PDA

View Full Version : Need help looking for a Backpack!!!!

lilarkk
10-26-2004, 12:44 PM
I know many people have had questions in regards to this, but most moms pack heavier than I do. I have 3 kids, 2 in diapers. So I'm looking for a backpack to accomodate my 2 in diapers. I normally use my Marsupial, but sometimes, I just want my hands free!

Here's what I pack on a regular basis:

3-Size 1 diapers
2-pullups
Pampers wipes case
1- 3-6 mos outfit
1- shirt for my 2yo
nasal aspirator
infant Tylenol
comb
1 pr socks
hat
Watermelon clutch
sunglasses
Advil

I had looked at the Bandicoot and am wanting one badly. (I was going to buy one from the Babybags group but it fell through :( ) I've also looked at the T&L backpack, but is it too floppy? I've had an A7, but that was way too floppy for me. I like a more structured bag, like the Loom. How do the WW backpacks hold up? I know Kim mentioned that she loved the sling backpack she was making. Hmmm.

I'm having a hard time NOT buying anything at this moment. I just don't want a huge bag to carry around.

Please help!!!!

Thanks!

Heather

Mom to Noah, Kiersten and Hutch!

reseam
10-26-2004, 01:09 PM
I currently have a NWT Black/Moss Bandicoot FS listed on the babybags board. If you want any more information you can email me at [email protected]

Good luck in your search!

Reseam
Mommy to Kayla Elizabeth
and Joshua Alan
TTC #3

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy
10-26-2004, 02:17 PM
What about a Chester? I favor the structure of my Marsupial, but the Chester works really well when you want your hands free. It fits very well on the back and it is super light. It is not big, but it holds just as much if not more than my Marsupial. I have 2 in diapers as well. I am tempted by the Bandicoot, too - love the 2 outside pockets. But, I know that it doesn't hold as much and it is not made specifically to be just a backpack. I think that when bags have dual ways to wear them (ala Alpha 7, PPB), they often don't make the greatest backpacks. JMO. The organization is not as great as the Marsupial, but I find it works just fine for me. I would suggest getting one off of the sale page if you find one that you like. (1/2 price!) Or check the swap, I think Mariana has one on there for a great price.

http://www.chesterhandbags.com/

HTH

lilarkk
10-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks Gretchen! I'll have to check to Chester out. Does anyone have an interior pic of this bag? Mariana? Also, does anyone have a pic of them wearing the Bandicoot as a backpack? I know there is a pic on the Loom website, but to see a real person wearing the bag, might be helpful.

Thanks!

Heather

Mom to:
Noah, Kiersten and Hutch

10-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Here are some pics I took a while back. I have since changed my organization a bit and I usually put all my Mommy stuff in the outside pocket. Let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=10609&mesg_id=10609&listing_type=search

soexcited
10-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi Heather,

I have a "Posh Baby" diaper bag listed for sale on the Babybags group. The style is similar to Petunia Pickle Bottom, except that the changing pad isn't attached to the bag. It was really important to me to have my hands free, that's why a backpack/messenger was the style I went for.

-Lisa

lilarkk
10-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Gretchen,

Thanks for the pictures. Just one quick question, how are the straps when wearing this? Do they cut into you when the bag is packed? They just look uncomfortable, is this true? If the straps are ok then great, but as for right now, the search still continues. I'm also eyeing the LLBean microfiber backpack mentioned here on the boards, however, they are out of stock until Nov. Time will tell.

Do you know how the Kecci's compare, or are they too big?

