PDA

View Full Version : RAVE: My LL Bean microfiber

hellokitty
10-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Can I say, "wow?" I am impressed with this bag, and was even having doubt about it. I ordered it on a whim, since I needed to get some winter gear for DH and the baby. This bag is very cool, it has lots of pockets, it has three different carrying styles too. A traditional messenger carry, a short handle to carry it like a briefcase AND it also has a backpack option! This is actually why I got it, I wanted something kind of like the fluerville (but not as girly and bulky, so DH would use it too), that could be worn as a backpack too. Basically, there are extra straps that unzip from a pouch for the backpack straps. In terms of organization, this thing has quite a few pockets, the obligatory LL Bean key fob, AND you can also unzip the front compartment (it has a main compartment that you can unzip from top, and then a front compartment with all the organization under a messenger flap) for even more room around the sides! I got the boring black, b/c I want this bag to be very versatile and after getting a possibilities and ordering two WW, I think I have enough, "girly" bags for a while. I have quite a bit packed into it, more than I could fit in my skip hop AND it is not bulgy looking when full, it holds its shape well.

The pad on the backpack straps are really nice, the pad on the regular messenger shoulde straps felt uncomfortable when the bag was empty, BUT when I loaded it up with my stuff, it made sense why the padding felt a little stiffer (it does not dig into your shoulder and it's kind of big). Size wise, it is not as long as my skip hop, BUT it is maybe about 1-2 inches taller. There is a cell phone pocket on the outside on the side and the other side has a mesh pocket that will fit a sippy or water bottle. Unfortunately, there is no big pocket inside for a sippy, so that may be one thing that some moms would really miss having. Anyway, it's $56 and right now LL Bean is having free shipping too (it's sent via fed ex). If I had found this bag earlier, I actually don't think I would have gotten my skip hop. One thing I also like is, unlike my skip hop, this bag is able to stand on my it's own. I think that is the one thing (other than the shoulder strap too and lack of key fob) on my skip hop that drives me nuts. It (skip hop) topples over unless you lean it on something or hang it on something.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw out another bag for everyone to obsess about. This is defintiely a gender neutral bag, and more, "sporty" looking IMO, but also nice and trim looking too, it's not big looking like my LE DIA. I wanted something to use in the winter time that actually zipped up and the microfiber is also something that can be easily wiped clean (winters get nasty around here with all the salt, etc..). The sage and blue are nice looking colors, I wish they would have had red or something more bright, but the black is fine for me and this would be an awesome bag even after you're finished using it as a baby bag.

Here's a link...

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=30113&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4520&cat4=2913&shop_method=pp&feat=dp50

dmlbonjour
10-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Oooh - this looks really nice. I have been searching everywhere for a backpack diaper bag to use while I have the baby in my Bjorn carrier. The one problem I keep having though is that we have a bad problem with pickpockets where we live so I am too afraid to get one that had the traditional around the top zipper closure. The way this one folds down and then latches would make pickpocketing definitely more difficult!

I have a couple of questions reagarding the backpack straps - are they adjustable? and also, when it is in backpack mode, can the shoulder strap be hidden or taken off?

Also, do you know if it is waterproof/resistant? Our winters are awful 6 month long rainy affairs, so this is a consideration as well.

I don't know if it is too much trouble, but some folks have posted pics of their bags - if you could that would be a big help. I keep seeing stuff that I think looks ok, and then I see it IRL and they are HUGE!

My mom is coming over in a couple of weeks, so I might just get her to stick one of these in her case!

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

caleymama
10-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks for posting such a great review! I've actually had my eye on the tote bag that's part of this same line, but this bag looks pretty nice (and versatile!) too. Hmmmm . . . even more to think about :)

ckleist
10-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Do you think you could posts some pics of the bags? I'd love to see what inside looks like. Also, what color is the inside? Does it have the black hole effect or does stuff seem to be easy to find?

Thanks!

ckleist
10-12-2004, 01:10 PM
I checked out the site and it looks like the bags (at least black) is on order until 10/15. Also, how do you get free shipping? I was going thru the ordering process and it calcated $6.95 for shipping. Is there a special code?

