PDA

View Full Version : Quick wondering question... we discuss how we carry our baby's stuff but...m

MamaKath
12-06-2004, 11:45 PM
How about how you carry your own stuff? Do you put it in the diaper bag? Carry a purse? How do you keep it easy to grab if you are headed out for a quick errand or out without the kids? Do you carry just a wallet or need more for just you? How about if you are a WOHM, do you use a seperate purse?

Do tell ladies, I need to figure out the secret of managing my junk now that I have just about figured out the kids (only took how long????? ;-)).

ellies mom
12-07-2004, 01:33 AM
I've always been one for super small purses. Wallet, keys, phone/pager, never carried much more than that. So, for me I just shove my purse in the diaper bag or shove my wallet and phone into my Escape Pod. I know it's bad but I also tend to slip it over the handle of the stroller or give it to DD to play with.

Kimberly H
12-07-2004, 06:10 AM
I work outside the home and MIL or DH usually take Mia to/from school so I carry a purse if she's not with me. When I'm going someplace with Mia, I take her diaper bag and put my keys and super small wallet inside too. I keep mints and lip gloss in the diaper bag at all times so I'm good to go.

AbbieF
12-07-2004, 06:44 AM
I have this Red nylon tiny LeSport Sac, the size of a cosmetic bag, with a handle. In that I keep my "essentials" (wallet, mints, lipstick, cell phone etc.)which I can then just grab and put in any bag- diaper bag or brief case/tote I'm using. Since I also work out of the home, I can easily transfer this between my work bag and the diaper bag. Red makes it easy to see and the nylon keeps it light.

Abbie
mom to Maddie 4/17/04

LD92599
12-07-2004, 07:19 AM
I've got my stuff in a slim Coach bag (this one but in red leather!)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18176.jpg

It's slim enough that I just slide it in the diaper bag if I happen to be out w/ DS and a dipe bag! Otherwise, i just sling it over my shoulder, or the stroller handles, etc. Granted, it doesn't hold a ton (small plastic envelope w/ coupons; cell phone; gum; pen; ID case w/ license, credit cards, etc plus cash in the outer zip section and then misc in the outer open section [i'd use that section for coupons while i'm out, my shopping list, etc]).

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

MichelleRC
12-07-2004, 07:37 AM
I put my wallet, cell, keys, glasses and then a sm. zippered cosmetic pouch (the one from my T&L bag currently) that has the rest of my mom stuff directly in my diaper bag.
I also keep a small empty tote style purse in the car so that on the rare occasions I am out shopping or whatever without the kids, I just toss my stuff in there.
It is, however an ever-evolving process to find the most effective way to do this!

nov02mom
12-07-2004, 10:25 AM
I usually just put my stuff- driver's license, cc, chapstick in a small pocket of the diaper bag. Then if I ever go anywhere without Jacob I move it all over to a purse.
Kristen

hapahaolegirl
12-07-2004, 12:08 PM
I only bring my wallet, cell phone, chapstick, and keys with me when I leave the house. So I just shove it all in the small zipper part of my diaper bag. If I had more then one diaper bag I think the escape pod/cosmetic bag idea would work well.

Kristen

alaible
12-07-2004, 07:46 PM
When Paige was a newborn I got a wallet on a string for my stuff. It held all my necesities like checkbook, credit cares, cash, chapstick, receipts, cell phone etc. And when we went out I would toss the wallet on a string into the diaper bag. Of course I got to the grocery store one day and filled up my cart only to realize when I got in line that I brought the diaper bag but forgot to put my purse in it. So I have learned my lesson I have just one bag now that carries my stuff as well as Paige's stuff, now I don't have to worry about forgetting one or the other.

heatherlynn
12-07-2004, 11:02 PM
I think I'm going through the same dilemma you are! I tend to go to the grocery store by myself - hate taking the kids and DH (he's the worst - always throwing junk in the cart!).

