PDA

View Full Version : Why do some of you have so many diaper bags?

jennifer_r
12-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Is it to match what you are wearing? is it so you can always have one clean one while you are washing the other one? is it you need different size ones based on your travels? or you just like the looks of them and can't stop at just one?

I'm just starting to research diaper bags and so any input on how many I *need* is helpful.

TIA

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

pittsburghgirl
12-02-2004, 02:35 PM
HA! Well, "need" is an open question. I am new to the world of many diaper bags but at 6 and one one being custom made, I'm catching up. I'm not in the market though for the pricier ones (Fleurville, etc.) as I am a SAHM and on a budget.

I started out with two basic LE models - DIA and LT. Then, added another LE tote b/c it was cute and a LE backpack for travel. Just recently I starting reading this board and now have a Clutterbag (REALLY cute for spring/summer) purchased on ebay which is small-ish (will replace the LT once it's warm again), and a Kecci from the co-op which will probably be my primary bag this winter. I'm having a Clutterbag custom made with special fabric (was going to get a WW Katie tote but my order was cancelled so Janie is making me a similar bag.)

I plan to get rid of some of my LE bags as I find I am more interested in having a cute bag. I don't carry a purse any more and I'm not a fashion plate (and still trying to lose that baby weight so no new clothes for me!) so this is one of my only ways to express myself when I'm out with DS. I don't match my bag to my outfits; I tend to wear too much black and that's pretty boring in a diaper bag. I did get the Navy Kecci and have a Navy Zooper stroller but am eyeing a SC Micro in Red so the Navy/orange Kecci won't match that (matching my stroller isn't a priority either.)

It's an evolving process, as you figure out which bag works best for you; some people change often and others find the bag or two that works best and end up selling the others. Plus, as the babies get older you have different needs!

My main advice is stay away from this board!!! LOL You will find yourself sucked into multiple bags just b/c you will find out about all of these great options that you never heard of before.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

bubbaray
12-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I mean, I must have well over 100 pairs of shoes. Do I "need" them? Of course not! Same for purses and diaper bags....

I choose my diaper bag for the day based on function. Then again, most of bags go with any of my strollers and my outfits.

If you only want (gasp!) one diaper bag, run away from this board as fast as you can....

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

jennifer_r
12-02-2004, 03:07 PM
That is sooo true about staying away from this board (and all the other BB boards). Most of my friends who don't belong to this board are content just picking up whatever brand of everything at BRU, Target, etc., but I find that I can't make a purchase without extensive research from these boards. Ofcourse, then, I discover so many more options and probably spend more money as a result - but I enjoy it and DH doesn't seem to mind (he knows that I won't go overboard). If I explained these boards to my friends, they'd think I was crazy or wasting my time.

Didn't know you can get a custom made diaper bag - pretty cool. How does that work?

I have the basic black tote and find it boring; I agree that I want something "cute/cool" like the Kecci bag.

Haven't seen the Clutterbag yet- will look into that one.

These boards are turning into a very dangerous hobby.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

hudsonam
12-02-2004, 03:15 PM
>That is sooo true about staying away from this board (and all
>the other BB boards). Most of my friends who don't belong to
>this board are content just picking up whatever brand of
>everything at BRU, Target, etc., but I find that I can't make
>a purchase without extensive research from these boards.
>Ofcourse, then, I discover so many more options and probably
>spend more money as a result - but I enjoy it and DH doesn't
>seem to mind (he knows that I won't go overboard). If I
>explained these boards to my friends, they'd think I was crazy
>or wasting my time.

This is so true! Unfortunately I'm dumb and told my friends about my obsessions with diaper bags, and previously, with strollers and baby carriers, and they do think I'm nuts. I don't even have a baby yet (2 more weeks!), and I only have one bag, but I want more! This board is very dangerous.

robmab719
12-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Do you have more than one purse/handbag? If not, you can probably get by with one diaper bag. If, on the other hand, you're like me and change purses to fit your mood, outfit or amount of stuff you happen to be carrying that day, you will need LOTS of diaper bags! :)

I don't have one to match every outfit, but I do have a lot of different colors. Some of them are more sporty and others are more dressy. I'd feel weird carrying the sporty one on a night out at a restaurant, yet I'd feel weird carrying a pretty silk bag to a soccer game.

So I really do *NEED* all these bags. But I can see how someone else might need only one and think I am some crazed diaper-bag wacko. (which I probably am)

josiebruin
12-02-2004, 08:47 PM
>If I explained these boards to my friends, they'd think I was crazy
>or wasting my time.

>This is so true! Unfortunately I'm dumb and told my friends about my >obsessions with diaper bags, and previously, with strollers and baby >carriers, and they do think I'm nuts.

I think you guys might need new friends! LOL ;-) or maybe I do, since it was one of my friends who was "nice" enough to introduce me to the world of stroller obsession (and, by extension, these boards)! Of course, I wasted no time expanding to diaper bags and now I am on to toys!

