PDA

View Full Version : Disney and Back: a Diaper Bag's Tale

lmariana
11-17-2004, 11:33 PM
I've been meaning to post this for a while! We recently went to Disney World, and I wanted to give my 2 cents about the diaper bag decision(s) I made.

I ended up taking TWO diaper bags total, and I used only one. I took my Bubble Gum Skip Hop and my red Timbuk2 Metro. After the first day, I left the Timbuk2 in the hotel and just put its contents into clear Ziploc bags, for easier pass through security.

I added a Timbuk2 Strap Pad to the Skip Hop for extra padding, and LOVED IT! I highly recommend the Strap Pad to anyone who wears their Skip Hop!

On an average day, the Skip Hop held:
1 diaper
1 pack wipes
1 bib
1 book
1 sippy cup
1 bottle
2 toys
1 Snack Trap
Video Camera
Digital Camera
Cell Phone
Wrist Bag (wallet)
Mommy stuff (sunglasses, powder, hairbrush, lotion, pill case, etc)
Baby Stuff (motrin, teething tablets, kipiis, etc)

The Timbuk2 Metro stayed in the basket and held:
5 diapers
Pack of wipes
Rash Cream
Change of clothes

Other Stroller Basket Contents: (Zooper Zydeco 90%, Inglesina Zippy 10%)
Sunscreen
Rain cover (one day)
Jackets for chilly nights (a couple days)

Here's how it worked:
I'd load up the Skip Hop for the day and attach it to the stroller. The "diaper change kit" went in the basket. When we parked the stroller for an attraction, I unhooked the Skip Hop, attached the shoulder strap, and left behind any heavy water bottles/etc that I knew we wouldn't need. That way, I had all my valuables (cameras, wallet, etc) with me at all times, but I wasn't carrying 6 diapers all the time either.
If we were just making a quick potty stop, I would leave the stroller and bag with my hubby and take the baby and diaper change Ziploc into the bathroom. However, Disney has great Baby Stations, so I'd take the whole SH in for that.
For dining, I'd take in the whole SH and leave the extra diapers and stuff in the stroller.

My Synopsis:
For this stage, the Skip Hop was the perfect size for our needs! Gabe is on whole milk, so no formula needed, just his trusty sippy cup. We're also Disney veterans, so we really knew how to pack and what to expect. Staying on property makes things so much easier, because you're pretty much 5-20 minutes from your room at any given time. Adding the strap pad, made the bag feel lighter! I call this a MUST HAVE if you plan to carry a fully loaded SH for more than 10 minutes. I had all the essentials with me at all times, but didn't feel overloaded with stuff at all.

My Critiques:
A water-proof bag is always a plus. We only had one day of rain, but a nice vinyl bag would have been very welcomed. I considered taking a backpack, which would have been very handy for attractions, but I decided against it, because it wouldn't have been as easy to access the contents while walking around, which is what we do 75% of the time anyhow. The Skip Hop's organization is just awesome, and let's you find anything very quickly without having to open any flaps or snaps.

Stroller-wise, I was most pleased with the Zydeco. We brought the Zippy to use on days we had to ride the buses (Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom), but we were really unhappy with the manufacturer defects the Zippy had. The Zooper was a dream!!! Especially since our hotel was walking distance to Epcot and MGM, so no stroller folding needed. ;)

I feel like this is a pretty choppy review, so feel free to post questions!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

audball
11-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Mariana! Your post is really helpful. We carried a Timbuk2 Medium Messenger and a SkipHop on an 8-hour drive and then a cross-country flight and found both of them to be great. Something about the size and accessibility in both that made packing diaper bag items, toys, and food really easy (we have a toddler and an infant)! We did the same thing - used the Skip Hop for the de-planing and the messenger to hold water bottles and larger items. We also carried blankets, extra clothes, etc.

Glad to know that both bags can make it through an amusement park and last all day :)!

bnme
11-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks for this post! We are leaving for WDW in a few weeks and I am still trying to figure everything out. I hadn't thought of the video/camera situation and they won't fit in the diaper bag I planned on using - I like th idea of the one bag holding all the import stuff, but with extras in the basket. I will have 2 strollers so I should be able to figure something out. My biggest concern are the valuables since we wil be with 6 other adults and the strollers will likely be changing hands often.

Hmmm. back to the drawing board.

