PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this Coach baby bag in person?

steph2003
11-22-2004, 10:50 AM
This is way more then I ever dreamed to spend on a diaper bag but I think I'd get a lot of mileage out of it using post baby & while I love some of the fun prints of other bags I think the practical side of me can justify (almost!) the cost of this bag in black. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen it in person. I attached the link because I could not figure out how to post the picture.

It is a new quilted signature baby bag & comes in black, hot pink or a blue.

http://www.coach.com/shop/product_nobefree.asp?category_id=200&product_no=6648

any thoughts/opinions?

kensjen
11-22-2004, 11:09 AM
I did see it in person and I really liked it! The best thing about it, it's light even empty! The worse thing about most of the coach baby bags is how heavy just the bag is. Of course this one isn't all leather! It is pretty big ( a great size I think ) and I love the pockets. I just thought it was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much to spend for a quilted (non leather) bag, even if it is coach. But if you feel like splurging, it is a nice bag. And not too babybag-ish...so you could use it post baby for sure. The black did look nice...and I love the blue...

emmiem
11-22-2004, 12:07 PM
I saw that bag in person and loved it. It is a little heavy even empty as all coach totes seem to be. The price is high but considering there are so many non leather bags out there(kate spade, Dooney and Bourke, Holly Aiken, Bumble and Bumble, etc) that are around the same price, it seems average. It is a large bag.
HTH.
Michele

steph2003
11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks Jen & Michele! I was hoping someone would say they hated it! LOL!

The price is definitely a deterrent BUT I figure I could easily buy as many bags after several diaper bag co-ops & hanging around here too long - LOL! I really am not a bag/purse switcher (I know many gals like to mix up their bags depending on what they are wearing, etc.) - I really do want ONE bag that is stylish & useful (ok that is what I tell myself) plus I think this would be a Christmas gift from "santa" & since I returned the Burberry purse Santa bought me last year (I just couldn't justify the price with a new baby on the way!!!) I feel I'm "owed" of course my washer is on the blink so Santa may feel that is my Christmas present instead!

jayali
11-22-2004, 05:45 PM
I really wish you had not posted the link, because one look and I love the bag. I had previously stayed away from the Coach bags because people say they are way too heavy, but given the reviews I am definitely considering going to Coach tomorrow to "try one on". I am heading up to Vermont this weekend and they have a pretty decent Coach outlet, so maybe they will have them there for a little better price. I hope so! BTW, I agree with the black bag logic, but how awesome is that blue!

I think you should go ahead and splurge. Especially if you think you may be a one bag mommy. Think of course is the key word, because there is no way you can have only one diaper bag!

masetane
11-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Holy cow - $368!?!??! Can I be honest??? It's really gorgeous but that is a big price tag!!! I would personally splurge on a nice tote after baby bag!!! Sure is tempting though right? Maybe check out ebay?
Caroline
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ma.gif
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

steph2003
11-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Jeannine -
please let me know your thoughts/opinions after you "try one on" I don't know when I'll get to see it in person. I'm hoping I hate it in person - yea, right! I'm curious about the inside pockets/organization stuff. I admit I LOVE the blue & the hot pink too, how fun would that be for a splash of color?! But if I'm going to splurge I have to be semi practical, right?

Yes, a one bag diaper mommy - can it be done?! hmm....

steph2003
11-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Caroline -
I agree, that is a ridiculous price tag for a Coach non leather bag. I have never spent that much on a bag EVER but I am in desperate need of a new diaper bag (my current one is too small - I'm a crazy over packer!) I'll admit I was shocked when I came lurking on this board in that people will willingly shell out $100 a pop for numerous designer diaper bags mentioned here so I guess I figured what is stopping me from investing in ONE good bag that will last me beyond the baby years. Yes, I could buy 3 cute/fun bags for the price of this one Coach but then the baby years are done & I'd have this basic bag/tote. I'm drawn to some of the bags like the retro rocket print by Ella Bags & 2 Red Hens has cute prints but as cute as they are I don't see me using them long after the baby years. But that is just me. I'd love to have them all!!! :)

I guess the Coach bag I look at as more of an investment. I know Coach & I know the quality - granted I buy anything from the outlet which unfortunatley since this is a new bag no outlet showings yet or Ebay either :(

ok - so this is really me just trying to justify the price in my mind! LOL

jesseandgrace
11-26-2004, 04:39 PM
I saw it today, and it is really cute. I wish it had a long strap to carry across the chest instead of handles, but I think the handles make it more fashionable. I love both the blue and the pink. I did not see the black, but I'm sure it is also very cute.

steph2003
11-29-2004, 12:03 PM
Jennifer
thanks for your response. How was the organization on the inside? I wish it had a messenger style strap that was removable but I think you are right in that the handles make it more fasionable.

jesseandgrace
11-29-2004, 05:41 PM
It looked like the standard baby bag stuff on the inside, a few pockets to stuff things in. I am not a diaper bag person, so I just don't tend to notice that kind of thing, but in general the size seemed like it would work really well. I also really like the fabric. My husband did not care for the blue color, but really liked the pink color (I showed him pics on the website). I think the blue was really cool looking, but I also loved the pink. The black was not in the store, so I didn't see it. It did seem like the pockets for the bottle/cup on the outside were big enough, I thought from the photo they might be too small. I was seriously tempted, and if I had a newborn I think I would have gone for it, but I like my hands free if I have a bag, so I think the new Kate Spade Roger would be better for me, but I don't like it as much.