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a small tote bag for just my wallet, coupon organizer, cell, and keys. My thinking is that I can just grab those things from my diaper bag and throw them into the tote. Problem is, I just can't find one I like! I'm looking at the Georgie Ella bag and a Timbuk2 metro, but I keep going back and forth between whether I want a "nice" bag or whether I want a bag that realistically goes w/ my wardrobe (if you can call it a wardrobe - it's just jeans and t-shirts mostly!).

I'm getting tired of throwing all my stuff in my jacket pockets every time I go to the grocery store. Makes me feel like an 8-year old boy, always pulling crap out of my pockets. I was also thinking maybe an Escape Pod, but I don't think you can wear that on your shoulder since the straps would probably be too short, especially now since it's getting cold and we have to wear heavy coats.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

ILoveLT
12-07-2004, 11:08 PM
I put my stuff in the two zipper pockets of the Skip Hop. They hold a lot and I am glad they are zippered so I don't lose my wallet or cell phone.

MamaKath
12-09-2004, 01:31 AM
LOL I think we are living the same bag search. ;-) Your thoughts on stuff in pockets pinpoints EXACTLY how I often feel. I keep thinking maybe I need a small messenger bag, but then wonder if it is "dressy" enough. I just went through the bags in my closet, and many are either totes, messenger bags, diaper bags, etc. I don't even own many purses anymore to know what I would carry in one. Between work and kids, I guess I really haven't needed one in many, many years. I am looking forward to hearing what you find, maybe it will be the answer to my needs also. ;-)

Oh I found these cute bags, but wished the had water bottle pockets like the T2, but I do like their overall look better. http://www.crumplerusa.com/ And these which had a more feminine look IMO http://www.sherpani.us/

Good luck, please update me since we are in the same boat.

MamaKath
12-09-2004, 01:37 AM
and helped me work on a better solution, at least for now. I was using a wristlet for my credit cards and money, small pouch for lipgloss and such, and then a ziploc with a mini first aid kit (bandaids, tweezers, advil, etc). I switched to a larger wallet on a string, but that was slightly too large so I couldn't stick it in my pocket, it didn't seem to work in my bags comfortably and I wasn't at ease carrying it by itself. I kept looking. The solution, at least for today, ;-), I dug out a slightly larger wristlet/wallet. It is smaller but wider, has a shorter strap, and a better closure. It fits well in my bags, and I can throw a lipgloss in if I need too. It also fits easily into a fanny pack so if I need to carry just my stuff for the festivals, I can. I think I need to buy a... purse soon?!?!?!?! I am not admitting to be as close to out of this stage as I am feeling though.

Any advice on convincing dh for a number 3?!?!?!?! ;-) :-) :+

(Edited to fix typo, now I am heading of to dream land)

heatherlynn
12-09-2004, 06:41 PM
lol! i just picked up the metro. not sure if i'll like it as a "purse." i got black, so maybe if it was a different color... i'll have to pack it up and see how it goes. i may keep it anyway to replace the le lt.

love that sherpani pinot small handbag - if only it didn't have their darn name/logo emblazoned on the front! grrr.

h-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

MamaKath
12-10-2004, 02:23 PM
Heather, I am glad you posted. I love the Sherpani’s too, but the logos bug me. Everything seems to have big logos in that style. I wonder if they can be covered with some kind of appliqué. I was looking at purses today, but everything seems so impractical. Lots of little clutches which are really cute, but come on it is the holidays- prime theft time. A friend of mine had her diaper bag stolen recently, so I am trying to use only a fanny pack or messenger bag for my stuff. I am less likely to put them down since they don’t have to be removed to get out what I need. We’ll see. So far I have pulled out my LE Messenger Diaper bag (slightly larger than the old LT, but divided more, dark interior is hard to deal with after the Ameribag interior but the size is more manageable) and a fanny pack. Colors are Orange (LE) and Lavendar. Not like they will match everything, but hey can’t win them all. I’ll let you know how I find various things work if you promise the same, lol.

heatherlynn
12-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Hi Kath,

Well, I tried the T2 metro, but I think it's going back to EMS. I love it, but not for a purse. The size is okay (maybe a tad big for what I want to carry). But I think I would feel like everyone would be looking at me every time I went to open the bag. Rrrrriiiipppp! The velcro is pretty strong, which is good, but not really what I want for a purse. I think an open top bag with a zipper would be ideal.