Thanks

hellokitty
10-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Lol, I was torn btwn this bag and the same tote bag you mentioned. However, what really caught my eye with this one was that it looked slim AND the backpack straps made it more versatile. I have no backpack diaper bags, so thought this would be nice.

hellokitty
10-12-2004, 02:30 PM
I will try to post pics later on today. Yes, the backpack straps are nice, they are hidden into a zippered pocket in the back of the bag when not in use. When you use it, the straps are adjustable and they have two loops that you hook the bottom of the backpack straps too. They did a nice job of hiding it, you really wouldn't even suspect the backpack option unless you saw the two small metal loops a the bottom two corners on the back of the bag. As for water resistance, I wouldn't submerge it in water, but d/t the material I think it would not get soaked in the rain/snow like a cotton tote. I will give it a try and post an update. Looking at the site, it does say it is supposed to be stain and water resistant (not proof). The only thing about the black is that I am sure that it will show dust, but that could probably be easily brushed off.

hellokitty
10-12-2004, 02:32 PM
I'll get some pics up later on today. Free shipping at LL Bean code:

Here is a free shipping code with no minimum purchase required- 2238150 exp 1/1/05

hellokitty
10-12-2004, 03:09 PM
I forgot to add that yes, the shoulder strap detaches, so you can take it off while using it in backpack or suitcase mode.

dmlbonjour
10-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks so much for the info! I can't wait to see the pics.
Thanks for going out of your way to do this!
-Michelle

hellokitty
10-12-2004, 09:13 PM
OK here are the pics I promised. If you have any questions, ask away and I will try my best to answer them.

BTW, here is what I have in the bag (it does not have a black hole effect, b/c it is lined in silver, so it's not all dark)...

Back main compartment...
-Extra outfit
-hotsling pouch
-ziplock bag for dirties
-2 bibs
-burp cloth
-I forgot to put in a recieving blanket, but even with that I would have had tons of room left

Front main pocket...
-wipes
-2 disposable changing pads
-3 disposable dipes
This is the pocket that has the potential to unzip to become even bigger. I forgot to take a pic, but it is kind of difficult to show anyway.

Messenger flap has my wallet, I usually carry a water bottle for myself, which would be in the bottle holder on the side and obviously my cell phone is in the cell phone compartment.

In various front pockets under messenger pocket...
-roll of plastic bags for dirty dipes (comes in a keychain dispenser)
-keys on the key fob
-anitbac gel
-maxi pad
-pen
-pk of tissues
-chapstick
There is potential for a lot more other small things, I'm not really utilizing all the pockets.

hellokitty
10-12-2004, 09:17 PM
One more pic. I forgot to get a pic of it in shoulder bag style, but it's really similar in size to the skip hop if you can imagine that.

caleymama
10-12-2004, 09:38 PM
THANK YOU!!!!

dmlbonjour
10-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I am definitely going to order this bag. The other plus about it that I thought of last night is that since it is a square sort of flat type bag, if I wear it on the metro or bus, I can still sit in a seat without having to take it off!

(I, like you though, wish that it would come in more colors, like a burgandy or chocolate brown - ahhh well, can't have everything!)

-Michelle

hellokitty
10-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Yes, that's what I like about this bag, it's not super bulky like a regular backpack, it's more squarish/flat and it doesn't get that buldgey look when it's full either.

smiliedds
10-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Great find! Nice fabric, easy to clean, lots of compartments, messenger and backpack style... Sounds great for travel. Of course, I just put an order through for a T2. Otherwise, I would order this one instead.

Rebecca

hellokitty
10-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Bump for Kath...

dmlbonjour
10-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Just went and ordered it! Thanks so much for the free shipping code and the tip! Can't wait to get it - it is on order until the 20th and then it will get sent to my brother's and then he has to mail it to me here in France. Hopefully it will get here before the baby's first birthday!

