PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag advice for soon to be mom

Khralvarez
10-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi ladies --
I'm a soon to be mom (due in January) and am in need of some diaper bag advice. I've been lurking on this board, so I know you guys know your stuff!
Based on all the reviews here, my sister's getting me a Skip Hop bag (in red) for when I'm out for a "stroll". But as I am a "Bag Lady" (I LOVE purses), I know that one diaperbag is not enuf.
What should I get as a second bag?
Right now I am choosing between:
Sally Spicer baby bag (the tote, in red dragonfly)
I'm Still Me (ISM) backpack/tote (in scarlett)
or
the Lands End tailored diaper bag/tote (can't decided between the Small, Med or Large)(oh, and yeah, if I get this monogrammed, should I get my name or the baby's?).

Which do you ladies recommend? Which do you like? Which do you hate?

Also, I should add that my DH is getting a Diaper Dude for when he's "on duty".

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Kira
Baby #1 due January 7, 2005

lilarkk
10-26-2004, 12:11 AM
Well as a diaper bag and purse 'junkie', I sympathize totally.

Currently, the 2 bags I use most of the time are:
Loom Marsupial
WW - 3 Peas in a Pod size

My WW bag stays packed in my car with extra diaper/pullups and clothes for my kids. My Marsupial goes with me everywhere. I love this bag. I'm looking for a backpack now, but I can't say enough about the Loom. I've had a Fleurville A7, but it was too floppy for me. However, others love that back. It's just a matter of preference.

I've had friend's who swear by the Lands End bags. Plus, they have the lifetime guarantee, so you can't beat that. As far as Sally Spicer or ISM, I'd probably go with ISM since you can customized it to your liking (and it comes in a backpack).

HTH
Good luck with your search. Hopefully Mariana will be able to help you out further, she's the Queen of Diaper Bags! :D

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
10-26-2004, 12:50 AM
I also love my Loom Marsupial - my all time fave so far. (Also, didn't like Alpha 7 because of floppiness - just not for me). I also like the Timi and Leslie Large Bebe Bag- great patterns and a little more stylish. Sorry, I can't help with the one's on your list, but I'm sure others will have more input! Have fun deciding!

nan
10-26-2004, 03:25 PM
As for monogramming ... IMO, get either your initials or your last initial. If it's an LE bag, it will definitely last through more kids (who can think of such things?). And once you're post-diaper bag stage (it will last that long!), you'll still be able to use it for other purposes.
I'm on kid #3 (due in Feb) and am re-assessing my diaper bag sitch ... have had only "fully functional" to this point and am feeling the need to branch out, so I would lean towards one of the more "personality" bags. That might just be due to hormones, though, and God knows, what I like today will do nothing for me in a few weeks :-).

Khralvarez
10-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks this is very helpful re:the monogramming. I had been leaning towards just doing my initials, but then a co-worker insisted that it had to be the baby's name/initials, and so I was just double checking to make sure I wasn't crazy (in wanting *my* initials) on the bag. Thanks for the reassurance!

ckleist
10-26-2004, 03:59 PM
I've got the LE large tailored tote, and it is a big bag, good for all day outings w/ more than 1 kid. I actually used it as an overnight bag for me and my 18 month old and it fit all our stuff. I wouldn't get the small tailored tote, it is just too small to hold your stuff + baby's. I ended up returning the small. I didn't know they had a medium size one until I read your post and checked out their site. The med would probably be a good size to get, my only gripe is that the straps are not long enough to wear comfortable on your shoulder to have your hands free, but I'm a backpack person and having free hands is a must for me. I personally wouldn't get it monogrammed, but I would do yours and not baby's if you plan on having more kids.

I've heard Sally Spicer bags tend to be floppy, but have no experience. Personally, I'd go w/ lesser expensive bags until you have your baby and see what you're needs are.

HTH
Cheryl

nan
10-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Unless your baby is a herculean genius, he/she probably will not be:
a)carrying the tote
b)reading his/her initials on the tote

Now don't get me wrong, maybe it's just my kids who weren't ready for such impressive feats! Maybe your co-worker took gingko beloba during pregnancy and was able to create such offspring ...
Also, what if you change your mind about the baby's name, or it's not the gender you expected (if you found out)? Or you're like me and my hubby (we're surprise-baby people) ... at least 2 full names for each gender, and you name the kid once it shows up and have gotten a good eyeball!

Seriously, though, once you're sucked fully into Mommyhood, nothing really seems like it's yours. It's nice to have things that you connect with (as you've probably noticed from this board ... you'do what you gotta do to feel good about the hauling factor of motherhood!)

shamrock
10-26-2004, 09:40 PM
You'll love the Skip Hop!

Definately go with your initials on the bag, that way you won't feel funny using it after this baby has outgrown it.

I wish I had advice on a second bag. I'm still trying to figure out what I want!