PDA

View Full Version : must-have features of a diaper bag

AbbieF
11-21-2004, 09:31 AM
The more research I do, and the more bags I buy the more confused I seem to become. I feel like I need to start back at the beginning and rethink how I use a diaper bag to decide which is the best for me (us). So, I need a little imput please. Can you tell me:
1. What are the most important, "must-have" features of a diaper bag for you? (certain size, material, closure, etc...)
2. What are the deal breakers for you? In other words, even if it seemed like a great bag, are there any specific elements that would make you not buy it?

Please respond. I'm looking for as many perspectives/thoughts I can get on this.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

windyhamilton
11-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Great post Abbie - It seems like the more I read the boards, the more confused and overwhelmed I get by this whole process!! You are definitely not alone...

Each time I show DH a bag his response is, "I thought we already decided on a diaper bag!??". He has finally thrown his hands up and says forget it - get whatever YOU want!!

Good luck with your search!

Windy

Momof3Labs
11-21-2004, 10:22 AM
For me, a long adjustable strap is essential. That way, I can carry the bag messenger style (so it doesn't slip off my shoulder when dealing with a squirmy toddler) and easily sling it over my stroller handles.

A top that closes completely is also essential. I've tried snap/button/velcro tops but hate that things can fall out and that Colin can see what is in the bag (and pull things out easily).

I use a small Timbuk2 for longer trips and a LE Little Tripper for short trips. I love the cute/custom diaper bags but haven't been happy enough with any of them, so for now, function is triumphing over form!! (Although the Alpha 7 replacement is intriguing me - can't wait to see what they do to it!!)

windyhamilton
11-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Do you know when the new A7's are supposed to come out??

lmariana
11-21-2004, 10:46 AM
1. MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES:
- adjustable strap (for messenger bags)
- good organization
- quality materials
- stain/water-proof/resistance
- easy to clean
- good overall design
- bottle/cup holders
- cute!

2. DEAL BREAKERS:
- poor craftsmanship
- cheap materials
- floppiness
- bad design
- hard to clean

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

MamaKath
11-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Obviously you may be more confused after getting a ton of different opinions here, lol. Here are my answers:

1.)What are the most important, "must-have" features of a diaper bag for you? (certain size, material, closure, etc...)

-quality workmanship and materials
-fairly lightweight
-organization
-clean ups are easy
-spot for sippies/bottles (easily accessible so I am not digging for them when I have hungry, thirsty kids)
-comfortable to carry or wear, preferably adjustable straps
-top completely closes (to keep the kids from helping themselves or from things spilling out, prefer a zipper to magnets, Velcro, drawsting, etc.)
-reasonably priced (I don’t mind paying for quality, but notice many of the quality bags have issues as well so I’d rather replace a mid-priced model.)
-style (I notice that many of my bags aren’t cute or super stylish, partly because the functionality of the bag ends up trumping the trendiness)

2.) What are the deal breakers for you? In other words, even if it seemed like a great bag, are there any specific elements that would make you not buy it?

-Lots of Velcro (it seems to snag on me and even on the bag itself sometimes)
-heavy
-open topped that won’t stand on its own (when it falls then everything falls out)
-easily accessible when I do need to get things (difficult to get items in or out does not go over well when you are out, I want to be able to grab my wallet quickly in a store, a diaper when it is needed, snacks or drinks, etc.)
- poor quality of craftsmanship, design, or materials
-poor customer service record
-dry clean only!?!?!

HTH~