PDA

View Full Version : So does the Skip Hop get a thumbs-up or thumbs-down?

msjd123
11-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Those of you who have it seem to like it well enough, and today I saw one for the first time in a baby store -- love it! Nevertheless, $50 seems a wee bit pricey for a diaper bag, although I was convincing myself I could use it a work tote in the post-baby days. I'm also wondering if your legs or knees knock against it when it's hung on the back of the stroller. All in all, would you buy it again?

Sarah
EDD #1 3/10/05

lmariana
11-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Out of all of my MANY diaper bags, the Skip Hop is the one tried and true member of the collection. It gets the most daily use, and I find it indispensable. I never have any problems bumping in to it while walking, and love everything about it!! I don't often write such glowing remarks about a bag, but seriously, this one has been at the top of my list for a long time.

Some people don't like it, so I'm sure you'll get the "other side" of the story here too. :) That's what's great about these boards, lots of different opinions!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

AbbieF
11-28-2004, 11:21 PM
I totally agree with Marianna! Although I continue to shop for bags and am always on the hunt for the cute/functional bag. The skiphop is the bag that is always packed and ready to go. My DH uses it as well and after 5 mths of daily use it looks just like the day I bought it. It it a bit thin for me - esp. w/ formula bottles, but the organization is great and the clip function for your stroller is awesome. The benefit of the short straps is that it won't hit your legs while your pushing the stroller. The velcro on the changing pad pocket can be a pain, but as someone much wiser than I suggested in a previous post you can just buy some of the loop tape and put it over it. A new skiphop bag is supposed to come out early next year I believe but for overall utility the current one is great. I felt like you do when I began shopping for bags that $50 seemed a lot, but as you start to shop around and see the quality you'll realize it's very reasonable. My theory is that you'll have the bag for years and you'll need some form of a diaper bag for at least 3 yrs if not more. So in that case it's just $15 a year or probably less than a dime for everytime you use it!

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

msjd123
11-28-2004, 11:56 PM
What do you mean when you say "you can just buy some of the loop tape and put it over it"? I can't picture what you're talking about.

Sarah

bubbaray
11-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Of the diaper bag fleet in my house, the Skip Hop definitely gets the most use! LOVE LOVE LOVE my Skip Hop!! :) And, no, I don't have shares or any financial interest in the company, LOL!

I am currently trying to talk myself out of buying a second Skip Hop in denim. If Santa doesn't bring it, I'll probably break down in January and buy it for myself....

As an aside, I'm pretty hard on bags, and my red canvas Skip Hop looks pristine. I love the organization and how it clips to any of the strollers from my stroller fleet....

And, perhaps most importantly, the side mesh bottle pocket holds a grande cup from Starbucks.

HTH

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

dowlinal
11-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Add me to the list of people who love their skip hop. I find that it meets my two biggest needs which are organization and easy access.

The things I love about it are:
- The big front pockets which make it easy to stow and grab teethers and small toys
- The zipper compartments at the top. I use the shallower one for my wallet and stuff and find the bigger one is great for feeding essentials and meds.
- The outside cellphone pocket since it's the perfect size and doesn't require digging around a bag trying to get to the phone before it stops ringing.
- The outside mesh pocket works great for bottles, sippy cups, or my drink
- The amount of stuff I manage to get in the bag
- The fact that DH will carry it because its not girly

In response to your banging knees question - I think that my skip hop avoids that happening. With my one strap bags, they hang down so far that they bump me, but the skip hop hangs higher. I own many bags but this one has been my daily bag since July.

amp
11-29-2004, 04:25 PM
I have mixed feelings on my Skip Hop. I love the look of it, and I love, love, love the fact that I can clip it to the stroller or shopping carts, rather than having to sit it in the basket!

However, I find that I don't really care much for the vertical packing of the bag and that it is so darned tall but skinny. I also find it to be a bit of a big bag, sizewise, but I can't carry a ton in it. That's just my feeling. I keep coming back to my Target Eddie Bauer bag, even though I don't love it, because it's shorter, fatter and easier to get stuff in and out of.

My husband is so tired of hearing me complain, he is starting to make lists and sketches of a diaper bag he wants to invent.

jesseandgrace
11-29-2004, 05:30 PM
I really don't like diaper bags, I just like my own bags with diapers thrown in, but I LOVE THIS BAG! I bought a black one, and I carry it as a purse, it so does not even seem like a diaper bag to me. I am going to buy another color because I like it so much.

priscilla73
11-29-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm not that crazy about mine. I don't know why. Maybe because it's so "Blah" I have the black and that might have something to do with it. When I had a red one, I thought it was so cute. It seems functional but I honestly haven't really used it other than it's stapped to my jogging stroller. It makes are really good water bottle/ipod holder!

Nina31
11-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Hi there,
I'm a long-time lurker who seldom posts, but I have to say how great this bag is. I've been literally searching for years for a good medium-size bag. I must have tried over two dozen bags, including Eddie Bauer, Landsend, Kelty, Avent, and numerous ones from Babies R Us. But there was always something with the bags that bugged me. Based on all the great reviews here, I finally decided to try the Skip Hop (sight unseen). Wow! It is truly a great bag. It is durable, well-organized, not too bulky, and you can carry it over the shoulder, messenger style, or on the stroller. I'm working part-time now, and I use it as a work bag too. While $50 may seem pricey, I feel it was worth it. I actually bought two because I like it so much!

Nina
Mommy to Thomas and Sara

AbbieF
11-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Okay, I probably am using the wrong term. If you go to a fabric or craft store, you can buy velcro often like ribbon (either a predetermined amount or by the yard). The velcro has 2 parts the sticky part and the non sticky part (what I'm calling the loop piece). So you could just cut a piece apprx. the length of the velcro part on the skip hop that's catching things and stick it to it. Is that a better explanation? - oh how I wish I could draw a picture.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

Momof3Labs
11-29-2004, 10:37 PM
I like this bag for what I use it for, if that helps! I leave mine clipped to our P3, so when we go out for the day, I use it as my cupholder (the front outer pockets) and to stash small odds and ends as we go along. I don't like the long skinny shaping on it (for packing or for wearing), and don't like that it doesn't stand on its own, so don't use it as my day-to-day bag. Neither of us have a problem with knees knocking it.

IMO, one of the best bags out there right now is the Lands End Little Tripper, a bargain at $19.50.