PDA

View Full Version : Are Fleurvilles really shiny IRL????

annasmom
10-22-2004, 12:59 PM
While I have been very intrigued by these bags because of all of the great posts on this board, I must admit that I have kind of thought that Fleurvilles are ugly, kind of plasticky looking. Now, I have never seen a Fleurville in real life, so this is based on internet pictures only. But today at my OB's office, I was looking at Pregnancy magazine and there was a picture of the MS (pink chocolate), and it didn't look very shiny!!! So what do you all think?? I would love it if it weren't shiny because based on what I have read I think that the MS or Alpha 7 may just be the bags for me when my new baby comes in February (I will have a 17 month and a newborn).

Please tell me what you think!!! Does anyone have any good pictures??? And, if anyone knows by any chance where I can see one IRL in Northern NJ, can you let me know???

TIA, Eileen

Chelsey333
10-22-2004, 02:07 PM
I have a blue Mothership and I think it is very shiny. I used to think the Ms were ugly when I first started reading about them on these boards. However, something happened - and now I think they are a very nice looking bag. At first I thought the plastic was cheesy, now I think the plastic looks nice and it is also practical. Love the size of the bag for longer outings and family visits. I think the A7 is more of a matte look, if that makes any sense. I have seen the blue chocolate in person, and it was not as shiny as my Mothership. I have a black cord A7 and I love it. It is my favorite bag for 2 year old and 5 mos. old. Hope this helps.

ellies mom
10-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Oh, it's shiny. Think fabric covered with a layer of shiny clear vinyl. I'm not much of a shiny person, but I don't mind it so much on the escape pod.

jasabo
10-22-2004, 02:42 PM
I have a Lime Bingo MS and it's definitely shiny and vinyly looking. I didn't use to like the look of them - thought they were huge and gaudy. But I have to say that it's now my favorite large/all-day bag (until I find something new :)). I still find it a little bulky, but I usually hang it on my stroller so it's not that big of a deal. You can fit a LOT into it, which is what I like. And the vinyl is actually very practical. My bag still looks brand new.

I also have a red canvas Alpha 7 which isn't shiny at all (and is showing stains since there's no vinyl to protect it). I used to have a pink chocolate A7, and it wasn't as shiny as the vinyl covered MS's. It's more plasticy looking to me.

Anyway, so it just depends on which one you get. The canvas ones aren't shiny but the vinyl ones are.

Lisa - mom to 16 month old twin boys

masetane
10-22-2004, 05:28 PM
These bags grew on me too. I prefer the mutred shine of the Alpha 7's actually. I also find that the darker the fabric underneath, the more shine to it. My indigo mothership that I just sold was super shiny looking
Caroline
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ma.gif
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

audball
10-22-2004, 06:18 PM
I think you already have your answer! I was meaning to write earlier today but look at all the responses :)...so yes, the vinyl is shiny. I thought I would be able to overlook it, but when I saw it IRL, I had a problem with it. I love the prints and the size on the MS is quite nice too.

An alternative may be the OiOi Messengers. Here's a pic of mine. The nylon material is super easy to clean (this doesn't collect dirt at all), but they do have canvas prints which I heard are a little bit of a pain. I heard the microfiber is nice and easy to manage as well.

HTH!
ETA: Size-wise I think they are a little smaller than the MS, but larger than the Alpha 7.

caridura
10-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Here is a picture of my MS in chocolate cord. It's definately a shiny bag. I wasn't too keen on the shiny factor either at first, but now I like it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/sescob/DCP00692.jpg

I also have a brown chocolate A7 and that's not as shiny. I think it's more of a pearlized shine rather than the vinyl shine of the MS.

HTH!

~Sari
edd 11/16/04

ktdid74
10-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I have the pink stripe MS and I love it! It's my favorite bag and I love the fact that it just wipes clean of anything!! I thought it was a little shiny at first but it never really bothered me. I think it would be the perfect bag for 2 kids in diapers. I would love to buy the red or houndstooth one if I was in the market for another MS.

annasmom
10-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all of your responses!! Well, I hunted down some Fleurvilles at a nearby store today, so I actually saw both the MS and Alpha & IRL. Its true, the shine is very different depending on the color & fabric. I saw both the blue chocolate MS and Alpha 7, and the MS was much shinier. Also, the pink chocolate MS seemed shinier than the blue chocolate MS.

If you all don't mind, I have a few quick questions about size. The Alpha 7 seems to be comparable in size to my Skip Hop, does anyone know if this is correct? I vaguely recall a discussion about this recently, maybe I will search the board. Also, the MS seemed like a suitcase!!! It is huge! I am a pretty heavy packer though, I guess a suitcase-sized diaper bag may be in my future!!! Did anyone find it too big??

Thanks again!!!

Chelsey333
10-22-2004, 09:55 PM
I never find the Mothership too big. When I decide I need a bigger bag, I grab the MS and I always fill it. A blanket or sweatshirt can fill it up quickly. I think the A7 and Skip hop are comparible in size but it is a different kind of size. Bec the skip hop is more narrow, it is harder to fit bulker things (like sweatshirts) in it. But the A7 is boxier so I can fit more clothes in it. I think the Skip hop is able to hold a lot of little stuff, like toys, snacks, bibs, etc. The A7 is easier to hold more clothes. I use both bags throughout the week and love them both. Btw, my black cord A7 is not vinyl - no shine to it, just in case the shine is scaring you away.