So, now I'm thinking maybe an I'm Still Me bag. I was looking at these during the co-op, but decided against it. I think the meToo mini might work well. I guess they can't do a zipper on that one though, but I think I'd be okay with that since I wouldn't be using it all the time. They say it's 8-9" high, but don't give the width or depth (at least I couldn't find it) so I emailed them. My other concern is whether the strap is long enough to wear on my shoulder. I emailed them and I can let you know what they say.

Anyway, I really should go to bed. If you want, I'll let you know what they say about the ISM. This really shouldn't be so difficult, should it? ;)

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

MamaKath
12-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Lol! Love the sound effects. ;-) Good to know, I am so not a velcro girl, I have learned that so far. I don't mind those clips on some messengers, but I prefer a zipper. Can't wait to hear on the ISM. I do enjoy using my small LE Tote, but the straps are a tad short for me with the winter gear and the color (white canvas with light blue) is too springy. I love that it keeps his and my stuff seperate so if I am out and have to open it, know one sees a bunch of dipes and wipes. ;-) You are right, it should not be so hard!

heatherlynn
12-15-2004, 07:17 AM
You know, I don't mind velcro too much except when it is really loud, which I found on the T2 (oh, how I wanted to love that bag!). I told my Secret Santa that all I want for Xmas is an ISM gift certificate. Since I knew my Secret Santa was my SIL (we always tell each other every year!), I knew she'd understand! Sooo...I'm going to order the meToo mini in either sandbox or imperial dragon (any thoughts on which one?).

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

Emmas Mom
12-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Ok, I've been following this thread because after 16 months I still haven't figured out how best to do this. I found this at LL Bean the other day & keep eyeing it. I like that it can be worn as a sling or on your wrist, plus it looks small enough to fit inside a larger diaper bag. I'm SOOO tempted to buy it & since they have free shipping & no tax...$25 is a dang good deal, especially for leather! Anyone have this or have any thoughts on it??

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=40340&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4782&cat4=2879&shop_method=pp&feat=dp27

audball
12-17-2004, 11:10 AM
That looks cute! Especially since it is rounded...one of the issues I have with these little flat wristlets is by the time you put a small wallet, a cell phone, keys, and some change/chapstick in it, you can't zipper the top!

My only concern is that it's leather...if you don't mind juice on it or getting crayon on it(well, at least with my kids, this would be an issue), go for it! :)

Emmas Mom
12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Ok, I couldn't resist, I just ordered it! lol I figure for the price it's a good deal. I'm not too worried about juice or crayons or whatever cause 1. it's a darker color (I ordered brown), 2. I could *probably* spot clean it & 3. it wouldn't kill me if it got ruined cause of the price. :) So, we'll see how this works out!

MamaKath
12-17-2004, 02:37 PM
You guys are killing me here, lol!!! I saw that the other night (on Ameribag), and was hoping someone would order one someplace so I could here if it were as practical as it looks. It is made by Ameribag and comes in leather or microfiber.
http://www.ameribag.com/classiccollection.html#
Apparently the new bags will have an additional hook to put it at the top of the bag somehow. If you click on it on their site it shows a woman wearing it around her waist. Seems very versatile! I love that the leather comes in something besides black!!!

Oh and the Shokan on this page http://www.ameribag.com/catskillcollection.html# looks like it would fit perfectly at the bottom of one of their bags to help even further with weight distribution.

Fun to look eh? :-)