PDA

View Full Version : Lighter bags, preferably backpacks, maybe nylon?

MamaKath
11-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Okay I have majorly scaled down on what is in my diaper bag, and after living with it for a couple weeks (can't be that long can it?) I am liking the less stuff. I think I would still like to go with a backpack, but maybe more of a purse styled bag. Really light, possibly with organization, not huge, none of the vinyl since that is what keeps turning me off to some of the highly recommended bags (I love the T&L's but hate the coating). ;-) I feel like I am almost on the wagon, lol. Oh and definitely not more than 60-70$.

For those wondering what I switched to, I am using the LE Canvas small tote. It is actually perfect as long as I have back up "stuff" in the car like clothes, dipes, wipes and toys. Working pretty well overall though, and I love the fact that my stuff and the kids stuff is seperate, great when I am looking for something, but still enough room on my side for my water bottle, wallet, phone, etc.

TIA~

Smiles81
11-04-2004, 11:16 AM
How about the chester nylon backpack. It is on their sale page for $60.
http://www.chesterhandbags.com/default.asp
If you are willing to forgo (sp?) a backpack, you should look into a timbuk2 messenger, I have one and love it. It stays on me really well and keeps mom and baby stuff seperate even without the custom divider. HTH
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

twizzli
11-05-2004, 01:10 PM
I ordered the ebags 3 way urban messenger for myself for work/school and I think it would work really well as a diaper bag. It is extremely lightweight. the website has pretty good pics, but let me know if you want any other details.

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/urban_explorer_3_way_convertible/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=20340

Emmas Mom
11-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Can you carry it over your shoulder??

ETA: Is it not available anymore? Cause I cannot find it on their website.

MamaKath
11-06-2004, 09:10 AM
I am thinking you mean the small LE Tote. :-) I can. I like it, it is very purse like. I had mine monogrammed with my initial and it looks pretty classy without being cheap or cheesy like some of the initial bags I have been seeing lately. I really am able to carry a lot in it too. I packed it ful last night with a ton; 1 side had in it- kids stuff including 2 size 6 dipes, wipes pack, mini magna doodle, 4 crayons, small note pad, 2 packs of snack pretzels, 2 Munchkin sippy cups, 2 granola bars, a couple of dum-dum lollipops; the other side had my stuff in it- digital camera, cell phone, wristlet wallet, small cosmetic bag, tiny book (one of those little New Testament Bibles), a couple pens, and my medicine. It has helped me scale down partly due to the items being seperate, it is helping me figure out what I use and what I don't kwim? As for going over the shoulder, yes it does. I am a big girl, and am not quite sure how it will be in the winter over a coat (I will try it out in the next few days though if it is helpful). I can also try to get dh to snap a couple pictures of it on my shoulder later. I know Latia posted photos of the small black one on her shoulder awhile back also. She is quite slim, so I really wasn't sure how it would work out for me, but I am liking it. This is the one that I purchased http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,1467,2_17273_17281_53982_110258_88705_,00.html?s id=0932005999077140560&CM_MERCH=PAGE_53982 which worked out to be less than $20 even monogrammed. I am really very happy with it for that price! I will also be able to use it for many years past baby and toddlerhood as a purse.

HTH~

MamaKath
11-06-2004, 09:14 AM
I keep coming back to this one for a variety of reasons also. :-) I am not sure it is right for what I need now, but I was thinking of getting it as a SkipHop alternative. It has the loops for the shoulder straps and I came up with a "universal" attachment system for my strollers (though it would work perfectly on my pegs with just carabiners, hmmmmm) that would work well for it. I was thinking about this last night when I was awake in the middle of the night and wishing they had other colors though. Maybe I need to just order it to try. Need to find some Ebags discount coupons to completely justify it. ;-)

MamaKath
11-06-2004, 09:28 AM
I have a bunch of messengers, I don't think they are what I am looking for right now. I am not overly fond of the T2s for smaller bags, though I love their bigger bags. Maybe I should "retry" my messenger bags though.

That chester nylon is cute though. I love some of the new patterns they came out with too, but dh would flip if I spent that much!!! Debating if I can carry off the pink stripe. A friend suggested I hit the purse department in some nicer stores (ooh a trip to the mall!! ;-) sounds like I might need too) and see what I could find also.

MamaKath
11-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Responding to the folks above, I started wondering this. I know in the summer a backpack is great. The suggestion of messenger bags made me wonder if that would be easier with coats. I wear pretty heavy coats if it is cold, though I am still just in sweatshirts at this point. Any thoughts??

Emmas Mom
11-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Yes, that's the one I was referring to. Thanks for the link. I did a search for it on their site & it didn't come up for some reason. I've been thinking along your lines lately too so I always like what you have to say. ;) I'm using the LE LT lately or my Kecci but I also have a backpack purse for me & was hoping to consolidate the two (mine & DD's), at least some of the time. I wish the LE tote came is a solid dark color. I wonder if our Sears has them. Maybe I will have to check! :)

twizzli
11-06-2004, 07:42 PM
For ebags coupons you can check out:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=384270&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ebags
You have to try them and see if it still works.

I actually used a coupon from dannon yogurt...but it may be expired
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=302323&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ebags

MamaKath
11-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Our Sears did have the black microfiber small tote. I didn't get it for a couple reasons. It always looked too small, and so I wasn't sure I could then stomach the 30$ for a too small bag, lol. I also am not a girl who LOVES black in my wardrobe, it isn't me. I am glad if this is helpful though. I forgot to have dh take a picture though, we went out, and I actually switched bags for the day. I'll try to remember (or get my 5 year old to try and take a picture;-))tomorrow if it helps. I am glad I have been helpful to someone, so often I still feel clueless myself (blushing). :-)