PDA

View Full Version : Alpha 7 vs. Loom Marsupial

mommabear
11-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I will be a first time mom in March. I will be a stay at home mom and am trying to decide on a diaper bag. I have narrowed it down to the A7 or the Marsupial, as I'm not one to carry a huge bag and plan to keep extra baby stuff in my car. I know the A7 is being redesigned in Jan. I have a few questions.

1. is the A7 a comfy backpack? I will prob only carry it as such on rare occasion
2. can the marsupial be carried as a backpack?
3. how long is the strap on the Marsupial?
4. do they attach ok to a stroller?

I have read about co ops. Are there any comming up for these items? How do I check on it?
Thanks Mommabear

lilarkk
11-04-2004, 09:12 PM
I've had both the A7 and the Marsupial, I've since sold the A7.

While I had the A7, I used it only as a messenger bag, because it seemed weird to me as a backpack. JMHO, though.

The Loom is strictly a messenger bag, if you want the backpack, you might want to try the Bandicoot.

I haven't measured the strap length on the Loom, however it is adjustable. Some don't think the strap is long enough to wear messenger style, however I'm 5'7", average build and can wear it fine. (I just wear it across my back, then the bag doesn't hit things)

As for the stroller, both bags fit over my stroller handles well.

In the end, I would recommend the Loom, but others tend to like the A7. There are several postings on these 2, you may want to do a search on these to see the comments.

I would highly recommend trying to get in a co-op, because you can't beat the prices in the co-ops. The only problem is that once you start, it's so hard to stop!
Currently there is a loom co-op until the 8th, so if you want in, hurry up!

HTH! And congratulations on your pregnancy and upcoming baby! Motherhood is amazing!

heatherlynn
11-04-2004, 10:05 PM
i had an a7 and i also sold it because it wasn't comfortable as a backpack for me either. i also found that i couldn't pack everything that i wanted to into it, but i don't pack well, i admit.

h-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

windyhamilton
11-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi Mommabear!

I don't have either, but I wanted to give you the link to the babybags group in case you decide you want in on the Loom co-op. The ladies on that board can help you with all of your questions as well. HTH! :o)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/

Congratulations!!

Windy

josiebruin
11-07-2004, 03:43 PM
I ended up deciding between those 2 bags as well & went with the A7 - I LOVE it! After seeing both IRL, I felt the Loom was a little too stiff and big - I thought it looked very much like a diaper bag. Also, I found it uncomfortable as a messenger bag even with the strap in its longest position (I am 5'7" & small-ish build). The A7 strap works a lot better for me and think it works well as a backpack too. I can fit everything I need for my 2 month old (I too am a light-ish packer). My only complaints so far is that it is a little front-heavy and I haven't figured out a great way to attach it to my stroller (a Inglesina Zippy - similar in style to a PP P3), but I did see a posting re putting caribiners on the stroller and attaching the bag by the strap rings (vs. by the straps). I haven't tried this yet, but am considering adding a Skip Hop bag anyway (it attaches PERFECTLY and is a little more "masculine" - or so my husband says!). I got my A7 in a coop thru the yahoo baby bags group, but they recently changed the qualifications for participating in coops. Good luck!

Chelsey333
11-07-2004, 07:31 PM
I have had both and like both of them. I wear the A7 as a backpack all the time, it is currently my favorite bag. Sometimes I find it uncomfortable if I have it stuffed pretty full. I think when it is really stuffed, the seam on the bottom of the bag can dig into your back. I usually just keep it on my back for a short amount of time, so it is not a big problem. I haven't found a good way to attach the A7 to the stroller, I usually put it in the basket - but other moms have clipped it using hooks. The Marsupial can not be worn as a backpack. It can be worn messenger style, but a lot of people feel the strap is too short for it. But my husband is 6'2" and he wore it messenger style when I was in the hospital, and he looked fine carrying it. I think both bags are great for having a newborn. The A7 can fit a little bit more stuff. I like the outside look of the A7 better than the Marsupial. But I like the interior better of the Marsupial than the A7. Good Luck!