BTW, how did your little one like WDW? Any tips?

lmariana
11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
We had a really good time in WDW. It was actually Gabe's 4th trip! I think he's seen Mickey more than his pediatrician. :)

Tips...
-Catch the fireworks or parades the first couple days of your visit, so you're not trying to squeeze it in at the end of the trip when everyone's wiped out
-Plan your whole day ahead! Talk about 3-4 attractions you really want to do ahead of time. If you do those and nothing else, it's okay, because you did what you really wanted to do.
-Have at least one nice sit-down meal a day (if budget permits), but make priority seating first! Call 407-WDW-DINE to make Priority Seating reservations, it will make things a lot easier. You can even do this now, from home. Some of our favorite haunts are: 50's Prime Time Cafe in MGM, Sci-Fi Dine-In at MGM, Le Cellier in Epcot, Spoodles on the Boardwalk, O'hana Character Breakfast at the Polynesian, and for any little Princesses in the group BOOK NOW for the Princess Character Breakfast at Restaurant Akershus in Epcot. You'll also have a good time at: The Garden Grill in Epcot, The nightly Luau at the Polynesian, and the Coral Reef in Epcot...a full huge wall of aquarium!
-Try not do do more than one park a day
-Take advantage of the Baby Care Centers in each park
-Definitely ride Aerosmith Rockin' Roller Coaster and the Tower of Terror (without the little ones)!
-Don't overpack for the parks. You can buy water, milk, diapers, baby food, sunscreen, batteries...etc all in the parks for a little more than you'd pay back home. So, if you forget something, you can probably get it there.
-If you buy anything during the day, Disney will can have all your purchases delivered to the front gate for easy pick-up at the end of the day. If you stay on property, they will deliver straight to your room. Either way, you don't have to carry it around with you all day.
-Bring a raincover for your strollers!

Anyhow, I could go on and on! We love visiting Disney! We go several times a year and are now Annual pass holders, which also gets use great hotel and dining deals. If you are friends/family with a Cast Member, they get 50% off lodging and select dining. :)

I have a great book I can loan you if you want! It reviews all the dining, attractions and hotels in Disney and rates them based on cost, quality, and child-friendliness. Let me know, I'd be happy to send it your way!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

kelly ann
11-18-2004, 11:26 AM
We went to WDW a few weeks ago and our Skip Hop worked great as well. We had a small soft cooler in the basket for the milk since DS is still on soy milk. I just am still in love with this bag! I always feel so streamlined with it...especially when I saw so many other parents at WDW with stuff hanging out of the basket and a big bulky diaper bag draped over the stroller handles.

bnme
11-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Mariana,

Thanks for the tips!

We are going with a bunch of people so I am definetly planning ahead as much as possible. In addition to my 22mo and 4 mo we will also be with a 16yo, 8yo, 5yo, and 2yo so it should be interesting. We are already booked for the O'hana Character Breakfast at the Polynesian & Mickey's Xmas Party.

Thanks for the offer on the book loaner, but I actually have several guide books including 2 "Unofficial guides", a Beirenbaums (sp), and a Frommers. My parents are also DVC owners (we are staying at Old Key West) so they know the parks very well.

One question: the stroller rain cover

Didn't even think of that! Where do you buy them? Are some better then others? Are they stroller-specific? Do you just toss it in the stroller basket? I am the furtherest from a stroller diva (the strollers I am bringing are a Gracos-Metrolite & Citilite) and know nothing about them!

Thanks so much! Can't wait to get there already!

lmariana
11-18-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm so glad you're parents are DVC members! They will really know their way around. I've heard Old Key West is really pretty, enjoy!

Most of my strollers included their own raincover with purchase, but I've also seen some at www.babycenter.com that are "universal" stroller covers. I think they're under $25 or so, definitely worth the money! We just kept ours in the basket on days where there was a likelihood of rain. We only had to use it once out of 7 days, but it was SO great to have!!! The other stroller-pushing parents will look at you with great envy. :)

I hope you have a wonderful trip!!! It will be so fun! Take lots of photos!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Join the Babybags Swap group! http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/join

Momof3Labs
11-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the review, Mariana! Glad that you had a nice trip! I've narrowed down what we're doing for Disney, and definitely planned to pack one smaller bag with the valuables and bare necessities to take with us on rides (backpack seems like a pain since you need to move it to sit down) and one with "expendable" stuff to leave in the stroller (so if it got stolen, oh well). We're stuck carrying a cooler with milk, too, since Colin is lactose intolerant.