Instead I bought an Allison Burns faithfull bag, and I am going to toss a diaper in there! I might still get the Coach one, but I am going to think about it. I am going to get one of the new quilted wristlets though, so if I go back to the store I will check out the bag again and get a better feel for the pockets and stuff.

steph2003
11-30-2004, 01:14 PM
Jennifer
I wasn't a diaper bag person myself until I ventured over to this board....LOL. I really don't notice things like pockets either but now that I really need a new bag since my current one isn't cutting it I'm being forced to think about organizational issues!

I saw the wristlets online too & am tempted to ask Santa for a coordinating one as well. I love both the blue & pink colors online but figure the black is probably most practical although some would say a $368 diaper bag is not practical to begin with :)

I'm curious about the Allsion Burns bag you mentioned any link to that?

jesseandgrace
11-30-2004, 07:53 PM
the site for that bag is

www.allisonburns.com

I bought the faithfull in eggplant. I love the color, and i love the fact that you can carry it messenger style. I know there is no organization at all, but at least it lets me keep my hands free for grabbing a running kid! I also like the bigger bag she makes that she calls a travel bag. I saw it in a store in Boston and it was not that big. I am thinking I will be able to toss in a diaper and maybe a little bag of wipes, but other than that it will just have my stuff.

I am also considering the diaper bag from www.shanghaitang.com, but the website has no information or pictures of the inside, so I think it is too risky a purchase. I LOVE Shanghai Tang, so just the idea that it comes from there is appealing to me, but it seems like the style bag can be purchased for a lot cheaper than what they are asking! They have the most beautiful fabrics, but it looks like the diaper bags are just plain, not contrasting colors like the scarves and jackets. I also love the kids stuff, but it is seriously expensive!

I have not ruled out the Coach either :).

iriebride
11-30-2004, 09:50 PM
The Shanghai Tang looks really cool! It would be great if we could see the inside of the bag. It says it has a pocket for a bottle. Hmmm...is that it?

Like the Coach bag.

Joyce

steph2003
12-02-2004, 11:38 AM
That eggplant color is lucsious :)

Didn't need to see the Shanghai Tang site :) yeah, that is why I should just stay off these boards. I "discover" way too much stuff on my own let alone all the other good finds I stumble across here!

LD92599
12-03-2004, 10:20 PM
I was in the Coach store tonight and checked out this bag (Oh...these boards...LOL!). Definitely not for me BUT i love the elastic pockets! I wish more bags had elastic pockets on the inside!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

kseltmann
12-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Laura,
Seems like you were all over Riverside Square recently!
Is the Coach bag heavy? How big would you say it is; what can you compare it to?
Thanks,

Kathryn
Emily 9.24.03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030924/3/4/3/-5/.png[/img][/url]

LD92599
12-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Oh, we were! DS was a good sport so we just kept on going!!!

The bag wasn't too heavy; I'd compare it, size wise..let's see....i have NO IDEA! Seriously...not sure what i'd compare it to! Sorry!

Laura
mom to William

jayali
12-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Laura,

I am trying to find the Coach bag to check it out but the Coach down here doesn't have it. I was wondering if the Riverside Square comment was about the mall in Bergen County? I will be there on Tuesday and was wondering if the Coach there had the bag.

Please, please, please say no (LOL) so that I won't be tempted to buy yet ANOTHER diaper bag. I just bought the Coach messenger bag at the outlet and DH reminded me that it was my 8th bag and I promised no more, but I really love the picture of the new bag, just need to see it in person.

Thanks

jesseandgrace
12-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I would say that it is really not heavy at all. As far as size, it really is like a tote bag /book bag size. Not too small, not too big. It seems like the perfect size IMO.

LD92599
12-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Oh, you're in TROUBLE! The Coach store was indeed in Bergen County and they had it in blue and pink (or was it blue and black?).

Fortunately (or unfortunately LOL!) DH is usually with me when I'm near a Coach outlet...otherwise I'd probably do some damage there! At least since it's the holidays it's a good excuse for something on the frivolous side!

Laura
mom to William

steph2003
12-06-2004, 11:43 AM
If anyone take the plunge & make this frivolous purchase puhleeze post pics :) I really don't think I have a hope in getting this for Christmas since our washer died & we need a new set. But maybe I can dream. If the back gets bad reviews I won't feel so bad for missing out :)