PDA

View Full Version : need backpack diaper bag suggestions

ilovetivo
11-28-2004, 01:40 PM
Hello - anyone have a good diaper bag backpack suggestion?

Here's what i'm looking for:
black
padded straps
lightweight
pacifier holder
cellphone holder
Thermal bottle chamber
Padded changing station/mat
Removable leak-proof inner liner
sealable "dirty bag"

i bought one from BRU w/ everything but padded shoulders by california innovations

thx!

ELTAZ
11-29-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm looking for a backpack diaper bag, too! I have the Eddie Bauer one, and would not recommend it. The large inside pocket is useless - I ended up cutting it out. The outside pockets are great! The drawstring is a pain, and the flap that velcros doesn't stayed velcroed if it's filled halfway full!

So, I'm looking for one, too. I saw the ones offered a BRU and they don't look like what I'm looking for. Are there any cool ones out there?

Thanks,
Elizabeth
P.S. Sorry for jumping on the thread - I hope you don't mind! ;-)

Ami
11-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Ami

You may want to look at Baby Sherpa or the Short Haul Sherpa. They have bascially everything you have listed and are ergonomic so extremely comfortable when carrying a big load. Their website is www.babysherpa.com

hth
Ami

audball
11-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Lands End makes a really nice one that probably fits all your criteria (not sure about the paci holder). The side pockets are thermal but "open" on top, for easy access. Since they are elasticized, it's not an issue keeping the bottles warm and the sippy cups cool (nice, snug fit).

It may not have a removable leak-proof liner, but the bag can be cleaned very thoroughly (soap and water is what I did) and then pulled inside out to dry.

I only didn't prefer this backpack because it had a bit of a "black hole" effect in the main compartment (it was quite deep).

heatherlynn
11-29-2004, 10:48 AM
I second the Baby Sherpa. I love ours! We only use it when we're gone all day, but it's fantastic. I wore it most of the day when we were in Maine a few weeks ago and I wasn't sore one bit. I love the cooler compartment in the bottom. You can also use it for other things if you don't need to keep things cold. What's nice about it too is that you don't lose things in it since the cooler takes up about the bottom 1/3 and the top takes up about 2/3 of the bag (they're separate compartments). Plus, it has pockets galore. You can also take off the outside insulated bottle holder (it's attached w/ velcro) and use it on a stroller or inside a different bag. I love that!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

ilovetivo
11-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks all!
Regarding the baby sherpa,
- do you like the regular one or the short haul?
- did you try it out before buying?
- any suggestions of where to buy for the best price?
- does it have a section you can take out and bring with you (like a little purse) for wallet/keys etc? i just thought abt that feature. not sure if i want it.

i can't find the lands end one on their website

heatherlynn
11-29-2004, 02:53 PM
I have the regular one and I'm glad I got it. I was also looking at the Short Haul, but Right Start didn't have it on clearance - I got the regular for around $38. I didn't try it out beforehand, just took a chance! I think this is one of those bags that you may not use everyday (it's too big for that), but it is so great to have.

Oh, it doesn't have a section that you can take out and bring with you.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

ilovetivo
11-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Wow! $38? They're like $85. Did you get it at the RS store or online? Thx!

heatherlynn
11-29-2004, 08:46 PM
I called the RS store in Mass. but they said they never heard of the bag (yeah, whatever). Anyway, I ended up calling the one in Palo Alto, CA, paid for it over the phone, and had my dad pick it up and mail it to me. They said it was their last one. Maybe just call all the stores and see what happens. You could get lucky!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

nd93
11-29-2004, 09:00 PM
We have a Kelty diaper backpack that we love. It attaches to our carrier too, which is an added bonus for us. We used it when we went to Walt Disney World in 2003. I didn't take a purse, I just used the parent compartment in the front for my wallet/glasses/phone, etc. The mesh pockets on each side are huge - we were able to carry water for our 2 girls plus shove waters in there for us as well. From your list, though, it does not have an insulated chamber, sealable dirty bag, and removeable liner. Although it cleans easily. It has carry handles, shoulder strap, or padded backpack straps. The backpack straps tuck into a pocket if you are not using them, and the shoulder strap clips off. Good luck!

Emmas Mom
12-02-2004, 11:28 AM
The LE is on their Overstocks page now. They are on sale for $27.50!! Unfortunately I want the red & that's the ONLY one that's not on sale. Bummer for me. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,,2_17273_17281_53982_110257_88704_9:view=-1,00.html?sid=0056100422420126070&CM_MERCH=SRCH

Riley717
12-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the tip on the LE Diaper Backpack --- I just ordered a black one as a Christmas gift for my sister who is pregnant with her 1st baby. I have the Eddie Bauer backpack and like it but I like the Lands End price better. The Eddie Bauer one is $48, and LE is $29.50.

Stephanie
Mom to Quinn (11-13-02)

ilovetivo
12-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks!
I wish i could see it IRL before buying. I got a skip hop and a mckenzie highland on sale at right start for $30) yesterday. Baby sherpa is mailing me one free shipping and can send it back free shipping b/c there's no store near me.