Thanks again - Michelle

hellokitty
10-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Oh my, this bag will be well traveled before it even gets to you! :) I hope you like it.

hellokitty
10-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Deleted, sorry repeat post.

saschalicks
10-15-2004, 03:54 PM
what a great bag. If DH hadn't banned me from shopping I'd actually buy it. However, one question. What's the dog's name? I saw paws in one of the pics. He looks like a cutey. Have fun w/your bag.

hudsonam
10-20-2004, 02:39 PM
I think you've sold me on this bag! And I was leary of a bag not meant to be a diaper bag, since this is my first bag and first child, but it looks great, and you can't beat LL Bean's guarantee. Now I can't decide between blue and black. The blue looks kind of funky on the site, but in person it might be nice. Hmmm.... ;-)

hudsonam
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
If anyone is interested, they also have a Carryall Shoulder Bag, that seems to be identical other than the material, and it's in different colors! :-)

dmlbonjour
10-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Yep - I checked out that one too! I loved the fact that it came in burgandy - one of my favorite colors. They do seem to be quite similar - the one difference that I noted was that the dimensions are a little different with the carryall being a little longer and narrower than the microfiber. And I think, but am not sure, it looked like in the pics of the microfiber bag that the cell phone pocket on the side has a flap that closes, on the carryall, it doesn't look like there is one - just a pocket. In the end I went for the microfiber just because I thought it was a little more dressy looking but it was a tough choice!

-Michelle

hudsonam
10-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Yes, I also noticed that the closure on the front flap seems to be different, and it looks easier on the microfiber. Plus, the other one does not have the silver interior, which I like. What color did you order?

TonFirst
10-20-2004, 05:59 PM
FWIW, I have the small rolling microfiber suitcase from that LL Bean line of luggage, and I have dragged that bag all around the country - frequently - for more than three years. That bag has taken a beating in both overhead bins and as checked baggage, and the fabric still looks brand new. You have definitely bought a long-term, multifunctional bag!

newmomto1
10-20-2004, 07:05 PM
You've got me thinking about this bag!!
I was wondering if you find it easy to access things inside the bag when you're on the go. Do you find the flap & zipper combo to be inconvenient??
Thanks!

hellokitty
10-20-2004, 07:42 PM
I usually put stuff under the flap that I don't need to access all the time (like diaper changing stuff, some of my own knick knacks, etc.. It seems like I tend to use the main zipper pocket the most at the top, that doesn't have a flap. The only thing is, the key fob can be a little bit of a pain to get to, since it's in the flap area, I wish it was in the main compartment.

hellokitty
10-20-2004, 07:45 PM
The microfiber is also really easy to clean.

newmomto1
10-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Oh...do you mean the flap does NOT go over the main compartment????
That would be awesome!

hudsonam
10-20-2004, 08:06 PM
How does the flap open and close? Is it with a snap? That's one of the biggest things turning me off of the cheaper one - that it closes with clasps, like some messenger bags, and they're more trouble than their worth.

ETA: Never mind! I think I see from the pictures. :)

hellokitty
10-20-2004, 10:44 PM
No, if you look at the pictures you will see. There is a main compartment that unzips from the top. Then there is the flap, and a large comparment under that flap and tons of smaller organization pockets. I put joshua's blankets, change of clothes, toys, cheerios, etc in the non-flap main compartment. I would NOT buy a bag that was totally covered with a msg flap, that would drive me bonkers.

newmomto1
10-20-2004, 11:58 PM
THANKS!!...I feel the same way!
I was studying your pics & just couldn't tell for sure...so I am glad you let me know.
I think I am going to order one :-)

ETA: I ordered on last night. It looks like they are on back order until 10/25 now :-(
I wonder if they keep moving the date back or if they keep running out of bags??
Thanks for the great review & answering everyone's questions!!!!
If I like this I think I may sell my T2 (something will have to go :-))

mom2bes
10-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi. I was just wondering if you have tried wearing this bag messenger style..and if so, is it comfortable to wear this way?
Thank you!

dmlbonjour
10-21-2004, 03:23 AM
I ended up getting black and I also was swayed by the interior color (forgot to mention that!) I would have preferred though to have either burgandy or chocolate brown, but I guess you can't have everything! Where I live it rains all the time and I take public transport a lot so a darker color suits those needs better - otherwise I might have gone for the green.