10-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Heather,
Personally, I find the straps very comfortable. I haven't had them cut in on me at all (I guess that they hit me in the right place). Even though they are not padded, like traditional backpacks, this has not been an issue for me. I think the Chester definitely has a cute/fun look as opposed to the ruggedness of some diaper bag backpacks. I am considering a Kecci as well, but will probably use it messenger style, rather than backpack style. For me I can't just have one all-purpose bag anymore! I have to say that I don't use the Chester daily, as I still prefer my Marsupial or T& L Large Bebe on a daily basis. But, when I need to be totally hands-free it does work well. I'm not sure if the lack of organization would bother me if I used it all the time. That could be an issue. Decisions, decisions!!

ckleist
10-27-2004, 09:26 PM
I think the straps on the chester backpack are very comfortable, so far it's the best backpack style bag I've found, but still in search of the perfect bag!

I was considering getting the LL Bean because of the rave reviews it has gotten here, but I'm not that thrilled w/ the way it looks, especially the messenger flap, I think I would find that annoying because I'm assuming that's where my stuff would be. Anyway, I found another backpack that is about the same size as the LL Bean, has a light colored interior, and I think is slightly cheaper.

http://www.ellingtonleather.com/search_detail.lasso?-token.product_type=Backpack&-token.skip=12

They also have another style that I think was shown in last months Parenting magazine:

http://www.ellingtonleather.com/search_detail.lasso?-token.product_type=Backpack&-token.skip=7

Someone on yahoo's babybag group had one of their totes and gave it a good review.

jendalymd
10-28-2004, 01:18 AM
Hi,
I just wanted to chime in. I also wanted to downsize to a smaller backpack diaper bag. (I already have a Mothership and a Petunia Picklebottom Boxy backpack and a Coach diaper bag.)
Today I found at North Face a small backpack that appears to be ideal for "daily in and out of the house type trips." It is called the Pandora II. It is smallish with extremely comfy straps and a nice padded back. It is small, but I can fit quite a bit into it including my padded changing pad from my mothership, my wipes container, 2 (size 4) diapers, a Nuby sippy cup, 2 bibs, spoon, a single serving applesauce, small ziploc of crackers, and medium size wallet, and eye drops all in the main compartment. Then I can squeeze in my tiny wallet, cellphone, keys and calendar in the front pocket. And when I wear it, I can barely feel it. So far, I am loving it! Plus it didn't cost nearly as much as my other bags. I figure it is my version of a backpack "escape pod", but bigger, so it can actually hold a bottle, etc.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?productId=438

good luck,
cheers,
Jennifer
mom to Ryan 08/10/03

lilarkk
10-28-2004, 02:38 AM
I'm with you on the LL Bean and the flap. I think it would frustrate me. I'm liking this ellington backpack/tote. I wonder what it's like inside, organization-wise. I looked at the sketch on the website, but it's not completely helpful. But I guess beggars can't be choosers, or can we? I might just have to order this bag and see.

Still, the search continues..........sigh

ckleist
10-28-2004, 07:09 PM
I just ordered the ellington perfect travel bag thru ebags...I found a 10% off coupon w/ free shipping at this link: http://247malls.com/GO/mall/topcoupons.htm

I also found this cute (and cheap) backpack purse that I ordered as well...it got good reviews on the site and it is a girly color and a departure from black (but also comes in black). The interior lining is pink, so there won't be a black hole effect:
http://www.ebags.com/del_mano/signature_backpack/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=41128

I think ebags also has free return shipping, so I figured if I didn't like the bags, I wouldn't be out any money. At the very least, if they don't work out as a diaper bag, I need to replace my leather backpack purse because one of the straps keeps coming undone and falls off my shoulder, very annoying.

lilarkk
10-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Will you post pictures and a review when you get the Ellington and the pink bag? The Ellington is really grabbing my attention, however, the Bandicoot still remains on my mind. Good thing there is another co-op coming soon.

ckleist
10-29-2004, 12:28 AM
According to ebags, I should get the bags by 11/5. Once I get them, I'll post some pics. I really really wanted the Bandicoot, but ruled it out based on some of the reviews. It sounds like you either love it or hate it backpack style, and I don't think I would be real comfortable w/ the joey just hanging from the back...I wonder how easy it would be to pick off, especially if you,re busy w/ 2 kids.