PDA

View Full Version : Mothership - do I really need this much space?!

NYSarah
10-28-2004, 02:11 PM
My sister-in-law surprised me with the Fleurville Mothership (she said she wanted to get a present for me instead of just for the baby :-) ) and I love it (although I can't see how it can be worn messenger style, which is disappointing), but it seems so huge! Am I really going to need so much room in my diaper bag? I had already gotten the Kathy Van Zeeland Perfect Mom Messenger which is a bit smaller, and I still am going to probably pick up a Skip Hop or something else DH can carry. Will the Mothership make sense as a part of my diaper bag arsenal? thanks!

Chelsey333
10-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I say definitely! When I had my first son, I had a Kate Spade medium bag. Every time I visited family I had to take 2 diaper bags bec I didn't have enough room for a blanket, some toys, bottles, extra clothes, etc. Having a big bag comes in so handy for visiting people. I always take a nice blanket with me to visit people, so I can lie baby down on the floor if I want too. Plus you might have a spitty baby. My 2nd son is so spitty, that I can go thru 3 outfits in an hour! I put bibs on him, but somehow he manages to spit up so much that it will hit his sleeve or his leg. A big bag is also great for going off for the day. Even if I just had my 2 year old, I would still love my Mothership. With a 2 year old, I still need an extra outfit and it is nice to have a sweatshirt in bag if we are visiting people. Good luck and congratulations!

DeborahM
10-29-2004, 01:19 AM
Yes, I agree - keep the mothership!! You just need a lot of stuff for infants -- initially LOTS of diapers and extra outfits (spit-ups, then blowouts...), then at around 4 months you start adding food (if you're not bottle-feeding), sippy cups, and toys.......

Having lots of room for extra outfits, a receiving blanket, and toys is really useful. Also, the changing pad is really cushy -- something I really like having for an infant. I have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 3 mth old. I use this when I'm taking one or both out. If I've got both out for half a day or longer, then I also bring a second bag with a complete change of clothes for each and extra diapers.

I usually carry the following for both (it's really packed!)
3 size 3 diapers
2 size 5 diapers/pullups
wipes
large wallet
wristlet w/ my lipstick
cosmetic bag w/ infant tylenol, suction bulb, hand lotion, etc.
small box of crayons
notepad (for toddler)
several small toys in the bottom
cell phone
2 different kind of sippy cups (DS HAS to bring everything!)
coupon booklet
quart-size ziplock bag filled with snacks for toddler
burp cloth
extra onesie
extra tshirt
socks (for Gymboree)
receiving blanket folded on top of everything

Deborah
Mom to Thomas and baby Rachel

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/img] ([img)
3 months and counting

Chelsey333
10-29-2004, 09:31 AM
Oh yeah, how could I forget those diaper blowouts!! My ds had one a day no matter where we were. I have washed his carseat padding a million times bec the blowouts go right thru to the carseat.

NYSarah
10-29-2004, 01:21 PM
thanks so much, guys! I think I will be finding myself a few months from now cramming this thing tight and thinking "how on earth did I ever think this darn thing could be too big!" ;-)

I think I do need to line up a small bag for running short errands (or even just keep a bag of stuff permanently in the car for that), can't see hauling the mothership on a 20 minute run to the post office and grocer's. But I guess I will find out!

anyway, thanks again -- I *do* love the mothership, it just seemed so....big! glad to hear I'll be making good use of it (in fact, I think I'm going to pack it to use as my L&D bag, so I can find out what fits in there sooner than later!)

masetane
10-30-2004, 11:11 AM
i would say i am a medium packer. the space inside the mothership was absolutely great but I found it VERY awkward to carry around this size bag. I think because it was such a stiff/hard bag - no give to it whatsoever. It just felt really weird, like I was carrying a box!! ha ha I did see a blue chocolate in a store and it seemed more "flexible" than the Indigo one I had.
Caroline
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ma.gif
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

Chelsey333
10-30-2004, 12:35 PM
It must just be the indigo one that is stiff, bec mine (blue choc) is really flexible - even floppy. Maybe that's why they don't make indigo anymore?

masetane
10-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Debbie - I do wonder about that b/c really, my indigo didn't really give much. A box is the best way I could describe it but maybe it just had to be broken in. But the blue choc i saw in hannna anderson was nice and squishy. Of course, now i am finding i need something littel with an almost 2 year old and a 4 year old. Where did my babies go that I don't really need a diaper bag??? WAH!!!!!!!!
Caroline
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ma.gif
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

NYSarah
10-31-2004, 04:09 PM
I have to agree on the floppiness -- mine is blue chocolate and it seems pretty flexible, although the bottom of the bag is still pretty structured.

My only real problem with the bag is that if I put it on messenger style (I don't really like shoulder bags) the bag is right up under my armpit! I'm way too tall for it, really...but I'll live with using it shoulder style, and when I add a smaller messenger style eventually I will be sure to try it on in person!