PDA

View Full Version : (Blushing here) I think I found the perfect backpack for us. :-D

MamaKath
12-05-2004, 02:21 PM
:-D I have searched and searched. I have tried various packs. I will concede that they all have their pluses and their minuses. They are huge, vary in comfort and features, and of course price. I have looked, I have tried, and it just wasn't happening. My biggest problems, I carry a LOT for a full day out. I have a child with allergies, so I often carry food in addition to regular diapering/kid stuff. So I had my diapering stuff, my stuff, food, and toys. In a regular backpack it all fell to the bottom, causing major pain on my back. I finally found a pack IRL (Deuter's) that might work, but still wasn't 100% what I was looking for. I decided to give the Baby Sherpa a try (it has been awhile since I have seen one IRL, so it became a leap of faith), and figured I could order the Deuter pack after Christmas if I still needed to. I think the Sherpa will work for us though!!!!! YAY!!!! So here is my review so far, I will update later in the holiday season after it has had "real" use also, hopefully I will still be completely joyful then. ;-)

Please if anyone has packing tips for this pack, let me know. I want to utilize its functions as best I can. :-) Thank you to all who helped me with suggestions. ~Kath

Baby Sherpa Backpack Review

Pros-
*Cooler in bottom
*Weight of items spread out vs all at bottom
*Lots of spots to stash stuff
*Comfortable (so far, will try it on a long outing this weekend)
*Sporty but stylish

Cons-
*Big
*Doesn’t stand well without stuff in bottom
*Not a ton of room in “top” compartment since the cooler takes up a lot of room

Wishlist for this bag-
*D-rings to attach a shoulder strap
*Cell phone pocket on the straps (I think it would still have to come off to get the phone from the little side pockets)
*Actually slightly taller to accommodate more of the diapering stuff

So here are my thoughts so far on the Baby Sherpa. I just received this in the mail a few days ago. I was completely excited to see it, and check it out. It arrived in enough time to test a bit before I have to use it for a full day out. This is perfect for our needs though. It had a quick “test” packing, but I certainly need to think it out better this week.

The cooler- There is a large cooler compartment on the bottom. This is perfect for us, since dd has food allergies and we often need to pack lunch and snacks for all day outings. If it were not used as a cooler it would hold a ton of diapering supplies perfectly! I love that the zipper allows you to access the contents easily without spilling all over.

The upper compartment- Although it is a big bag overall, there is not as much usable diapering interior room as you would think since the cooler takes up most of the bottom. I am still trying to figure out how best to organize items in this. It has a padded video camera pocket (don’t have a working video camera so don’t need that) along the back, a zippered pocket within that also along the back “wall” of the pack, a mesh pocket on the front “wall” of the pack and then some open space. I think it will be plenty of space for stuff, I just need to work on where and how, iykwim.

The sides- There is one zippered pocket on either side on the outside of the bag to hold phones, keys, or other things parent’s need quickly. They also have a loop inside to attach a carabineer or the like for keys, pacies, etc. There are also two removable cup/bottle holders; one mesh and one insulated with a closed top. I haven’t tried yet, but they look as if they would attach to the stroller handle while not on the bag. I think this will mean the bag could fit in a stroller basket more easily also since it removes a bit of the width. They are both very roomy and should fit just about any sippy cups or wide bottles you would need.

Front of the bag- There is a “kangaroo” style pocket that is perfect for stuffed animals or quickly needed kids stuff. My kids were excited that they could each stuff a little buddy in. There is a stretchy cord to “trap” a coat or blankie which will be great I am sure. Two loops are on the front for toys, I need to find some links or something to attach stuff to though. There is also a bit of reflective tape, which adds a sporty appearance, and provides added visibility to others.

The back- The straps are very comfortable! Plush, have a chest clip, d-rings to add toys or other items, very adjustable. There is a pocket to hold the large changing pad. It adds additional support and padding for your back. I am not sure if I love this part yet, as I am thinking it might feel less bulky if that weren’t there. The waist strap is thick, highly adjustable, and removable. I am afraid to remove it since I am sure I will lose it quickly though.

hudsonam
12-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Ooh, I'm jealous. I was coveting these bags, but settled on an Eagle Creek Parent Survival Pack, on special for $30 down from $70. But that's Ok, because it gives me some leverage when telling my husband about additional bags I "need" to have. ;-) Glad you like it!

heatherlynn
12-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Hi Kath,

I'm so glad you finally found a backpack that works for you! I just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it! I love the bottle/can holders that attach w/ velcro! In fact, I bought 2 extras. I keep one w/ the baby sherpa, one in my diaper bag, and one on my MBUS. It fits the large Playtex premium nurser bottle pretty well even w/ a little bag of ice cubes in it. It's a little squeeze to get it in there, but not bad at all and it really keeps the bottle cold. I love that I don't have to carry a bottle bag because those are just too big.

I love how comfortable it is, too. I wore it all day a few weeks ago and it was extrememly comfortable. My shoulders and neck get sore a lot, so I was expecting to carry it only for a little while and then pass it on to DH, but I ended up carrying it the entire day w/ no problems at all.

Anyway, again just happy you found something that works for you.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

MamaKath
12-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Heehee, you have time girl!!! ;-) I am already 5 years into the game, and am just using this now. I hope I still like it after our trip this weekend.

MamaKath
12-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Heather, I am glad to hear that it seems to be practical in real life use as well as just my quick checking it out and trying it. I plan on using it this weekend as we will be traveling to a German Christmas market, and I will need to carry it all day. I think it should work well, especially with dd's food issues. That at least justified the purchase to dh. He thinks it is great that we will be able to have things for her to eat while we are out. Reminds me, I need to freeze some Caprisuns for the trip.

Any tips on organization of stuff you bring with you? Do you keep your stuff in there too, or just theirs? I am not sure how best to make it work. TIA on any help. :-)

peasprout
12-07-2004, 01:30 AM
What's the best price on these right now? I've been eyeing them for a while and just might get myself one for Christmas. TIA!

heatherlynn
12-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi Kath,

Oh, I am nothing if not practical! I do keep my stuff in there as well as the kids' things. But since I usually use this for outdoors trips, I typically leave things like my coupon organizer at home. My cell and keys I just put in one of those small outside pockets near the top of the bag. I put my wallet in the main part towards the top. Other than that, I don't really bring that much of my own stuff. I usually wear my sunglasses on my collar since my eyes are super sensitive to light and I need quick access to them when going from inside to outdoors.

Anyway, still loving this bag! I hope it's working well for you. I love the insulated section at the bottom. Great for my 6yo DD who is a grazer eater. We can keep sandwiches cool for her while also keeping the baby's formula cold and not have to bring a separate cooler.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

MamaKath
12-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks Heather. I think I may either use a hip bag or just leave my wallet, phone and keys in the bag and the rest at home. What do you use as an everyday bag?