PDA

View Full Version : Question for owners of a Floppy Seat or sewcuteboutique cart cover

eb1
11-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi,

I posted this question a couple weeks ago and didn't get any responses (to the actual question that is--just some additional cart cover recommendations). I'm in the market for a shopping cart cover, and I've narrowed my choices to the new blue Floppy Seat or a cover by Cathy at SewCuteBoutique. One of my concerns is the size of the cart leg openings--I don't know why I'm so hung up on this, but I don't want the leg openings to be so oversized that my child can still come in contact, one way or another, with the cart (otherwise, what's the point of the cover?).

Anyway, can someone who owns the Floppy Seat tell me how large the leg holes are? (If you could measure them, roughly, that would be ideal.) I can't see this in person, as BRU is a good hour's drive.

And for those who own a sewcuteboutique cover, do the leg holes seem on the large side? On the website, the leg holes look HUGE. Can/does your child touch the cart (either with legs or putting hands through) because of the large leg holes?

Am I overthinking this too much?

Thanks!!

asha
11-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Hi,
I own a floppy seat and am pretty happy with it. Yes, the leg holes are pretty big. I am at work right now and cannot measure it (from what I remember, they are about 6 X 4 inches).
I am sure my son's legs do touch the cart sometimes. However, I really dont care about it. Personally I think you are overthinking it.

For me, the reason for getting a floppy seat was to make sure, DS does not get the germs in his mouth. I dont want him to be able to touch the cart with his hands. 'coz his hands are always in his mouth for some reason (he does not suck his thumb, still). That objective can be acheived with the floppy seat. With the leg holes being large, his thighs might come in contact with the cart, that cannot go in his mouth directly. Yeah, he can touch his thighs and put his hands in his mouth, but I am not that particualr about it. I have not seen DS put his hands and touch the cart that is exposed around his legs. THere are too many interesting things around him, so he never bothers about the leg hole.

Anyways, that is my personal opinion. Hope this helps.

btw, TRU also sells floppy seats now. So does Right Start, if you have one of those closeby. I got a coupon from teh rightstart website and got the floppy seat for 5$ less. YOu dont really need to drive to BRU anymore.

~Asha
mom to Akshay (1st birthday this sunday!!!)

jkabopenguins
11-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi! I was just coming on here to post a question about which seat cover to get. I do not think you are "over thinking" the leg hole thing. I am so germ phobic and would have thought of the same thing!! I just wanted you to know that you are not alone!!
--Jen :)

Emmas Mom
11-10-2004, 11:01 PM
I know the covers from Cathy (sewcuteboutique) are smaller cause I had both of those & I compared them. I don't have the Floppy Seat anymore so I can't measure, sorry. But I agree with the one PP who said you may be overthinking a bit. ;) Even if your DC's legs touch the cart, I don't think he/she will be sticking his legs in his mouth (sorry, don't know if you have a DD or DS). For me, it was the not touching the cart with her hands that I was worried about.

Another idea is to e-mail Cathy. Tell her your concerns & you can probably have her make smaller leg holes for you. She's great to work with & very accomodating. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time someone's asked that. :)

eb1
11-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks (and thanks to the two PPs, also!)! This is helpful--particularly your comparison of the two covers.

Cathy had emailed me that the leg openings of her covers are 4 x 6", which seems big, but maybe she'd be willing to reduce them even slightly, like to 4 x 5".

I am, like one of the PPs, a germ-a-phobe, not so much for me, but when it comes to my DS; I probably just need to get over it. As he gets older (he's 8 months), I'm sure I'll relax.

I think I'll just go with a cover from Cathy and be done with it!

Thanks again!