-Michelle

Buzymommy5
10-21-2004, 03:53 AM
thanks for the pics...awesome bag! this is a great alternative to the skip hop, when a zippered bag is needed during rainy seasons. can you tell me if the straps fit over your stroller handles?

thanks
chris

hellokitty
10-21-2004, 12:37 PM
The straps are VERY generous, they fit on my mac techno and combi soho with no problem. I have not tried it on my other strollers yet, but I doubt you would have problems fitting it onto a regular sized stroller (eg: I don't know about twin strollers).

hellokitty
10-21-2004, 12:38 PM
You mean across my chest? No, I'm not a fan of wearing my bags messenger style, I've only tried it with the backpack style and regular shoulder carry and then the briefcase carry.

hellokitty
10-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Let us know what you think of the bag when you get it. I wonder if this is a new bag of LL Bean's. When I ordered it, the woman I talked to on the phone was like, "oh, I have that bag!" I was all excited and said, "do you like it?" Turns out she got mixed up, she had a different bag (I'm thinking maybe she had the other msg bag that another person posted about on this thread), but I told her I liked the bag and wanted to use it as a diaper bag b/c of the organization and the three different carrying straps. She was like, "hey, that is really cool, I did not know we had a bag like that, the backpack option is really nice!" So, I'm thinking maybe this is one of their newer bags, and ppl are trying it out, so that is why it's selling out. I remember another poster said it was backordered to the 15th or 17th. I hope they don't keep pushing it back. I am a big microfiber fan to begin with, so I really like this bag, and it rained last time I used it, and the water just beaded on the bag and fell right off, so it's good that it is winter/rain friendly. I usually do not like that material they use for other backpacks and msg bags, they seems to get dirty really easily, get wet and don't hold their shape. It also helps that it is not a traditional messenger bag where the flap covers all the pockets. I had one of those in college, and it was PITA to use (and close, b/c if you put a lot of junk in it, sometimes it was hard to buckle), and that was without a squirmy baby!

newmomto1
10-21-2004, 01:03 PM
I am not sure what the deal is...because I did a "live chat" with LL Bean yesterday & they told me that the messenger flap COVERS the main compartment...& that is how the website pic looks to me too. That is why I had asked you about that. I am hoping they didn't change it since you got yours...because if the main compartment is under the flap I will be returning it.

hellokitty
10-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Lol, Candice I've got a min pin, her name is macy. She's a cutie at only 9 lbs. :) She looooves to be in pics.

hellokitty
10-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Yeah, it is kind of weird that other than the tan and black, the two other choices were a dusty/pastel type color. I wish they had some other colors, like red, burgundy, navy, etc..

hellokitty
10-21-2004, 01:53 PM
I think they are screwed up and have too many bags and can't keep track of them. I wonder how many of the CS ppl actually get down and dirty and try the clothes on, open and explore the bags, etc.. They really should, so they could answer questions properly. I also wish they had better pics on their site. I have to admit, I wasn't quite sure what I would think of this bag when I ordered it, d/t limited pictures and description, BUT when I got it, I was pleasantly surprised, b/c it was even nicer than I thought it was going to be. Like you said, at least they have easy returns.

hellokitty
10-21-2004, 01:56 PM
No, to be honest, I have not tried wearing the bag across my chest, b/c I have never liked wearing any of my bags that way. So, I am biasesd, since I don't like that carrying style.

newmomto1
10-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Waaah!!!
I ordered one of these bags last week & it was supposed to be backordered until today.
I just checked the website & now they are backordered until NOV 8TH!!
It's not like I *NEED* it right now....but when I finally make a decision to get something, and then I order it...I get VERY IMPATIENT!
Did anyone else get theirs yet???

hellokitty
10-25-2004, 06:12 PM
That's too bad. I hope you get it soon. I wonder why it is so popular right now. It can't be just from my post. Let us know when you do get it. I've been using mine in backpack mode a lot lately while wearing joshua in a sling and I've been loving it.

