PDA

View Full Version : Non-diaper bag use?

nd93
12-16-2004, 02:11 PM
A lot of these "nicer" bags are also touted as being useable for other purposes - purse, gym bag, tote bag, etc. Does anyone out there really use their diaper bag for something else? I'm trying to justify buying a new bag, but I really wonder if after I'm done toting diapers, will I really use it for the gym or as a purse?

Thanks!

audball
12-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I have yet to be out of diaper bags (my youngest is just turning one), but I think I will be using these bags for other purposes. I had a lot of purses, but never used them as much as bags/backpacks. These are much more stylish that the standard backpacks I had.

Justified getting these cuter diaper bags because of their interior organization (which will help alot if I use them for the gym or work in the future). To put my mind (and DH's) at ease, I did sell quite a few of my other non-diaper bags :)...

khakismom
12-16-2004, 03:57 PM
I actually use my Posh by Tori dipe bag as a regular, every-day purse (and only throw dipes in it if I need them).

Momof3Labs
12-16-2004, 04:07 PM
I use my Maclaren tote diaper bag as a work bag. It holds my laptop and a stack of papers quite well. The pockets hold train schedules and tickets, and my calculator and some pens. And the key clip is great for my access card and desk keys. I've actually never used this bag as a diaper bag - it went straight to the office!

I love that it looks professional enough to go to any client meeting, but also travels well on the plane with me, fits nicely under my feet on the train, and holds so much stuff!

http://www.babyaunt.com/bh023078.html

http://www.specialtybaby.com/mactotbaginc.html

I have a charcoal grey one in use, and a blue one waiting in the wings (it isn't as bright as the picture in the link). (And, no, I didn't pay that price - they were going for about $13 at TJ Maxx several months ago.)

MamaKath
12-16-2004, 07:05 PM
I have a LE small tote that will be used for many years as a purse, their large totes which will be my kids overnight bags until they are much older, will use the Baby Sherpa for many years when we hike or go into the city where we need to bring lunch (boy was I the hit of the party when I had drinks for the 9 family members on Saturday so they wouldn't have to spend $2 a piece ;-)), my well worn Vera Bradley Baby Bag is now my crochet tote and many others as well. Evetually I may go back to work, and many of my bags could easily tote a laptop, files, or other items. :-) I agree with the previous poster, many of these are more suitable for daily life than many of the purses I used to own.

HTH~

robmab719
12-17-2004, 10:25 AM
A lot of my diaper bags make great carry-on bags for plane trips without the baby. The organization helps keep my ticket and ID easily accessible and I use the bottle pockets to take bottled water for me and DH. I can even fit my laptop into most of them, and there are a couple of them (the Chelsey Henry comes to mind) that will even accomodate file folders for business trips.

Also, the vinyl coated bags make for great pool/beach bags. I loved taking my Mothership to the pool last summer. The flap made sure no splashes ended up in my bag and it would be a great size for taking a book and some snacks along for the day.

nd93
12-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I had baby #3 earlier this year, and he should be our last. Our current bags work fine, but since finding this board I'm getting diaper bag envy and wishing for something new! I'd like to see the Loom marsupial in person - I think I'd really like all of the organization inside. So I'm trying to justify such a purchase - in a couple of years will it just end up getting tossed out? And DH would probably flip if I spent any more money on a diaper bag, since there's nothing wrong with the 2 we have now. They are ok, just not great.

saschalicks
12-17-2004, 05:42 PM
I used my WW bag for everyday to go to work. I've since turned it into my knitting bag, b/c all of the pockets are great for that. HTH