PDA

View Full Version : How do you use a Timbuk2 as a diaper bag?

hudsonam
10-08-2004, 10:40 PM
I think these are very cool bags, but how are you using them as diaper bags? I know you can get a separate changing pad, but what about pockets for bottles and wet things and whatever else this 7 mo. pg woman doesn't even know about yet? ;-)

Momof3Labs
10-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Ziploc bags work great for wet things. Changing pads are a waste, IMO - I prefer to use a receiving blanket (which takes up less space in the bag). We use a sippy cup now, but once the bag is packed, a sippy cup sits nicely in one corner without a special pocket of its own.

MorganMom
10-09-2004, 02:26 AM
My small T2 has the added center divider, which is where I keep all my dipe stuff. I also use Ziplocs for wet/yucky things. It's just gross to toss a wet shirt or full dipe in your bag to carry around. LOL

As the PP stated, when I put my other stuff in the bag, my DS's sippy cups pretty much fit in w/out needing a dedicated pocket. The T2 bags have soooo many dividers and pockets that I don't miss a bottle pocket at all.

hudsonam
10-09-2004, 10:30 AM
What's the strap like? I wish I knew what to call it, but I have a purse with a very luggage-like strap that pills up certain shirts, and I don't want to end up with a diaper bag with the same type of strap. It's nylon, I guess. Not leather or fabric.

alkagift
10-09-2004, 04:00 PM
The strap is very heavy duty nylon. You can check out the details on www.timbuk2.com

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/03

MorganMom
10-09-2004, 10:37 PM
The strap is a wide (2in?) heavy nylon. When I first got it out of the pkg, the strap seemed really stiff. But after a couple of days' use it softened up.

I suggest springing for the shoulder pad- I got one and it's wonderful. It's actually big enough to be useable, as opposed to most shoulder pads. Also I got the cell phone holder and love that. It's so nice to be able to keep my phone on the outside of the bag and readily accessible so I'm not digging thru stuff frantically while it's ringing. The cell phone holder fits my Alpha 7 strap and will velcro around most other straps as well.

indigo
10-09-2004, 11:18 PM
I bought the medium size on sale at Sierra Trading Post and am somewhat dissatisfied with it as a primary diaper bag. It deson't stay on the handles of my stroller very well and it's just a tiny bit too small - hard to keep the ch. pad and dirty dipes isolated. I had high hopes for the Timbuk2 since it was a bag my husband could carry without feeling conspicuous. Anyway I just ordered the Deluxe Backpack from Lands' End and we'll see how that one works out!

Meanwhile, in the messenger bag I usually carry:

- a changing pad (First Years)
- 2-3 diapers (size 2 right now)
- some wipes in a slim hardsided case that came with the changing pad
- change of clothing for DD
- receiving blanket
- couple of burp cloths (cloth diapers)
- small squeeze bottle (about the size of a roll of film) of hand sanitizer
- plastic pouch for dirty dipes
- clear plastic toiletry pouch from Container Store that I use as my purse (holds lipstick, keys, cell phone, barrette and wallet)
- *no* bottles as we are BF'ing, when I do bring EBM it has to go in a separate bag, I can't fit the bottles and the cool packs into the bag!!!

I didn't custom-order the Timbuk2, maybe that was the problem, but I wish I would have... I would have gotten:
- divider for the main compartment, to keep things separate
- handle for the top of the bag to make it easy to grab without slinging the strap over my shoulder
- possibly the pad for the shoulder strap, and a cell phone holder

Long post but I hope this is of some help!

indigo
DD 7/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif BFing 3+ months