ckleist
03-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm just wondering if you still love your bag now that several months have gone by. I was thinking about ordering one, but wanted to see what your opinion of it is now and how is it holding up.

jasabo
03-25-2005, 05:30 PM
I wanted to barge in and say that, while I wasn't the OP (can't remember if I ever posted on this thread), I've been using my Bean bag for about 2 months and am still madly in love with it. I've received a few bags in the mail that I ordered before I rec'd my Bean bag (a large OCC and an Ella) and I used them both for a few days and went back to my Bean bag. I've gotten completely hooked on the organization and can't stand using any other bags that aren't as organized. Though I still don't like the look very much - would prefer a more fun and less sporty/outdoor look - I still love the functionality, which has been winning out for me recently. Also, it's held up beautifully - no rips, snags, holes, etc. - no complaints at all.

Anyway, I highly recommend this bag and you can always buy it, use it to try it out, and return it if you don't like it - Bean always takes returns, even if they're used.

Lisa - mom to 21 month old twin boys

ckleist
03-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks! I've been searching for a good backpack bag, and just can't seem to find one that is a good size with decent organization. I've got a Chester and like the size, but not the black hole and lack of organization. I just received the Lands End diaper backpack and it is huge, but great organization. I also just received the ISM so big bag, but it is way too boxy for me, so I'm returning that as well.

I just ordered the Samsonite Cascadia backpack/tote today. It looks like a small bag that would be good for dad when he takes the 2 year old on quick errands.

I think I'll be ordering the LL Bean one as well.

hellokitty
03-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Actually, I still really like it. Of course, now that my baby is older, we don't use it as much, b/c we don't need to lug around as much stuff. However, baby #2 is on the way, and I'll have a lot of stuff to carry around again, so I'll be using it a lot more soon again. :)

lcl
03-29-2005, 01:41 PM
how does it compare to the llbean diaper bag and touring bag? i have a touring bag which i love but am afraid it might be too small when #2 arrives

quinnsmom
03-29-2005, 04:58 PM
>how does it compare to the llbean diaper bag and touring bag?
>i have a touring bag which i love but am afraid it might be
>too small when #2 arrives

I too am wondering if anyone can answer this question. I was all set to get the L.L. Bean diaper bag

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=40299&sc1=Search&feat=sr

But - now that I read this post - I am thinking the microfiber bag may be better/has more options!

Too many choices....!

hellokitty
03-29-2005, 06:36 PM
I won't be able to compare, since I don't have a regular LL bean diaper bag or a tour bag.

suzhatch1
03-30-2005, 12:01 PM
This is a wonderful thread with really good info about this bag! Does anyone know if it has carabiners that would allow it to hook to the handles of a Peg P3? I've tried just slinging the straps of other shoulder/backpack bags across the handle bars, but then they end up sliding down to the canopy. I'd love it if there were hooks that would attach right to the handlebars!

I wasn't even remotely thinking about a LE bag, until I read through all these posts. I have a Nicole Miller that I bought about 2 weeks ago & a Kecci that is on order....baby is due in June - okay, okay, so I'm stocking up :) I'm rethinking the Nicole Miller bag, it's a black microfiber messanger bag with a blue interior, but it has the flap all the over the main compartment and it's a bit bulky. When the flap is closed it puckers a bit on the sides. I may be reconsidering for this LE! Thanks!

hellokitty
03-30-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't have a p3, but I think I have seen the holes you are talking about. The LLB microfiber that I have, DOES allow you to remove the strap, so that means it has strap hoops on both ends of the diaper bag. So, if you have hooks, you can hook it to your stroller. If this doesn't make any sense, let me know.

quinnsmom
04-02-2005, 08:36 AM
I just saw this bag used on Ebay if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16081&item=6521749414&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

hellokitty
04-02-2005, 12:04 PM
That's a good price, but I'm surprised how beat the bag listed looks! Mine still looks brand new, no scuffs or anything like that.

dules
04-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Great review! Thanks for taking the time to do all this.

Now yet another bag to obsess on...hmmm...

Best,
Mary