PDA

View Full Version : Review: New PPB Toddler Tote w/Pics

Buzymommy5
10-20-2004, 04:14 AM
Just received my butterfly toddler tote that I ordered almost 3 months ago. The first thing I noticed was a sewing mistake on my bag. the person who made this forgot to sew a pom pom in and left a gap where it should have been placed... EEKS,where is the quality control!

My first impression of this bag was that I thought it would be too small for my needs, that is until I started to pack a few things in it. Granted, it does lack interior pockets but the bag molds to what you have inside and surprisingly held more than I expected. The inside is one open compartment with one bottle pocket inside and one small velcro pocket in center back. I put three size 3 diapers, a diaper wipe case, a bag with extra clothes, burp cloth, sippy cup, wallet, and cosmetic bag inside and the bag still feels super light. Don’t know if I would want to put a juice bottle in a ppb bag, but hey, it fits.

On exterior of bag there are two side by side pockets to put small things like keys,palm pilot, cell phone, etc. and two bottle pockets on each end. I didn’t have a bottle to use for an example, but I did have an old Playtex sippy cup and it doesn’t fit on the exterior bottle pocket. These pockets are very narrow. There is no give and elastic would probably have helped a great deal. Imo, this bag is ideal for a toddler...wouldn't recommend for a newborn unless you are a light packer.

It is relatively small when compared to the new boxy backpack which is definitely larger in size and holds more because of the extra front pocket where the diaper pad is attached to.

The new backpacks appears identical to the originals until you open the bag. They placed a lot more velcro in the new bags to reinforce and offer more closure options, which to me, is very unattractive. on the back of the flap they sewed two long black strips of Velcro vertically on each side and then on the outside front they sewed another wide strip of velcro that runs horizontially across the delicate brocade fabric. It stands out especially on their lighter fabrics and that is why I returned my “new and improved” version of their bam bam. You could take a look at the pics I took comparing the old and new version if you do a search on ppb bags. I haven’t received my fond of flora yet, but hoping that it will blend in better with the darker fabric.

They also use less brocade. On the originals, the entire front pocket was lined in all brocade, but now they just use the same solid lining throughout.

PPB’s are beautiful bags. Their striking fabrics and rich colors are what makes them so darn apealing. Functionality is average, if not, slightly lacking. Quality is inconsistent but worst of all is their customer service. Don’t expect fair treatment if you have any problems with your bags. Personally, I think Kim from WW can make just as good, if not a better quality tote using the same fabrics.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed that after such a long wait I have to return my tote bag...it would have made a cute purse. With the amount of time it took for them to make it and send it out you'd think they would have checked the bag more thoroughly. Guess not.

chris

Kimberly H
10-20-2004, 07:03 AM
Chris, so sorry about your new PPB. :(

mfk0205
10-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks for your review. I've been on the fence about getting one of the toddler totes, but I think I should definitely look elsewhere. I can't get over the fact that they had a gap in the pom-poms. It just screams terrible workmanship. Thanks again for your comments; bummer that it didn't work out for you.

jdm
10-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the great review. I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you after waiting so long for it. It's hard to believe that a company with such a following has such bad customer service.

--k

turtledove
10-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the review. I have been on the fence about these bags and have second guessed my decision to not participate in the most recent coop. This makes me feel like I made the right decision. Sorry you are disappointed!

robmab719
10-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Bummer! I'm so sorry about the bag. Aside from the quality issue, it is really quite beautiful. Are you going to get a new one, or have you given up on PPB entirely?

I ordered a BB in Paris Weekend through the co-op, despite all the warnings about bad customer service. Hopefully I won't live to regret that decision. We shall see!

jasabo
10-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Oh no! I ordered a TT during the co-op too....now I'm a little worried. I was hoping to be able to carry sippy cups in those side pockets, but it sure doesn't look good. Darn. Well, I guess I'll wait and see.

Sorry about your bag. The missing pom-pom is pretty bad. It sounds like PPB is having some really bad workmanship and c/s issues lately.

Lisa - mom to 16 month old twin boys

Buzymommy5
10-20-2004, 08:20 PM
i just received an email from the company i purchased from...she showed her rep my pics and they are going to send me a replacement as soon as i send mine back to them. the owner must have mentioned that i planned on reporting with pictures to a baby forum. goes to show you how valuable this message board is! anyhow, haven't given up completely since my backpack is still on backorder.

what i have given up on is trying to search for that perfect "do it all" diaper bag for baby and me because i know it just ain't gonna happen. too much of a hassle to keep unpacking all of baby things so i have decided to just use my skip hop as primary daily bag. there's always something to attach it to, so it always frees my hands so that i can use one of my many pretty bags!

there's so much less stress in switching from purse to purse because for one thing, less things to transfer...secondly, don't have to worry about organizing mine and baby's things so it fits and looks perfect in bag, and thirdly, don't have to worry about a heavy overpacked bag on my shoulders!

so now that i'm back in the world of purses, i'm always on the lookout for something different and after discovering this message board that will now have to include "diaper" bags! if it's funky and cute, i'm there, but it will be just for me.

chris