife.com (Loom Bandicoot)
www.landsend.com (Little Tripper)
www.petuniapicklebottom.com (Toddler Tote)
www.timbuk2.com (Metro Mini or Small Messenger)

Large/Really Large:
Loom Marsupial
www.timiandleslie.com (Large Bebe Bag)
Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack or Shoulder Bag
Timbuk2 Medium Messenger
www.fleurville.com (Mothership)

Hope this is fun for you!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
Join the Babybags Swap group! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/join

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Momof3Labs
10-08-2004, 11:21 PM
I agree to just get something inexpensive (my first diaper bag was $10, but the hospitals now give free basic black bags rather than the awful bright colors I got, so you don't even need to spend that) and wait until you know how you use a diaper bag before doing any research on them. You may have a "spitter" which means you'll pack more burp cloths and extra clothes. You may plan to bf'd but end up toting a bottle every now and then. The nice thing is that any bag can function as a diaper bag, and once you know what you like, you can research the great bags out there.

Chelsey333
10-09-2004, 09:00 AM
I love the Skip Hop, but I wouldn't want it to be my only bag - only bec it doesn't stand on its own. It has to be leaned up against something or you have to hang it on something. I don't like that bec it tips over if you don't have anything to lean it on. It is a great bag with great organization, as long as you don't mind that it can't stand on its own. I really like an Alpha 7 for an everyday bag or the Loom Marsupial. Both these bags have great organization - which is essential for those first few months. Pockets are really the key to feeling organized in the beginning. My first bag was a Kate Spade bag, and it was so cute - but I was always digging for things bec it didn't have a lot of pockets inside. Now I never dig bec I know which pocket everything is in. Congratulations!

Corie
10-10-2004, 05:10 PM
My favorite is the Vera Bradley diaper bag. I bought one 3 years ago for my first baby and I plan to buy another for baby #2.
It has lots of pockets inside and out. It comes with a changing pad.
Plus, I can empty everything out of the bag and toss it in the washer & dryer and it looks brand new.
Also, since it is made of the quilted cotton material, it can be easily shoved into baskets, behind your seat in the car, etc.
(My friend got a Kate Spade diaper bag and that bag is like carrying around a cardboard box. It is so stiff and unflexible.)

This is a great bag and it has worked really well for me!
Corie