~Kelly
Zach 8/04

lmariana
12-02-2004, 10:10 PM
I have lots of diaper bags because I think they're pretty!

Now honestly, you don't *need* a diaper bag at all, you can use any bag, but "diaper bags" are handy because of their changing pads, bottle holders, and organization. Here are my recommendations for the average mom:

(1) Small bag for quick trips
(1) Medium bag for average errands (out for about 2-8 hrs)
(1) Large/Huge bag for all-day outings or overnight at Grandma's

You'll also want to select a bag based on your preferences: strap length, bag style (tote, messenger, stroller, backpack), waterproofness or fabric, casual/dressy styles, etc.

Here are some of my favorite bags in the different size groups:

Small-
www.ella-bags.com (the Caroline tote, this is a custom bag company)
www.fleurville.com (the Escape Pod)
www.loomlife.com (Bandicoot backpack/messenger bag)

Medium-
www.skiphop.com (my fave!)
www.chesterhandbags.com (cute totes and backpacks, vinyl coated)
www.fleurville.com (Alpha 7)
www.timiandleslie.com (Small Bebe Bag - lots of beautiful fabrics to choose from, all vinyl covered for waterproofness)
www.loomlife.com (The Marsupial - tops at organization, well-designed, high quality construction)
www.themustardsprout.com (Marshall Bag - backpack designed for dads!)

Large:
www.timiandleslie.com (Large Bebe Bag and Backpack)
www.fleurville.com (Mothership - awesome bag!)
www.babysherpa.com (sporty backpack with a built-in cooler)
www.timbuk2.com (Medium Messenger, not a real diaper bag, but awesome!)
www.petuniapicklebottom.com (asian brocade bags, high style)

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

pittsburghgirl
12-02-2004, 10:12 PM
I went to Gymboree today with my new Kecci and got lots of comments from the moms with their basic black bags! They think I'm insane!

As to the custom bag, I bought one Clutterbag on ebay because I loved the pattern; emailed the designer and asked if she could make me one with a fabric she wasn't showing on her website. She was willing to go out and look for the fabric I was interested in and found the exact fabric I wanted plus a great coordinating lining fabric. She is charging me an extra $5 to do the fabric search. When she is finished she will do a single-bidder auction on ebay for me. Check out her website: www.clutterbags.com. These are really cute bags but I wouldn't use it as my only bag; the fabric on my first one isn't a heavyweight twill so it probably won't take as much abuse as my everyday bag will or my Kecci, either, plus the bag isn't huge. But it's beautiful and will be great for church or other dressier occasions.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

nov02mom
12-04-2004, 10:44 PM
I started out with a couple of Lands End bags and then got hooked on strollers, diaper bags and baby carriers through these boards and the Yahoo boards. I think I just transferred my shoe obsession over to baby related things since all I wear now are Birks! I change diaper bags depending on where I'm going, what I'm wearing and what stroller I'm using.
Kristen

MamaKath
12-05-2004, 09:25 AM
How many do you need? Most likely about 3 but that may mean using already existing non-diaper bags instead. Lots of folks have a large bag (maybe an already owned tote or backpack that just gets used for this when it is needed), a mid-sized (I hear many moms using the hospital tote for this, my hospital ones were "cutesy" and are in the back of my closet still ;-)), and a small one (often this is the one that is purchased or maybe the one that is a converted purse even).

Why do many folks have more than one? As I am sure you already realize the reasons can be numerous. Style, function, fun; these are the reasons the seem to play into it for me (and a lot of others).
*Function-For me the priority has been function. The function has changed though with the ages of my kids, as has what Ineed in the bag. If your lifestyle changes, your needs may change (this is often the case if you move to a new environment). I realized at one point I needed a messenger style bag to free my hands while allowing complete access at any time to the contents. Now I have been searching out a "fashionable" small bag and a great backpack (hopefully have found this) for outings. My child's allergy issues mean that the bag has to hold items other folks might not need at all.
*Style-It is fun though to try to match. I haven't tried a Kecci yet because I am afraid it will completely clash, lol. I am no fashion plate but as a unit (me, dd, ds, stroller and diaper bag; I am understanding the navy stroller thing more, lol), I don't want to be too loud visually. I do want to feel pretty though and not always like the frumpy mum pushing the cute kids in a great buggy. ;-) Style is where the $$$ is though, and you have to watch out a bit. A lot of the really "stylish" bags are very costly!!!! Cute, but costly!!! My cheap self has kept this in check partly because I can not justify getting a really "cute" bag when it takes from other parts of my budget besides my "fun" money.
*Fun- And lets face it, a good stroller, a good baby carrier, a good diaper bag can mean the difference with having a good to great trip out with the kids. The alternative? Staying home all the time! So getting out is fun, and is often the much needed reality check and sanity break. And it is fun for kids to have a mom who can handle going out, and has the things she needs to meet their needs.

This board can be fun, but watch your wallet. ;-) Especially when it comes to checking out some of the pricier great bags.