PDA

View Full Version : Mothership owners (or previous owners)...I have some questions...

chase
12-08-2004, 01:41 AM
I am thinking of getting a Mothership.

I think the size & organization would work well for me.
I am a bit concerned after doing a search here & learning of the issues with the vinyl developing holes.
If I get one...I will probably try to do so from ebay (to save $$)..so I would not be able to exchange it to Fleurville.
Do you think I should be concerned about this??

Also:
Is this bag comfy to wear messenger and also shoulder style?

If anyone doesn't like the Mothership...could you tell me why?

Just trying to decide.

TIA for your help!

lmariana
12-08-2004, 08:37 AM
I owned a Mothership and never had any quality issues, if that makes you feel better!

I could not however wear it comfortably messenger style at all, and I'm 5'2". :) It is a really big bag, and if you need that much space, it's certainly for you, but if you don't, I'd look in to some smaller alternatives. For me the messenger style thing is a deal-breaker. If I can't wear it messenger style, I don't use it...that's just me though!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Chelsey333
12-08-2004, 10:11 AM
I love mine. I think it is comfy shoulder style, very light weight - but maybe a bit too big for me to wear messenger style. The strap is very wide, so I think it might be uncomfortable to wear it that way. I can see how holes can form bec the corners of the plastic are sharp, but I have had no problems with mine. Even if it did get a hole, I still love the functionality of the bag and would be worth keeping for me. The only thing I don't love about the bag is the magnetic snap for the closure. I usually have my bag pretty full and I find the snap a pain to close. Kind of like when you have overpacked your suitcase to travel and you have to squish it to get it to close. It takes more effort to close with this kind of snap.

SteelerFan
12-08-2004, 10:17 AM
I have had issues with both of my MSs--the Blue Choc. and the Choc. Cord **BOTH** got holes in the vinyl--I exchanged the Blue Choc for another through Fleurville (I was a bit peeved with that experience) and I'm currently using it ***fingers crossed it won't happen again***--and I am in the process of exchanging my Choc. Cord because of the vinyl holes AND my magnetic closure broke. After my first experience with CS there and really being upset that the amount of money paid for that bag would have such issues I had decided NOT to buy from them again--but Catherine, who owns Fleurville, came on here to address everyone's concerns and pretty much said that she would deal with the issues we had. I had many email 'conversations' with her and apparently the manufacturer they were using had a bad batch of vinyl and they're not sure which bags are affected, and also the manufacturer did not pound the magnetic closures in well enough and that's why they are breaking. She is going to exchange my Choc. Cord as well--had she not addressed the issues personally,I would not ever think of buying from them again--She has been soooo nice about concerns and questions and just wants her customers to be happy with the bags! She is also testing something for the vinyl--I think she said it's called 'Amazing Goop' to patch the holes without them getting bigger, but she is just starting to try it.

That said--I **LOVE** my MS! Not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but the bag is big enough to fit everything I need. When my Choc. Cord broke this weekend, I switched my stuff into my Skip Hop and couldn't get what I had *easily* in my MS into this bag! I did not like it at all--for me, the Skip Hop will be more of when my son is older or when I want to hang it off the back of my MBUS for a walk. It is def. comfortable to wear shoulder style, but the strap is not big enough to use as a messenger style bag. I like the strap, although many have complained it is too wide--I think that is what makes it comfortable!

If you want one, I would buy from them or a reputable seller and keep your receipts in case you have the issues that some of us have--for exchanging reasons--Ebay MSs *still* go for a hefty sum and you won't be able to exchange it because of that!

Another bag to consider is the Timi and Leslie Large Bebe bag or the Backpack! I know that someone on the Babybags board is selling her--actually there are a couple that are selling them--it might be something to consider!

The Kecci bags are nice, too--I have a navy one--and again, while it is a beautiful bag, it's smaller than the MS and won't fit all of your needs inside nicely--Someone compared that size to the Alpha-7...

Whatever you decide--Good Luck!!!

Amy :X
2 DDs
DS-8/9/04

angelfan25
12-08-2004, 03:53 PM
I have had my MS for about 8 mos and have used it A LOT. Mine does have little pin hole at 2 of the corners but honestly I don't see what the big deal is. I use it on every vacation and weekend trip, we take it to the beach, pool and the park and I set it down on the ground (which could be the reason for the pin holes). You can't see the holes unless you are really inspecting it very closely. I would definately buy this bag again regardless of the tiny little holes.

I'm a big girl (5'9) and I can't wear it messenger, but wearing it on my shoulder is very comfortable. It also hangs on the stroller very well.

HTH!!

Shelly
Tucker Ryan 3/19/04
Carson Tex 11/9/04
Both adopted at birth

SteelerFan
12-08-2004, 08:49 PM
I don't think the those on here were returning or complaining about their bags for mere pin holes--I know that both of my bags that I've compained about and returned have HUGE holes in the corners of the bags plus the pockets AND the Choc. Cord has a tear along the seam of the bag. Catherine did say that they had MANY complaints about the vinyl and that the manufacturer that were using used a bad batch of vinyl and that was the result. If I only had pinholes I would have been happy! LOL! But honestly, holes in *ANY* type of bag with less than a month using or only a couple of months is ridiculous--natural wear and tear on an item is one thing, but blatant manufacturing defects is another. But as I said, I love these bags....I just hope that I don't continue to have issues with them because for the price I expect better!

Amy
2 DDs
DS-8/9/04

angelfan25
12-09-2004, 01:40 AM
I was not reffering to you, and I would hope you would not assume that. If there are major defects then obviously they need to be addressed and taken care of. I was just stating the fact that pin holes ar bound to happen with normal wear & tear the way the vinyl is at the corners and not something to scare you away from buying.

It sounds like Catherine has really been helpful to you and I hope all your bag issues are resolved.

Good luck!

Shelly
Tucker Ryan 3/19/04
Carson Tex 11/9/04
Both adopted at birth

SteelerFan
12-09-2004, 08:29 AM
I didn't think you were referring to me 'specifically', no--I just wanted to add that those who complained were upset because they were significant holes! Absolutely natural wear and tear is bound to happen, but I know that mine happened on the Blue Choc. in a 5 week period after my son's birth so for the first 2 weeks I wasn't even going anywhere so you're talking about limited usage--and the Choc. Cord is the same thing--bought it in October and have significant holes and then on Saturday my magnetic closure broke! AGH!!!! Catherine (AND David) have been extremely accomadating with helping me out this time--they are sending me a new bag and I couldn't be happier, but I'm just so leery that this problem will occur again--especially because she said they are not sure which 'batches' of bags are going to be affected! I don't want to become a pest to them, but when you spend a lot of money on a 'quality' bag that touts star usage, I expect that the bag will be of quality. She assured me that they will no longer be using the manufacturer that these bags came from so hopefully I'll have a nice long life with my bags! That is another reason I had discouraged Ebay Buying of the MS--if those problems do occur, one can't get their money back OR exchange the bag--which would really stink!

Please don't think I had my hackles up--I know it's hard to read inflections and humor in postings--it was not a person thinking "OH, she's talking about ME, get her!" LOL!!!

Amy
2 DDs
DS-8/9/04