I was debating between the LT and SH (I really like the size/shape of the LT better) plus will probably put a backpack under the stroller to make it easier to hold onto when we get on the bus. But I love how the SH can hold OUR drinks! So maybe it will be the LT and the SH. Oh, decisions decisions...

MamaKath
11-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Glad to see you back! I have missed seeing your posts, and hearing your perspective on things. :-) Glad the trip went well (with the diaper bags at least) but what a bummer that the Zippy did not work out for you.

I actually do have a question to. ;-) I am wondering if the velcro on the SkipHop bugs you? I am torn between this and the Kecci and this is one of my biggest hang ups on the SH. Thanks!

lmariana
11-18-2004, 10:12 PM
The Skip Hop velcro actually does not bother me at all. I never even notice it! That's just me though, I don't actually reach in to the bag a lot. Most of the stuff I use is in the exterior or zippered pockets. :)

I had quite a few quality issues with my Kecci...broken zipper, snags, very floppy, low-quality interior. The company was very nice and replaced my Kecci because of the broken zipper, but I can't get past the floppiness. The interior pockets have no form at all, and I had a tough time getting things organized in there. But hey, it's only $37!

The Skip Hop rocks the organization world! I am LOVING the new denim bag, and I look forward to any new designs Skip Hop creates. I think the price difference is worth the better quality, in my opinion.

I've actually posted my Bubble Gum Skip Hop for sale on Babybags, since I now have the cute denim. So if anyone's looking for a good deal, check that out!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

MariFP
11-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the reviews Mariana!!
We are going Dec. 1st to WDW and I haven't thought about the bag yet.
I am getting the Kecci on the co-op if I know that before I would get the SH. Where do I find this one? Do you have on your store?
I will check it out right away.
Kind of OT here but we are staying at one of the All Stars hotel for 4 days. Any suggestions of which parks to go first? Last time I went was 12 years ago and I loved MK and I would give 1.5-2 days just for this park.
Thanks again!

bnme
11-20-2004, 08:42 AM
I highly reccomend Animal Kingdom. I have never personally been there with kids but its a great park and I think great for the kids. My young nephew loves it, hes 5 now but has been there the past 2 or 3 years in a row. Are you doing the Mickey Christmas Party? I have never been there for that but I hear it is not to be missed.

Bummer, I just read on Disney's site that Its a Small World at MK is closed for renovations - I know my DS would just love that.

Have a great time! We will be hitting the parks December 7th.

lmariana
11-20-2004, 12:40 PM
I'm glad you're staying on property, I think it makes things SO much easier!

I think going to the Magic Kingdom first is always fun. It's "classic" Disney and kinda sets the stage for a truly magical vacation. :) It has lots of toddler friendly rides...Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, etc.

The most fun adult park is certainly MGM, in my opinion. Great rides! We love Epcot for the dining. Tons of great restaurants!

Just take it easy and don't let yourself feel rushed. I'd also recommend making some priority seating reservations ahead of time, so you'll have a few plans before you leave.

I hope you guys have a super trip!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

twinkie
11-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Mariana,

I don't know if you happened to do any laundry while you were in Disney, but if so, do you know if they sell small packages of Dreft in the hotel laudromats? We are traveling to Disney in January and will probably have to do laundry while we are there. (My son is a big spitter and goes through about 8 to 10 burp cloths a day!) Right now I am packing for Thanksgiving and that made me think about packing for Disney and the laundry issue. I have never seen travel sized Dreft at Target or BRU, but I am hoping maybe they sell it at the hotel gift shop or something so that I don't even have to deal with packing it. We are staying at the Pop Century Hotel if that matters.

Thanks!

lmariana
11-22-2004, 08:52 PM
I haven't done any laundry at Disney yet, but I'd imagine they do, since they offer laundry machines. You know, the other Mariana (MariFP) is visiting Disney next week and will be staying at the same hotel as you! You should drop her a line and ask her to check!

I hear you on the big spitters, Gabe was the same way! Believe it or not, there will come a day when you can leave the house without a burp cloth at all. :)

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

MariFP
11-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Yep, I am going next week! I will try to remember and check it for you. They should have.

twinkie
11-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks for checking. I hope you have a wonderful trip! The parks should be all decorated for the holidays--I bet they will be beautiful. We have been to Disney tons of times, but never with the baby. It will be a very different type of vacation!